thinking of putting together a custom .30-06

bigghoss

in my opinion no arsenal in the US is complete without a good bolt-gun in the good 'ol red-white-and-blue .30-06. Problem is I can't really seem to find anything to my liking. Then I remembered that savages are easy to do barrel swaps on and you can't swing a dead cat at a gunshow without hitting a long-action 110 in the ~$250 range. plus I much prefer custom to the same off-the-rack thing that anyone could buy, especially if I can get my hands dirty and say I did some of the work myself. I'm thinking I would like something in between a target rifle and a hunting rifle. a heavy straight-tapered 26" barrel and a laminate stock with a profile somewhere between a mcmillian like you might see on a sniper rifle and a regular monte carlo.

It occurred to me I could get a worn but still sound 110, sell the stock and barrel (and cheap-o tasco or whatever throwaway scope might happen to be on it) and maybe be into an action for ~$150. haven't picked a brand yet but I've seen aftermarket barrels that look like they're suit my taste and sometimes even come with the barrel wrench and headspace gauges so I could do the swap myself. send out the bolt to have a larger oversize bolt-handle installed. I'm pretty sure I can make up a laminate stock and then have someone who has the right skills and tools cut the relief for the barreled action, install pillars and glass bed it for me.

not sure what the work on the stock would run but I figure:
-used savage 110: $300
-new barrel: 300
-oversized bolt handle: 100
-make stock and have relived(???): 300
total: ~$1000 + rings, base, and glass

what do you guys think? am I close on the budget? I was thinking to be safe I would allocate $1500 for the project and if I come under that great. this whole thing is a ways off but if I get the planning out of the way now when I have the cash I won't get excited and go off half-cocked and waste any cash.

ndking1126

I'm doing about the same thing except not making my own stock. and I'm building a .223. Certainly savage actions have been used before for making really accurate guns.

bigghoss

I suppose I could get the gun and re-barrel it and open up the channel in the factory stock and then make the stock and get the bolt done latter. if I went that route I could afford to have the gun with the new barrel probably by hunting season this year. but I should probably hold off for a bit anyway.

cordesr1

Ive Been thinking of doing the same thing with a stevens 200 that i have. Just don't like the rifle.

from what i have gathered a barrel is easy to come by from ER Shaw. should be a little over $200 shipped.

Stocks are also easy to find from Boyde around $100 for a laminate

Midway USA has everything else. an oversized bolt handle is under $20 and so is a new bolt face.

All the work should be easy enough to do on your own if you have basic mechanical skills.

bigghoss

hmmm. those boyds stocks are under $100. not quite what I had pictured in my mind but I may just go that route anyway.

NESHOOTER

I have done the same but I without much trouble finding a 26'' barrel that would fit the rifle I have and yes the savage bolt handles are less but if you have win,rem,weatherby, you'll be spending 1ben on it plus shipping so I'm settling on my 24'' barrel and having it sleeved with a teludyne (TTI) straightjacket system. and the only common 26'' barrel I could find is the weatherby Mark V. I have enjoyed each step along the way and I'm sure you will as well.

M.O.A.

I would buy a new stevens there around 300 bucks my 223 was 280 plus tax. Then get the barrel of your liking and triger and replace the recoil lug while the barrels off and the stock and your done with that one and off to the next.

im doing the same with two a stevens 223 and a savage 93r17. the 93 as a good barrel on it already but the triger kinda sucks.

bigghoss

well midway has the bolt handle that is in line with what I want for $80. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=674002

I forgot the name of the barrel maker I was looking at earlier but their options for caliber and barrel profile were staggering and I saw them mentioned on a different board and had a good rep. those were $300 or so.

I suppose I could go with the new stevens VS a used savage since I could flip the barrel and stock for a bit more since they're new, I would think. I'll keep my eyes out and see what I come across.

I would also like a similar rifle in .243 but I'll probably go with a synthetic stock on that. I love tinkering with things so any gun that's easy to mod like this will always get my attention. I have plans for 2 custom ruger 10/22 builds and I'd like to do at least 1 ar15, probably more. it's a really good thing I'm single:D

PawPaw

It seems to me that your project is eminently do-able. The Savage platform lends itself to easy customization and used actions abound. In my neck of the woods, it's a lot easier to find a long action than a short action. The used gun racks are full of used .270s and -06s.

The idea of using the Stevens as a base for the project is a great one, too. Same action, less cost.

Dave Petzal writes about his beanfield gun, which closely approximates the project you want to complete. His is in .25-06, but the concept applies. With the custom aspect of your project, you get to pick things like barrel twist

Have fun with your project and let us know how it turns out.

wch

Savage

Suggest you take a look at: savageshooters.com

The forum there will provide a lot of info for you.

shooter_john

You won't go wrong by perusing savageshooters.com, that is for sure.

I had a very similar urge a couple of years ago, and I ended up with the most accurate rifle I own. I started with a Savage 116SS action and added a McGowen tube (both purchased from a gentleman by the name of Nnorthlander over at savageshooters.com). Then I added a B&C Duramaxx stock and a Nikon Monarch scope, and when all was said and done, the total damage was right at $1K.

You can see the rifle and a couple of her groups in post #49 here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321412&highlight=savage+30+06&page=2

jhgreasemonkey

Here is another outfit that specializes in savage customization. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
I think you have a sound idea there buying a used 110 in .30-06 for your platform.
These guys sell drop in savage barrels up to 28" in any configuration you want for decent prices. http://www.4-dproducts.com/savage-new.php
For affordable laminated stocks for the savage see these guys.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-the-Savage-s/4.htm
Make sure to share pics and a review of your finished product. :)