Thinking of HK USP 40 compact

NC FNS

The USP just came on my radar. I didn’t see too much about it when I searched (but my search skills aren’t all that great). I’d appreciate it if anyone with first-hand experience with the USP 40 compact could take a few minutes and let me know how you like it. Thanks.

cmdc

I have one. I’ve had it for many years and even though I’ve not shot it for a long time, I have no intention of getting rid of it. They were purpose-built for the caliber and I think they’re good shooters. I don’t consider myself a HK fanboy but I definitely have an affinity for them. I also have the P2000 and P2000Sk in 40, as well as the P30L and VP9. I got.357 Sig barrels for the 40 caliber guns just for fun.

OPC

You can check out HKpro.com for all things and details HK.

I don't have a .40, but have had my USPc in .45 and 9mm since early 2000s. These are by far my favorite handguns from what I own. Personally, only 1911s that I've rented would rank higher - and then mostly because of the trigger.

The most common criticism of the USP(c) is the trigger. In DA it is long and heavy. In SA it is better, but far from award winning. I've seen it described as a "rolling trigger", if that gives you any idea of what to expect.

As an older design (originally released in 1993, I believe), you'll find more limited options for holsters and accessories than you would, for say a S&W M&P series.

BarryLee

I've got a USP40 full size and find it reliable and a nice shooter. I shot it a lot during the 9mm ammo shortage of a few years ago and still work it in occasionally although it isn't one of my primary guns.

Mosin44az

Heavy DA trigger which makes the first shot more difficult. Glock and other striker fired guns much easier to shoot well. If not comfortable with DA/SA pistols it might not be the best choice. But,

On the Variant One Compact it’s a safety and decocker setup, which I like because you can carry like a 1911 and skip the long DA first pull if you want. Much better shooting with the single action pull.

I am having a Gray Guns short reset trigger kit put in mine. Haven’t gotten it back yet. Should make the DA pull better and the SA reset shorter. We’ll see.

It’s an accurate gun. Recoil in the .40 Compact is not terrible, and clearly better than with the Glock 23s.

I have owned three HK USP Compacts in .40 caliber, will probably keep the third just to have an HK. Why not. It seems well-made, with lots of cool European proof marks. Has been pretty reliable with 3 recorded malfunctions (all failures to feed) in probably several hundred rounds fired. But,

Broke the firing pin on my first one by dry firing. Very weak-looking firing pin design, but read that a run of firing pins was not heat-treated properly which may be the reason mine broke.

So much for HK “perfection “. I still wouldn’t dry fire mine much, or without a snap cap, just because of my breakage experience.

Last edited:

OPC

Some additional thoughts on the USP(c) series (then I'll go away)...

I really like the large controls. The slide release lever and safety/decocker lever are easy to find and present a very positive purchase.

Sights are clear and easy to pick up, though some consider them blocky.

Sights are fixed for elevation and factory set for 6-o'clock hold at 25meters.

The mag release is a paddle design at the back of the trigger guard and is ambidextrous and very easy to access and articulate (some shooters really do not like it).

Slamming a loaded mag in with an open slide will release the slide stop and the slide will close. This has caught a few new owners by surprise.

The mag floorplate with finger rest is a must ($13 at hkparts.com)

The front/back checkering is aggressive. I wear gloves.

It is an older design, so no interchangeable grip side plates or back-strap that you will find on VP9 series.

The frame rail forward of the trigger guard is specific to H&K and is not picatinny compatible. You really do want to be careful about hanging heavy components (like compensators) on this rail.

The USP(c) is available in 10 variations (V1-V10), with V1 (DA/SA, safety/decocker, lever controls on left side of firearm) being the most common I've seen.

A quick look at the two-character date code on the slide (between the antler and the federal eagle proof marks) will tell you when that particular sample was made.
A – 0
B – 1
C – 2
D – 3
E – 4
F – 5
G – 6
H – 7
I – 8
K – 9

Example: BK = 2019

The USP(c), roughly translating to mean "Universal Self-Loading Pistol" was designed specifically for the 40S&W as it was fast becoming a darling of US Law Enforcement. The 9mm and 45ACP versions followed thereafter. This matters as it highlights that it was not envisioned to be a civilian tool (a notable blind spot for H&K in general) and thus not foreseen to be used for competition or CCW. It is used by some in these capacities, but many find other platforms more suitable.

Mosin44az

The above post reminds me:

I sandpapered down the grip to make it less irritating. Fine sandpaper. Doesn’t affect the appearance significantly. This can be done with all polymer pistols with too-aggressive grip textures. A Hogue or Pachmyer wraparound rubber grip sleeve will also work for this.

GG&G of Tucson sells an adapter so you can attach a tac light to your USP Compact. The light will stick out a bit further than on other pistols.

PatientWolf

Full disclosure. I don’t have any experience with the USP40c.

I absolutely love my USP9c. It fits my hands like a glove, every control is right where it should be for easy activation (although being my first paddle release, that took some getting used to). It is very accurate and recoil is very pleasant.

It does not have a 1911 trigger, but neither do most guns out there.

NC FNS

I appreciate all of you taking the time to reply in such detail!! I’m leaning toward getting one, but will probably wait until the end of the month to decide.

JDBerg

I had a USP 40 years ago that was the best forty caliber pistol I ever had anyway, although I still have a Sig P226 that has always been pretty darn good. I’m sorry I got rid of the USP 40, although I do like the 9mm P30 and P2000 that I still have a lot better, but it would be good to get another USP 40, but I’d probably get a USP Compact if I did get another one.