Thinking of having a new 92A1 coated with NP3

Coach Z

So I really want an INOX 92A1, doesn't exist so how about having it NP3 coated by robar? I plan on keeping the gun so not worried about losing money on resale. Couple questions.

Should I put a couple thousand rounds through it to wear it in before sending it off before coating?

I'm thinking I'll install the metal trigger and D spring before sending it off, anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah I LOVE MY NEW 92A1!!!

sailskidrive

It will be like trying to pick up a water balloon coated in vaseline. ;)

Keep in mind the nickel will darken w/ time. I would just get the slide done if anything at all...

Samuel2011

Coach Z, i have a Kimber 1911 that was NP3 coated about 10 years ago.
The finish has a light grey look to it when new, but after a few years of use the color darkens a little bit. The colors takes on a warm tone to it. Still a loight grey with a little hint of brown.

Also, when the finish is new it is slicker than snot and takes a little getting used to. Feels oily , but its completely dry kind of sensation.

Great finish allows me to run my gun almost dry and feels like its on ball bearings!

When I get chance I'll try to post a pic.

Coach Z

Thanks for the replies guys, going to have it coated for sure.

Any thoughts in "breaking it in" prior to coating?

Strafer Gott

I'd say it depends on keeping a good finish, or getting it repolished before it's coated. Shiny amplifies surface defects. Just don't drop it, or scrape it up.

Coach Z

Old thread but posting the results

So I did manage to get all the metal parts I needed for the 92a1 and sent it off, very very happy with the results

IMG_0315_zps867dea8f.jpg

IMG_0314_zps43833fcb.jpg

B.O.F.H.

That looks good! And I was just contemplating sending one of mine off. Did you have to install the houges because of the slick feel of the frame?

ClydeFrog

robar NP3+, Metalife SS C, magazines....

I've owned 2 law enforcement surplus 96D pistols custom treated with Robar in the past.
The new NP3+ should be great. I never had any problems with it.
You might want to look at the nickel/grey color Metalife SS C too.
It's a lot like NP3 and its not a long wait.
I'd add that you can get a few spare mags treated too. I carry the NP3 treated spares in a magazine holder.
For Beretta series parts or features see top pistolsmith; David Olhasso, www.olhasso.com . He's known for 92/96 models.

Clyde
PS I would advise sending the pistol and spare pistol magazines unfired/unused.

Coach Z

Hey guys Yes color is totally consistent
I did have three mags done at the same time

I put on the hogues because I have big hands and just like the feel.

I highly recommend robar, they were easy to deal with and had the gun back to me three weeks earlier then their estimate.

Coach Z

Just a brief update. Cleaned the gun for the first time after first range trip last week. I shot 180rds if Tula steel case through it which is really dirty ammo.

Just finishing cleaning it now and the carbon just wipes of. Barely using any solvent. Massive thumbs up for robar!