thinking on a browning citori XS 20ga

eastbank

i,m thinking of buying a used browning citori XS 20ga for sporting clays, i found one in ex condition with browning case and 8-9 choke tubes. any con,s? i,m looking for a lighter, quicker swinger. i,m not new to brownings as i own seven browning shotguns and love them. three- O/U,s, two doublebarrels, one single barrel and one auto loader. eastbank.

FITASC

I own one with 30" barrels and it was going to become my main gun (I was going to get rid of 12s since I use 20s for birds anyway)..That idea didn't happen (a move cross country fixed that)
I love mine for clays. Since I reload light loads I choke one constriction tighter than I would if using 7/8 loads. About 7.25#, light enough for fun, but not so light recoil becomes an issue. My only gripe is they also had a 28 sitting next to it - identical in every other way, and I let it get away............

BigJimP

The XS series of shotguns...went thru a lot of variations over the years.

The XS model that I like very much - is the XS Skeet. Its nicely balanced ..... has a parallel comb and came either with or without the adjustable comb as an option. Ultra XS and some of the other variants in the XS line of guns did not all have parallel combs - but they made more than one model within each line. The XS Skeet ...all had the traditional semi-beavertail forend...but I don't remember about the other models.

In the factory configuration - if you're talking about an XS Skeet in a 20ga...with the adj comb ...in 30" barrels ... mine is right at 7.5 lbs. I will typically add 8 oz under forend ..and 8 oz inside stock bolt hole ( being careful not to mess up the balance point ) because I like it a little heavier ( like the 12ga )....but in a 12ga, 20ga...or 28ga or .410 if you find one...its a solid all around gun for Sporting clays, 5 stand, upland birds, skeet etc.../ but not a great Trap gun in my view ( that's where the XT in a 32" barrels shines...in my opinion).

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82011&d=1339792349

Here are my XS Skeet models ....at top is the 12ga, then the 20ga ...and the 28ga and the .410 ...all 30" / the 28ga and .410 were all built on the 20ga receiver.

( But you said it yourself....its a Browning O/U ...there can't be any downside to it ...unless it doesn't fit you !! )....

eastbank

yes it is a XS skeet with 28" barrels and adj comb in ex condition with hard browning case and nine choke tubes. i pulled the trigger on it. eastbank.

Buzzard Bait

wonderfull gun

I have a 20 gauge citori that has a high Winchester type rib sight which fits me like it was custom made for me love shooting it only problem is about every few thousand shots are so the bottom firing pin fails , doesn't break but won't fire the bottom barrel not enough protrusion I replace it and the spring and its back up and going again. who knows? There great shooters and nice looking the weight and balance is just right. I would recommend it to any one, firing pin oddity and all.
bb

eastbank

thanks for the heads up and i,ll look it over good when i give it the once over and good cleaning. i do have seven other browning shotguns with many thousands of shells fired, reloads and factory with out a wimper with general maintance and no parts replaced nada,zilch. my BT-100 has close to 20 thousand alone. eastbank.

FITASC

That is a common thing with Brownings - especially if reloading with cheap primers like Nobel, or if there is some crud buildup in that area.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
About all shooters seem well pleased with Browning XS's. But you already know that! Good Searching, :D