This rifle cleans...too fast?

Redhook

My friend has a Blaser LRS2 .308win that cleans unusually fast and I'd like to know what may be causing this or if this is normal.

We recently started reloading together and since about that time his gun cleans in a snap. We'll shoot 20rds between cleanings and all he has been using to clean is Hoppe's No. 9. He's got his proceedure down to two wet patches to push out the crud, 5-10 passes with a bore brush, one wet patch for loose crud, one wet patch scrub 5-10 passes, and two dry patches. And it's clean! No powder and no copper!

It takes me four times as long with my Rem 700. I don't get a lot of copper, but I have to work hard to get the powder out. BTW, both guns have gone through a breakin proceedure and each has between 500-700rds through them.

So what could it be? I've heard of breaking a barrel in, but even this seems like a dream come true? Is that what you think happened?

Thanks!
-Red-

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I'm assuming you're both shooting .308? And with the same powder?

If your rifle is fouling more than his, it can only be from powder residue getting into miniscule "cavities" in the metal. This sez that the final polish or final cut in his barrel was better done in the manufacturing process than for your rifle.

How else could fouling build up more in your barrel than in his?

"Break in" can smooth the surface against which the bullet rubs. (As well as add wear to the barrel.) It can't actually fill all those "leftover" microscopic rips and tears in the grooves, made by the rifling-cutter.

Otherwise, dangfino.

Art

swifter...

I have a 6MM AI that cleans very easily. The finishing touch on the custom barrel was to handlap it to 1200 grit. The fouling almost falls out...:D

I'd say that the Blaser bore has a better internal finish than Remington's (not hard...:( ), which they oughta, for the price. Remington makes a really nice action, but their barrels are inconsistent, IMHO...

Tom

Dave P

Rem bbls are often very rough. Mine have been, they take days to clean! I set them on my cleaning table and work them and let them soak for a day, then I come back and do some more.

But, nobody says your bbls have be clean as a virgin to shoot well. Many ppl like to shoot a couple/three fouling shots to get them settled!