This is as far as I've gotten on my first build.

Geezerbiker

I previously posted about my trials with the bolt catch pin and that was as far as I could get then. The parts kit I had ordered didn't include the grip or trigger parts. Midway had a more complete kit on sale, so I jumped on it. I'm past the end of my gun budget for at least a few month so it'll be awhile before I post more updates.

AR_Lower.jpg

The instructions I was using were pretty good but didn't show how the hammer spring went but I figured that out. After installing the grip, I found the safety lever didn't want to move. So I pulled the grip back off and I couldn't see the problem but I managed to launch the spring and who knows where it went. Fortunately I had a spare for the other parts kit.

The trigger pull is long, gritty and stiff. I'll pull it back down and stone the sear and trigger but I'm afraid of launching that spring again. I look for a 10 pack of those before I start work again.

BTW, I used my thumb to catch the hammer so it didn't strike the receiver.

So what do y'all think?

Tony

Last edited:

Geezerbiker

Sorry about the size of the pic. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Also I'm not sure what all those white flecks in the pic are, it doesn't look like that in real life. I tried to fix it but it doesn't seem any better...

the 2 nicks behind the bolt catch are my fault as is the brass rub mark where the buffer tube screws in. I think that last mark will come off with a little Ed's Red...

Tony

Last edited:

stagpanther

My advice is stay away from "custom mods" to your trigger until you are confident about understanding the relationship between the various parts--it's the nature of AR fire control groups that when you change one thing--it often effects something else at the same time. At least wait til you have a complete operational firearm before starting the mods. A stiff selector is a good indication there is a potential issue with the trigger. I wouldn't sweat the cosmetic blemishes on a $40 lower--if you do you'll eventually have a heart attack once you start shooting it it the wild.;)

GarandTd

I just completed my own build last night. The roll pins or spring pins were a p.i.t.a., but the rest was pretty easy. I also marred up the finish a little on the receiver at the bolt catch.

mulespurs

Brownells

I would look at the tutorials on Brownellls website. There should be everything you need to know there.

Mobuck

"My advice is stay away from "custom mods" to your trigger until you are confident about understanding the relationship between the various parts"

I'd modify that comment to "stay away from kitchen table AR trigger jobs entirely". But that's just my opinion.

9x19

Just FYI, with GI style triggers/hammers there is no need to remove the safety just to remove/reinstall the hammer and trigger, so no need to remove the grip, so no lost springs, unless you drop the dis-connector spring. :D

HiBC

Whether you "need" this is subject to debate. As I have built a few AR's,the time/trouble saved by having these specialty punches made them a very good investment for me

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...eries-ar-15-bolt-catch-installation-punch-kit

Giselle and others have come out with a number of good AR-15 triggers.Maybe now there is a better choice,but bang for the buck a very good choice has been the Rock River two stage National Match. Plug and play. I have Jewell,Giselle,and the Rock River. All are great. I don't hesitate to recommend the Rock River as the economical choice.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1339

Study real close! That little safety spring is not the only spring held captive by the grip!A detent goes with the spring,too.

You need to find and understand where the buffer retainer plunger and spring go,the pivot pin detent and spring,and the takedown pin detent and spring,along with the safety detent and spring.

Birchwood Casey/G-96 makes a felt tip touch up pen for AR "oops" marks. It works good. If its GI spec hard anodizing,often the mark is a stain of metal the anodizing has cut off of another piece of metal.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

The roll pins or spring pins were a p.i.t.a., but the rest was pretty easy. I also marred up the finish a little on the receiver at the bolt catch.
Use the wheeler punch set I mentioned in the other AR build thread. Did mine easy peasy with no tape, and no marring. Twice in fact because I didn't realize lower wouldn't fit on my vice block upside down for the trigger guard and grip install with the bolt release installed:eek:

Geezerbiker

I think I had the safety detent spring bound the first time I put the grip on. After removing and replacing the grip, the problem was gone. My only complaint about the Stoner parts kit was that they cheeped out grip screw. It's a round head slotted screw. I need to go to the hardware store tomorrow and I'm going to get a couple Allen head screws.

I probably won't get around to working on it again until I have more money for new parts to add to the build. As a side note, I dry fired it a bunch (while not letting the hammer strike the receiver) and the trigger pull is not so gritty any more.

I already ordered a stripped upper from the local dealer and when I have money to get the next parts kit, I might get a set of lightened trigger springs. It'll be a couple months unless other things go really right. Around here, winter means tight money...

Tony

stagpanther

If this is one of your first builds and you got the front pivot pin in without launching the spring and detent pin into orbit--I say job well done.;)

Geezerbiker

It's my very first AR15 build but I used to be a motorcycle mechanic and I'm good with tools...

It sucks to be broke. Right now several of the parts I want for this build are on sale... :(

Tony

stagpanther

It's my very first AR15 build but I used to be a motorcycle mechanic and I'm good with tools...

It sucks to be broke. Right now several of the parts I want for this build are on sale...

Tony
Probably won't be your last--they're great fun to build. Not a cheap hobby though. And then there's reloading...;)

brasscollector

Yep, theres reloading, and optics. Then maybe try another grip/stock. Oh look at all these spare parts, I'm halfway to building another one...

stagpanther

Yep, theres reloading, and optics. Then maybe try another grip/stock. Oh look at all these spare parts, I'm halfway to building another one...

stagpanther

I've been reloading for 30 years. I know how addicting it is....
Well then, you're going to want to make sure you get good barrels! And then there's the whole wildcat world to explore.

Might as well apply for your ARAnonymous membership now.:D

Metal god

My advice is stay away from "custom mods" to your trigger until you are confident about understanding the relationship between the various parts--it's the nature of AR fire control groups that when you change one thing--it often effects something else at the same time. At least wait til you have a complete operational firearm before starting the mods

^^^^^^that^^^^^^

Might as well apply for your ARAnonymous membership now

LMAO , oh man so true on many levels . I'm not only addicted to building them . I'm in CA so it's best I stay anonymous about it lol .