THIS is why I keep looking at the gun classifieds

RodTheWrench

So a guy about an hour North of me posted the 3913 last night on a local online gun classifieds - for 300 bucks. I got a hold of him right away and arranged the meet today. When we got together, he said "Holy cow, I've got 6 guys that called this morning wanting this thing - one guy even offered me more! But I told him you were first." Wow, I thought that was awful nice of him. THEN, after I paid the cash, he said "What do you know about these guns?" And produced a model 622. I told him what I knew, then ventured a "Is it for sale too?". He said sure, so I dug deep (emergency $$ deep!) in the ol' wallet, produced another 300 and it was mine.

Part of the reason I threw down on both guns is these things seriously look like they've never been shot, maybe a box worth each. The guy said he bought them both on the same day 25 years ago and they've been sitting in a lockbox pretty much since.

Now THAT is what keeps a gun hound like me going!

:D

Posting pictures when I get home!

Last edited:

Uncle Malice

Ughh... I'm going to assume you didn't mean to post someones phone number here. Might want to resolve that ASAP.

Good scores though. :)

tangolima

Just yesterday I saw an ad for a nice colt 1903 hammerless for $425. It had been there for weeks with no taker. I PMed the guy immediately. He replied saying the pistol had just gone SPF. Man did I kick myself?

-TL

RodTheWrench

Of course I have to thank you guys here on TFL for turning me on to the awesomeness of the 3913. I've always been a S&W fan, but had no clue about that particular line.

Oh, thanks too for my Hi-Power addiction. My wife may soon ban me from here! ;)

There's only two S&W semi-autos that I really like, the 645/4506 line and the 3900 line.

In my experience, they're the best of the lot that S&W has offered over the years, and also fit my hands the best.

doofus47

I don't get it. Can you educate me, please, in 50 words or less.
I'm completely unfamiliar with this type of pistol.

"I don't get it. Can you educate me, please, in 50 words or less.
I'm completely unfamiliar with this type of pistol."

What?

What type of pistol? A semi-automatic?

How about do a site search?

carguychris

doofus47 said:
I'm completely unfamiliar with this type of pistol.
If it's the M3913, its family has been discussed at length in this recent thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551770

The M622 is the stainless version of the M422, and was part of S&W's previous "Sport" rimfire pistol series aimed at the informal plinking and target market. These pistols are roughly based on the M61 and use a 10 or 12rd mag. The design is somewhat unusual in that the barrel is housed inside the lower frame, and the slide and recoil spring ride above and behind it. This configuration gives the pistol a very high sight plane, which, together with a factory-threaded barrel, makes it unusually suppressor-friendly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_422

Last edited:

willr

Those are great pistols. My main problem is that of a private transaction. I hope you got some paperwork, receipts, name, etc. I guess I am paranoid, but I have read too much about stolen weapons. There used to be a way that an individual could check on serial numbers -- but not anymore. I remember a case in which a man reported firearms stolen from his house in a burglary. Cops checked serial numbers and arrested him for possessing stolen arms! The only out he had was the receipt from the dealer who sold them to him.

willr

ritepath

I must have 50 or more Facebook BST groups. I browse each one of them several times a day keeping an eye open for deals I'm interested in.

Nice Find....you have to be quick that's for sure.

RodTheWrench

I keep record of all correspondence (usually texts) that goes on between me and the seller. I always get their name as we are showing each other our driver licenses/Concealed-Carry permits to ensure we are both residents of the same State - all that is required in Utah. Having their name and phone # is about all the info I need IF something weird happens. I don't do deals with sketchy people, and I've walked away from more than one with "Sorry man, this one's not for me.".

To my original post, I abso-freaking-lutely LOVE the way that 3913 feels in my hand! The bobbed hammer is awesome, and I really like the ambi decocker. The gun came with both flush and pinky-extender mags - I can't wait to shoot it! The 622 should be fun too, I've already got a blued 422 plinker with barrel adapter for a supressor, so I'm thinking more of the same but better sight radius which may improve accuracy.

Who knows? I was on an S&W wheelgun kick last year, why not a round of all-metal S&W semi-auto collecting this year? :)

agtman

Sounds like a very nice pair of guns in pristine condition that were acquired thru theft or burglary prior to your transaction. :eek:

Yeah, I'd have asked for mucho documentation too. Not suggesting anything on your part, but something about this deal just raises my suspicions.