This is a Great Editorial in Local Paper!

Jonpod

I live near Roanoke Virginia where there is a local mall that has banned all CCW on its premises. It has stirred up a lot of controversy. Here is today's latest touche' for our side.
www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story126174.html

YOU DON'T know me, or maybe you just don't know that you do. I could be your neighbor, doctor, clergyman, nurse or just another nameless, faceless stranger in the crowd. I have a valid, court-issued permit to carry a concealed handgun, and I do so whenever possible.

Though you don't know me, there are a few things you can know about me for certain. The local police fingerprinted me. The fingerprint cards were submitted to the FBI and a criminal background check was performed. Before that, I had to pass state and local background checks. I had to present evidence of approved firearm-safety and marksmanship training to the court before my application would even be accepted.

I am not a felon, junkie, drug dealer, stalker or even a shoplifter, since any number of indiscretions, including alcohol or other drug abuse or even simple assault, would disqualify me from holding my permit.

My classroom training covered when it is appropriate and legal to even indicate that I have a gun, much less display it or actually use deadly force. Doing so in any circumstance, under which I am not in immediate fear for my life or the life of another, would mean more than the loss of my permit. Most likely, I would also be charged with brandishing a weapon, disorderly conduct and/or assault.

If it was determined that my use of deadly force was not to protect a life in immediate danger, I would probably be charged with second-degree murder or first-degree manslaughter. On top of these, I would also face civil liability.

Like most people who legally carry concealed handguns, I practice at a range regularly and am well aware of the laws and regulations affecting me.

I am not a nonresident alien. I am a good citizen, and I vote.

I avoid conflict. I know that should a situation escalate, I could be identified as the instigator and face losing my permit or worse.

I am very aware of the responsibility I bear, and I will walk or run away rather than risk confrontation.

I will, however, act swiftly and decisively to protect my life and the lives of those around me should the need arise. Are you afraid of me?

In my home state of Virginia, not one permit holder has been convicted of a violent gun crime despite more than 100,000 issued permits. Throughout the entire United States, not one police officer has ever been shot by a person with a legal handgun. A number have, however, been assisted and even rescued by armed, law-abiding citizens.

You should feel a degree of comfort knowing that there is someone nearby with the means, motive and training to possibly save your life, or that of those around you.

Criminals, on the other hand, should feel fear, never knowing if their next intended victim might be armed, trained and ready to effectively defend himself. If you feel safer patronizing establishments with a "No guns allowed" policy, please keep in mind that the criminals don't obey the signs or the laws.

Criminals know that the law-abiding customers of that establishment are easy prey and will have little or no fear of the consequences of their actions. The hallways and parking lots of these establishments might just as well post a sign saying: "Attention, criminals. You are now entering a self-defense-free crime zone. All potential victims have been disarmed! Enjoy! The Management."

There is no need to fear me, I am just another loyal, law-abiding American. You should, however, be very afraid of those who endeavor to turn the entire law-abiding population of our great country into defenseless victims.

TIM ANDERSON of Boones Mill works as a mechanic for the government.

Last edited:

jimsbowies

Wow

Wonderful piece....every reader of these forums should copy and send to their local papers and malls and any store that posts prohibitions against concealed weapons....

:)

Sergeant Bob

Very interesting read. However, he leaves himself open to be discredited with the statement..
Throughout the entire United States, not one police officer has ever been shot by a person with a legal handgun.
[
PHP:
Ever?
I have a feeling that wouldn't stand up under close scrutiny.

DaiBando

And in contrast . . .

From the same paper, dated 02/20/2002 - (Who is the bigger threat to society?):

http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story126199.html

Judge suspends $800 of $1,000 fine
Franklin County official convicted of brandishing weapon

The charge stems from a Dec. 22 incident at the Williamson Road Wendy's drive-through.

By TAD DICKENS
THE ROANOKE TIMES

It was a big order - 10 junior bacon cheeseburgers and a chicken sandwich - and it had taken a long time to get it at the Williamson Road Wendy's drive-through.

The tension was already thicker than the restaurant's Frosty shake Dec. 22 when Anita Peggins discovered she'd been shorted the chicken sandwich. Claude Webster, Franklin County's director of public safety, was waiting in the car behind her that afternoon, beeping his horn at her, both testified. They cursed at each other.

"She said, 'You bald-headed b-----d,'" Webster testified Tuesday. "She was coming toward me."

Then, Webster testified, he pulled his .22-caliber revolver out of the glove box, and held it up where she could see.

"I said, 'Do you want to get shot?'" he testified.

Roanoke General District Judge Jacqueline Talevi convicted Webster of brandishing a firearm. She fined him $1,000, suspending $800 on the condition that he get into no similar trouble, and she ordered Webster to forfeit the weapon.

His troubles may not be over, though. Franklin County Administrator Rick Huff said that after the conviction, he placed Webster on administrative leave without pay until Huff can review the incident.

