Thinking of buying a Sig for 2003

Mastrogiacomo

I haven't saved up enough money yet but I've been giving serious thought to adding a Sig to my gun collection. I hear great things about the gun for accuracy and maintance -- like my Berettas. I'm interested in hearing about how they fare at the range. Does anyone get hit in the face with their Sig by the empty shells? I've narrowed my choices to two (considering my permit restrictions:( ) I'm looking at the P239 in 9mm and the P220 in a .45. Can anyone that owns these guns tell me something about how they perform? I hate recoil with guns so I'm avoiding Glocks. I want something safe to handle, easy to use and that won't smack me in the face when I practice. I'm considering getting them in two-tone. Recommendations?

newbird

sigs

I have never owned a sig, but here they are great guns, just that they sit high in the hand. Both the 239 and 220 are sweet guns, I am considering a 239 over a glock 19 right now. I want a two-tone with wood grips:D I can't decide right now because the glocks I can get 15rd mags for and attach a M3 light or M6 light/laser. I can't decide, but damn that 239 two-tone is one sweet looking gun, go to the houge grips web site and check out pics with wood grips!!!

neal bloom

I have a 225 and a 220. The most accurate out of the box pistols I have ever shot (I am no expert but they make me look good). Ever since I got my 225, my Browning Hi-Power see less range action. In fact all my other 'nine's see less action. Just recently acquired the 220 and it is my first 45. The way it shoots I probably don't need any other 45. Went out yesterday with a friend and after shooting the 220 he wants to get one. Sorry I don't have any info on the 239. Never been hit in the face by a spent casing by either gun.

Jeff OTMG

My son has recoil concerns as well and given your two choices I would have to recommend his choice of the P239 in 9mm. That 9mm kicks less than the .45. If you can, check out a P225, it is my choice over the P239, but my son has smaller hands.

Mastrogiacomo

Thanks Jeff,

I've been eyeing the P239 more myself largely because of cost -- and because I want to find out a little more about the kick, and maybe see if I can rent it somewhere first. Personally, I don't worry about the 9mm because my Berettas have never bothered me and shoot much smoother than my .38. Has your son ever been hit by a spent casing? I imagine not. I haven't heard of this happening with a Sig yet. My Berettas have never hit me on the range either which one of many reasons is why I love them. The P239 seems like it'd be yet another nice compact to go with my growing collection. It certainly seems more within a reachable price range. :D

Frohickey

I haven't been hit in the noggin by spent cases out of Sigs. All eject to the right with some force. The only time is if I have a partition to my right, then the case will bounce off the partition towards me. I've had it land to the inside of my glasses. Remembered to keep the gun pointed down range, immediately put my head down to keep the hot brass of the sensitive areas. :)

9mm recoil is sharper than the 45ACP recoil. I describe the 45ACP recoil as a slow impulse, with more twisting motion. Recoil is one of those things you get used to, and eventually forget, with practice.

9mm will allow you to practice more for the same amount of money than a 45ACP. Suggest that you budget time and money for practice and do it on a regular basis. You'll end up moving up to 40S&W, 45ACP, 44Mag, 454Casull, and then 45/70. :p

Glocks have more perceived recoil because they then to be lighter than metal guns. But the Glock's lower bore axis helps in that department. Ideal gun would be something held inside of the closed fist, with the bullet exit axis the same as the axis of the forearm. The lower the bore axis, the less flip you encounter.

Rich357

My two 9mm SIGs, a P226 and P239 are both "soft" in terms of recoil. The P226 is a little softer recoiling than the P239. Both are a joy to take to the range. Very accurate.

SIG is coming out with an heavier version of the P226. It's the P226ST all stainless model. The standard P226 has a stainless slide and aluminum aloy frame. The new P226ST has a stainless steel frame and slide. It should have a very soft recoil.

Other soft recoiling pistols: The Springfield Armory full sized, Fully Loaded, 9mm all stainless 1911 A1. The S&W Model 952 all carbon steel 9mm target pistol has a very mild recoil.

You might try the compensated Glock 17C. It is said to be a very easy shooting 9mm. It may be one of the softest shooting 9s, but I haven't tried one, yet.

Rich

spleenandideal

I own a few SIGs: two 220s, a 220ST, 226, and 228.

The P220 classic in .45acp is a delightful pistol. The recoil is not harsh by definition. Compared to a 1911 with full-power 230gr loads, the 220 feels lighter. If recoil sensitivity is a major issue, consider lighter loads, or go for the P220ST. The ST is an all stainless steel 220, hence more weight in the frame. More weight=more recoil dampening. The newer version of the ST has a standard Piccatiny rail so you can dangle a light off of the front if needed. The older version has an available adapter. The only other .45acp that I have experience with that has less recoil is the HKUSP.

