This Is It, New Rifle Coming...Which One?

amprecon

Well, it's tax refund time and a new rifle is in order. As I thought I knew what I wanted, when it comes down to laying the cash down on the table, reality sets in and the alternatives you've disregarded get renewed interest.
I had thought I had my mind made up on an M1A Scout Squad as I already have a standard M1A, .308 ammo and M1A magazines and I can readily get a new one for $1,600.

I have been looking for a general purpose smallish rifle that could fill most perceptible niches well, such as deer/hog hunting, shtf scenarios, range gun, general defense gun, etc. etc.

I have had this annoying infatuation with the 6.8spc cartridge for some time now and have been wanting a rifle in that caliber for awhile, but as ammo is so much more expensive than .308 I disregarded it.

I have always held the AR rifles in disregard, between being in .223, a caliber I have no use for and being a direct impingement gas system, a system I'm not fond of, I disregarded the AR design unless it had a gas piston and was chambered in 6.8spc. However AR's with gas pistons make them prohibitively expensive.

My primary interest in a 6.8 piston AR was the XCR rifle, but at nearly $2K I just can't justify it. In my previous searches of AR rifles in 6.8 I found that I prefer Rock River Arms Mid-Lengths in 6.8. For under $1K I could have a handy smallish rifle in a potent caliber that could fill the niche I need, I just need to get over my reservations of the direct impingement gas system.

So, I've narrowed my choices down to two contenders, an M1A Scout Squad in .308 or a RRA Middy in 6.8spc.

So what do you guys think? The money saved going with the RRA could go towards getting a few magazines and ammo. Also the RRA Mid is 2lbs lighter and 4" shorter than the M1A Scout Squad making it truly a handier little rifle.

Scoob956

For me this decision is easy. Go with the RRA rifle, variety man :)

I own an m1a scout and there is no way I would drop the cash on a slighty different model, they are too much alike.

My next rifle purchase will be some form of AR as well, most likely lwrc

blume357

I'll even up the vote... I go for the Scout

keep you ammo choices simple. You need at least two of everything 'good' anyway.

kaylorinhi

OK if you want to fill "most" holes in your yard lines, the M1A does long to a realistic sub hundred for reaction time to shots on target, I say get the AR series. I am interested in the .30 AR from Rem? read a few articles but no real normal guy test's on it. Just to make your decision more complicated!

amprecon

Well I did it, I couldn't overcome the draw to the 6.8spc cartridge so I went with the RRA LAR-6.8 Mid-Length A4 with the RRA flip front sight gas block as the only option.
I mailed off the money order today and don't have many reservations about it all.
I have always been against the direct impingement gas system, but I've wanted a 6.8 caliber rifle for some time now and just can't afford the piston driven variants and also can't fully trust the Ruger Mini-14 rifles for accuracy.
So I'm going to find out on my own about the DI systems.
I paid just over $1K with the front sight option for a complete rifle, now comes the loooong wait. I'm really looking forward to getting acquainted with this rifle as much as I've chided the design all these years. I plan to buy C-Products mags, I've heard good reviews about them and they're much cheaper than the PRI mags.