Thinking of duracoating my P89 slide

rantingredneck

I've got a blued Ruger P89 where the bluing has seen better days. It's been a woods gun, a truck gun, and a CCW gun in it's 12 year lifespan. It's not terrible, but it definitely has some holster wear on the high spots and at the muzzle. Would it be possible to duracoat the slide if I detail strip it down to bare bones? I'm assuming that I'd have to keep any coating from getting on the underside of the slide where it contacts the frame.

Anything else?

What do I need to know before I start on this?

Edited to add: If it worked out well I'd probably be looking to do the same thing to my PC9 receiver and barrel to match.

Taurus_9mm

Sure thing. This gentleman duracoated his Taurus PT92. :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78443890

pix486287484.jpg

pix486287593.jpg

pix486287625.jpg

pix486287531.jpg

Whirlwind06

I used a spray on coating on my P89. Not Dura coat but brownells Alum hyde II It came out ok. I also dehorned it makes it easier to carry.

Striped off the old bluing. I taped off the internals If I do it again I will probably have somebody hot blue the slide for me.

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

glockorama

So far the duracote is holding well. You definitely want to let it cure for at least a week (or two) if you don't bake it. I added a bit more hardener in the mix, hoping that would make it stronger. So far so good.
I also did a Tokorev in nickel duracote:
l_0c06f8c31f5388de447b558665a189bc.jpg