Webster was soft-spoken and composed on the stand as he gave his version of the events. But Peggins said his manner was different that afternoon as she, her daughter, her boyfriend and his daughter got their food. They had pulled far enough away from the drive-through window for Webster to get his food. But there was no room for Webster to get out after he received his order, both testified.

He was "ranting, raving and cursing," Peggins testified. She gave as good as she got, she said under cross-examination from Webster's attorney, Robert Rider.

She denied that she walked toward him. She said she was still in the car, but her feet were on the ground as she prepared to go inside for the chicken sandwich.

Peggins said she was frightened when she saw the gun, partially holstered and pointed at her.

"I don't want to get shot over a cheeseburger," she said.

Webster, under cross-examination from Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Ann Gardner, said he, too, was scared when he saw the woman coming at him.

He said he showed Peggins the weapon just to warn her away, and he held the barrel down.

"I didn't want to harm them," he said. "I was just warning them not to come near me."

He testified that Peggins said, "'Do you want to shoot me? Do you want to shoot me? Huh?'"

Webster said, "'You're not worth me wasting my bullet,'" Peggins told the judge.

She replied, "You're worth me taking your tag number and calling police," she told the judge. She reported the incident that day.

Webster declined to comment after the hearing.

Staff writer Mike Allen contributed to this story.

(BTW, the original link is bad - got another?)

Jonpod

I tried to fix that link but it still will not work even though it exactly matches the address. Maybe they have some sort of protection against hot linking. To get to the article go to the news section of the page that comes up. Click on editorials in roanoke then click on commentary that will pull up the letter that appeared in today's paper.

Interesting also to note this letter is featured with a graphic of a hand holding a Sig Sauer pistol pointing toward the reader. The muzzle of the pistol is overlaid with the symbol for a male(ie. a circle with the arrow). The arrow is the front sight of the pistol while the circle overlays the end of the barrel. Some kind of macho thing from the editor's view I suppose? I expect no less from this liberal rag.

Monkeyleg

Sergeant Bob, for the better part of a year I've been trying to find an instance in which a person legally carrying a concealed weapon shot a law enforcement officer. To date, the search has been in vain. If you're aware of any such shooting, please let me know so I can follow up on it. I'm not being facetious. The brochures our group gives to legislators says there have been no such shootings, and I don't want to lie.

DaiBando

This is rich . . .

About two weeks ago, this thread dealt with an idiot columnist up in Minnesota who was against CCW:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100483&highlight=duluth

I sent him the original article of this thread as well as the one I posted.

That last one was especially appropriate as in Mr. Cook's words, "It isn't that I think a concealed-carry law would change my daily life or yours a great deal. I don't think we would see road-rage incidents turn into shootings. I don't think people in line ahead of me at McDonald's are going to brandish a pistol if they don't get their fries."

He's right. He only has to worry about the officials of the State. :D

papercut

The no-guns-in-the-mall stuff seems to have touched off quite a wave of letters, editorials and commentaries. I found several while trying to locate Jonpod's story. Here's a sample.

From http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story125843.html

Thursday, February 14, 2002
The case for responsible gun ownership
Concealed weapons help protect even gun critics

By GEORGE MANNING

I WOULD LIKE to respond to authors of several letters concerned about gun owners "packing heat" at the mall. Lately, I have read several negative views on gun ownership and the state-granted right to carry concealed weapons. I am one of those these writers would like to ostracize from "their" shopping centers.

In April Moore's letter, "Gun rights are fine, but not at the mall (Jan. 29)," she states, "Idiots hide behind that as their right to carry a sawed-off shotgun to the 7-Eleven." I don't think you and I live on the same planet. Do you realize those of us who are concealed-handgun-license holders are fingerprinted, background-checked, responsible individuals?

We have gone out of our way to legally possess the means to defend ourselves and our loved ones from those who might choose to do us harm. We don't carry a sawed-off shotgun nor would you know if we did.

We are the quiet folks who don't make trouble. Honestly, my own wife doesn't know if I'm carrying half the time. If you fear for us to share the same shopping center as yourself, I berate you because chances are you couldn't tell if the person next to you is armed legally or not.

I may sound indignant in saying so, but you should honestly be relieved to know that some of us "gun nuts" are out there. If you believe we are present, so does the "less-than-honorable" crowd. Just as your fear of being attacked may keep you from walking alone at night, their fear of an armed victim may protect us all. I will continue to shop at Valley View Mall in hopes that they will see the error of their ways, just as I will continue to carry my concealed firearm in accordance with the right granted me by the state of Virginia.

In response to Bob Craig's letter, "Gun enthusiasts, update your thinking (Jan. 29)," sir, you should do a little more research before espousing your learned opinion.

The armed individual who callously struck down the staff at the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy was apprehended by private citizens who were armed and forced him to surrender his gun before they tackled the illegally armed assailant. Perhaps if someone nearer the scene had been armed, this tragedy might have been averted.

