Thinking of getting a Kimber...

Remmy

Im still undecided, before i have always liked H/K's, and glocks only b/c of the few i shot. But now, even thought i have not shot a kimber, i hear how accurate they are... I dont really have any serious use for this pistol other than for fun and some security, i may also get my CWP.
I think i want the pistol to be a .40 cal. from kimber's cusom shop...probably a 3.5 to 4 inch barrel. Because i hear that with a shortened barrel length on a kimber, the accuracy will still be better than most other pistols w/ longer barrels.

So what model would this be that i am looking for?
.40 cal
3.5-4 in. barrel
from custom shop
~$800

And what is another option to get, if i still wanted a kimber, but wanted everything but the price tag...just no custom shop? or what...would that drop it to $700'ish...

Whats the run down?
TIA
Jesse

HKguy9

Hey Jesse, I doubt you can find much in .40S&W, I haven't seen a SINGLE Kimber at the store that is in .40. $800 in California will only get you the most basic models, Custom Stainless II, or the Custom Target II.

The thing with Kimbers is they seem to be hit or miss with their reliability. Some guys can't make them FTE/FTF no matter how hard they try. Others like me ended up with lemons. I was spoiled, learning to shoot on the Beretta 92FS and HK USP platforms, both of which are absolutely drop-dead reliable. I wasn't used to the fact that a gun needed tweaking to get right. I have to admit I sold the gun before I gave Kimber a chance to correct it.

Other than its FTEs (a common problem with production 1911s, because of the extractor tensioning) it is reliable as hell, and my amateur friends who shot for the first time were able to get really good hits with it. Kimber makes great target/range guns, but IMO leave something to be desired with regards to reliability.

Captain Bligh

I have a Kimber .45 SS Compact with over 2000 rounds through it. It is a series I. It is both reliable and accurate. You can count me as one of the very satisfied Kimber owners. I've put no money into it other than buying FMJ and Hoppes #9.

If it was me, I'd stick with .45 caliber. It's what the 1911 platform was designed for, but YMMV.

Gook luck making your choice.

Randy

Rovert

Mark me down as one of those who can't get an error, no matter how hard I try. I have only about 800 or so rounds through mine, but it's been flawless since day one.

Kimber 1911 page

MK11

I've got a Custom Target and a Pro Carry (both Series 1) and I love 'em. The guns themselves are very reliable but the magazines stink. Ditch them for Wilsons immediately. I'd also stick with .45 just because I've never seen the .40 model either. The .38 Super version might be a nice alternative but that's probably even scarcer than the .40.

The Pro Carry is very, very accurate. If you want a compact just for fun, I'd stick with the all steel frame. The aluminum Pro Carry is very controllable and perfect for packin' but it makes the all steel Custom Target feel like a .22.

bountyh

Kimber makes .40's about as often as Washington passes tax cuts. I've also never seen one but have heard about them sort of like Elvis sightings. I like the 1911 in .40 also and your best choices are:

Para Ordnance (quality on par with Kimber, SA, etc)

STI (hand made quality and accuracy for a couple hundred more)
You get the custom shop fit and parts quality straight out of the box.

I got the STI Trojan and it is the best made gun I've seen and very accurate. Worth the extra $. Check out their compact .40:

http://www.rushusa.com/html/products/sti/bls.html

Remmy

Great info... As for some people saying that some kimbers are bad eggs...i have never heard of that. Especially if you pay $700 for a kimber, the reliability issue should be the same as any other HK or preferably better reliability.
As for the cal., .45 would work too, i didnt have my mind made up totally, unless i were to get an HK, then it would be a .40 cal.
But for now, i would plan on a kimber...that better be reiable...any one had any issues of that sort w/ their kimber?

blades67

Many have had reliability issues with their Kimbers, but Kimber has a good Customer Service department and is good about making their guns right if there is a problem.

Bull

I have an ultra CDP that I've been very happy with. Reliable and accurate and easy to shoot well.

