This Ruger M77 is Nice!

Dogger

Thanks to all you TFL'rs who turned me on to the Ruger M77 in 7x57mm and the Leopold 3-9x40!!! Took it to the NRA range last night, and even though it was only at 50 yards, the session was great. Set the scope on 4x. First round was 3 inches high. Made the click adjustments and the next 3 rounds went into one hole less than a half inch in diameter, just north and west of the bull. This group was shot with two 140 grain Federal factory loads and the Federal 175 grain factory load. All three holes were touching. Recoil was moderate to say the least. And guys, I am not an accomplished rifle shooter. This was my first outing with a scoped bolt action rifle. HOOAHH!!!!!

Kernel

Great rifle, great cartridge, great scope. No flies on the 7x57 but did you consider the 6.5x55, or could you not find one, I know your a fan of the cartridge.

I've got a 3-9x40 Leupold on a .223 M77 MkII stainless with the new Ruger gray/green laminate stock. I call it my "walking coyote rifle". It's a neat little rifle and my third Ruger bolt action. The other two being a M77v "classic" in .243 and a long action MkII in 6.5x55. If the house caught on fire I don't know which one I'd grab first. -- Kernel

Dogger

Kernel, I picked up an M38 Swedish Mauser carbine back in May. I had some trouble acquiring the front sight post in the artificial lighting at the NRA range. Put some orange paint on it and was shooting 5 round groups into 1.75 inches at 50 yards with the iron sights and the Federal Classic 140 grainers. The Swedish Mauser has great balance and is a pleasure to shoot. I pondered a long time between the 6.5x55 or the 7x57 in the Ruger M77. Since I already had the 6.5x55 in the Swede Mauser, I decided to order the Ruger in 7x57.

Now I am seriously thinking of acquiring another M77 in 6.5x55 :)

But I keep thinking about a 30-06, too...

Too many great cartridges and too little money.

The M38 Swede is really a nice rifle. But it shoots about 5 inches high with the current front site post. I am thinking of replacing it with one from Brownell's.

I am amazed that both the 6.5x55 and 7x57 are not more popular with shooters. The Swede seems to be a little more popular than the 7x57 in Northern Virginia. The only way I can get 7x57 ammo is to order it. I can find 6.5x55 in stock at several stores.

The Leupold scope is a real joy. Bright beyond belief. I have heard that Burris makes a good scope too, but have not seen any that I can put my hands on for a close look.

What a great hobby. :)