You asked: "How can an individual who harbors such an irrational fear of the public ever feel comfortable leaving home?" I find myself neither fearful nor uncomfortable leaving my home, yet I almost always carry my concealed handgun. I explain this action to my wife as "I would rather carry it and hope to never need it than find myself in need of it and realize I had left it at home." Liken it, if you will, to a spare tire in your car. Chances are you will never need such an item, yet you wouldn't leave home without it.

I am one of those you fear. Perhaps you should see who I am in the context of my daily life. I am a college-educated, respectable, loving husband and father who has thought enough of his family to provide the means for their defense should the need ever arise.

Chances are I will never need to draw my weapon, and you will never know who I am or that I am armed. But the belief that I may be nearby will comfort my loved ones, needlessly worry people such as yourselves and give those unsavory elements of society reason to think again before inflicting harm. With that knowledge, I will sleep well tonight.

GEORGE MANNING of Roanoke works as an Internet technology director for a collection firm.

papercut

And then this at http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story125796.html

Wednesday, February 13, 2002

Virginia is for (gun) lovers

Allowing weapons in the buildings where lawmakers conduct state business breaches the spirit of homeland security.

THE NATION is in a state of heightened alert over homeland security - but someone forgot to tell Virginia's General Assembly.

During a meeting last week to debate the merits of allowing Virginians to carry concealed handguns into bars, some permit holders packed heat as they sat in the committee room in the General Assembly Building.

No doubt, Virginia loves its guns. But as one of the stickers at the hearing read, "Even Miss Kitty made you check your gun at the door."

The presence of legally carried firearms in a gun-control debate is, on its face, ironic. Beyond that, allowing weapons in the building where the state's legislators have their offices and where committee hearings are conducted is incredible in light of the clampdown on security in government and other public facilities across the country.

Even the Roanoke Courthouse prohibits firearms and weapons. The federal courthouse in Roanoke goes a step further: Not only are guns banned, but a visitor has to show photo identification to get beyond security officers at the entrance. Considering the justified apprehension nationwide, these are reasonable measures.

In the wake of Sept. 11, the country is focused and intent on public safety. A director of homeland security has been named to lead the national fight against terrorism. Just last week, President Bush proposed doubling domestic security spending to $38 billion.

Yet in Virginia, permit holders can waltz into the General Assembly meeting rooms and the Capitol with handguns - an indulgence at odds with the spirit of homeland security.

No one argues that gun owners aren't law-abiding citizens. But legally concealed weapons are one more way in which guns are permeating society, slipping into places they don't belong and putting lives at risk.

The legislators should diminish the risk to themselves and others doing business with them by enacting laws that would prohibit weapons in the General Assembly building. Miss Kitty would be proud.

Monkeyleg

"Miss Kitty" (Amanda Blake, for those of you too young to remember) would probably have shot this half-baked "journalist" herself.

God, am I tired of the same rantings. It's especially tiring when they try to apply those rants to so-called sacrosanct areas like legislatures. If our elected officials are so emotionally unstable that they can't be trusted to carry a gun with them into hearings, are they really stable enough to even hold office?

Beyond all that, though, lies the question of whether the public should be trusted with guns at all. Concealed carry laws enable people to carry guns away from home, an idea that the anti's find frightening. However, the anti's try to assuage us by saying that they don't object to us having guns in our homes for self-protection. Well, what's to stop someone from shooting his neighbor from the bedroom window? Should we confine gun ownership to interior closets in the home that are x number of feet away from a window or door?

These people are sick.

d`leasha

hollywood rules!

so, the VERY best argument they can make is that they're sure a fictional character from an old television show would have approved! color me convinced!

HankB

...there is a local mall that has banned all CCW on its premises...
The way to bring mall management to heel is to strike at their tenant's business. Many years ago, a local mall had it "in" for teenagers. So in large numbers, they took a number of (non-violent!) steps to strike at the mall stores' bottom line.
1. Go to a mall store and select a lot of merchandise. AFTER it gets rung up, wave a wad of cash at the checkout clerk, and tell him/her that because of mall policies, you're going to buy this stuff elsewhere. And walk out.
2. Buy stuff at, for example, the XYZ store in another part of town. Then RETURN it for a refund to an XYZ store at the mall. This return gets subtracted from the mall store's bottom line.
3. When you make a substantial purchase at another store, photocopy your receipt and send it to the mall manager AND the manager of whatever store sells the same product at the mall, and enclose a polite letter telling them why you decided to shop elsewhere.

If you do this alone, you'll be ignored. And adult gun owners might want to think hard about steps 1 and 2. But step #3 alone can be effective, if you get a large number of people to participate. And I'm sure if you think about it, you can come up with other means of peacefully hitting them where it hurts - in their wallets. (Maybe a letter to the mall manager informing him that by instituting his anti-self-defense policy he's assuming personal liability for the safety of all patrons, and if someone HE has disarmed is hurt, then . . . )

Hmmm . . . I don't know what the specific law is regarding a business like a mall banning CCW in Virginia, but most places, ALL entrances need to be posted. Sometimes you can enter a mall through a major store like Sears. So if THAT store hasn't posted . . .