AndABeer

My fave shop has several Kimbers in .40 and a couple in .38. One of which is a Pro (4") model but it is not Custom Shop. I bought a Kimber Gold Match in .40 but quickly converted it to 10mm. I think I put a total of 50 rounds of .40 though it. Worked well enough I suppose just seems inefficient to chamber a 1911 in .40.

dairycreek

My $.02 in Kimbers - FWIW

I now own two Kimbers. One a Pro Carry with an aluminum frame and the other, full size Eclipse. Both were NIB. I have had absolutely no problems with the Eclipse. It has taken everything I have put through it - absolutely no malfunctions of any kind.

The Pro Carry, on the other had, would remain open after two or three shots - no matter what I put in it! At the time it was NIB and I was, mildly put, concerned. I took it back to the dealer who is not only a Kimber dealer but a Kimber approved gunsmith. He took one look made the correct diagnosis and in a matter of minutes made the correct adjustment. Since then (about a year ago) the Pro Carry has also functioned absolutely flawlessly - no matter what I have put through it. I am a satisfied customer. As I said FWIW.

I think an important question to ask is would I buy another Kimber? Yes!:) Good shooting.

DoubleBogey

I have been more than pleased with my Kimber Custom Stainless. I have only had it for about 3 months.....and it was my first 1911.....and definitely not my last. I can't say enough good things about this gun. It has been totally reliable with about 1500 rds of all different kinds run through it so far. It is also easily the most accurate gun I own. It has quickly become my favorite gun to shoot.....yes, even over my HK. I would highly recommend a Kimber based on my personal experience with mine.

DB

hkmk23

I've got a Kimber Gold Combat. Several thousand rounds without a hitch. As soon as I have the funds available, I'll be back in line for another!

Kevinch

I own 2 Kimbers, a Stainless Classic & Ultra CDP. Both have been reliable; the little 3" CDP had a tendancy to prematurely lock the slide open when shooting 230g FMJ until I made an adjustment to the slide stop that put an end to it.

I am sure that Springfield, Colt, Wilson, etc, all make a good product. From my experiance, you can't go wrong with a Kimber.

A 1911 in .40 S&W? Hmmm...well, maybe but I would advise you buy a 1911 in 45ACP. Not that there is anything wrong with a .40 S&W; I have a Taurus PT940 that is one of my favorite handguns. But the .40 is not real common in a 1911 platform. Extra mags will be more difficult, and more expensive, to acquire.

Besides, that would be like buying a Shelby GT 500 & then finding out there was a 396 under the hood.....

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
My Kimber .45 A.C.P. is the only model 1911 I've ever owned or shot that was worth the money. I went through several Colts quite a few years ago, and even after extensive gunsmithing, the best of the lot was an unreliable, inaccurate, poorly finished excuse for a firearm--especially considering what a good job Colt was then doing on Pythons, Detective Specials, Diamondbacks, et cetera.

The cartridge has never been--and still isn't--a favorite of mine, but several friends and acquaintances swore by their Kimbers, and the one I borrowed for about fifty rounds felt and shot right. Mine's blued and fitted with adjustable sights. It's never failed to feed. It's a straight shooter. The sight stays put. I haven't finished working up a light target load that a.) shoots well, and b.) sends the slide far enough back to lock open after the last round, but it's a very impressive gun.

I like it so much, in fact, I looked into acquiring the identical pistol in .38 super, only to discover it's not legal for sale in the People's Republic of California. Well, it and a Volquartsen .22 caliber pistol are on the list of goodies I'm planning to treat myself to after returning to the United States.

Regards,
Standing Wolf

joell33

Kimber .40

I have the exact gun you are looking for! I have the Kimber Ultra Carry 3.5 Barrell and in .40s&w. I have put only 200 rounds through it and I am thinking of selling it. Magazine issues!!! Only one produced in the world in a 7 rd .40 single stack to fit. Mecgar is it. The Kimber custom shop told me that was my only choice. It is a great carry gun and okay to shoot, but overall I'm not impressed(sorry Kimber fans). Seems like a bit too much $ to spend to get the results I have gotten, Oh well we live and learn!