I've had 9mm brass hit me in the head, only from a P228. Maybe because I shoot lefty. Plus they were very mild reloads, so ejecting power is minimal.

I find the 226 a much easier pistol to shoot more accurately than the 228.

I've shot a 239 in .40 and the recoil is more flippy than the 239 in 9mm.

You cannot go wrong with SIG.
Check out the SIGforum .
Happy shopping!

Jim Watson

I have Sig Sauer P225 9mm and P220 .45ACP. Both are fine guns. They do not throw empties in my face. However, the P220 in .45 has every bit as much recoil as any other 28 ounce .45 on the market. There are currently some P220 9mms on the market that would make good shooters with low recoil on inexpensive ammunition. See the ad at http://www.southernohiogun.com/new_hand.html

I hate to discourage anybody from buying a new gun, but think what a Sig Sauer would do for you that your Beretta(S?) do not already do. They are both good quality DA/SA service automatic pistols. You might like one or the other better - I actually prefer the Sig Sauers - but it will be over relatively small things.

There might be something else to spend your money on that would be a radically different shooting experience. What would you like to accomplish in your shooting?

Chugach

I have both a P220 in .45 and a P239 in 9mm. They're both excellent. Ultra-reliable. No brass in the face, ever, shooting left- or right-handed with either one.

The P220 has fuller, more rounded grips and a longer sight radius. The P239 conceals well and has thinner, more squared off grips.

If you like Berettas, I'd also recommend that you take a look at the P225. I don't think it will be that much more expensive than the P239. When I hold a P239, I'm subconsciously thinking about "smooth-but-sharper-edged" grips. When I hold a P225, I'm subconsciously thinking: "dang, this thing fits my hand perfectly!".

Recoil for me is also easier to manage with the P225 than with the P239.

You've got a good idea: rent 'em and see what works for you.

Luck!

:)

Tracer

I have owned the 225,239 220 and 226.I currently prefer the Hi Power,but believe the Sig 239 is the easiest pistol to shoot well I have ever fired.Everyone seems to shoot it relatively well.I do not like the high bore axis ,but recoil on 9mm 's is not an issue to me on any gun.
tracer

Mastrogiacomo

@ Jim

You know, I can't imagine anything that a Sig could do that my Berettas can't handle, you're right about that. I'm not at all unhappy with them but I just thought "why not?" If I could get a Cougar in a .45, I do it, but the truth is Courgars, Elites, and Neos are all Berettas not allowed into this state. I've been curious about the Sigs because I hear good things about them and wondered about the P220 since I can't get a Cougar 8045. However, I'm starting to save now so who knows? It could all change with next year's gun approval. :D

I have a 225 and have had some random shells bounce off the brim of my baseball cap from time to time. Infrequent occurence, though. My 225 is accurate, ergonomic and reliable.

David Park

I own and carry both a P239 9mm and P220 .45. If I had to choose between them, I'd take the P239 because it's easier for me to shoot one-handed, particularly with my weak hand, and it disappears in a tuckable holster. However, I'm much more accurate with the P220 when I know I can use both hands, i.e., at the range. Whichever you choose, I'd suggest adding some Hogue grips.

FWIW, the handgun that seems to "fit" me best, as far as accuracy and ergonomics, is a Glock 26. However, Glocks still make me nervous for CCW. :p :rolleyes:

Johnny Rad

Any opinions of the 9mm 228/229 or .380 232?!

I'm interested in the 228/229, but it seems redundant with the P99 in my collection. How do they differ again? How much are high-cap (std caps, non-neutered) mags? Is there an advantage to either the "blued" or "blackened" finish?

It's a long story and the TFL doesn't have the time right now, but I might be interested in steering my father towards a .380 232. Since it's a non-polymer pistol, I'm guessing its recoil is appreciably less than a similar size 9mm. Truth or fiction?!

MikeK

The 220 is a great gun! Never had shell casings hit me in the face. Reliable and accurate.

Johnny Rad;

Can't comment on the .380, but I do have a 229 in .40 with a .357 Sig barrel. I like it almost as much as my 220. High cap mags in either of those calibers only hold 2 more rounds (12 v. 10) and I beleive the 9mm only goes to 13. The gun was introduced in 1993/94, hence hi-caps are rare and expensive. Especially since you only get 2 more rounds.

CDNN has some pro-mags for the 228 (15 round?) for sale < $20. Some folks dislike the pro-mags, but I've used them in a variety of guns with no problems.

For more info on all of the Sigs, try the SIG forum.

www.sigforum.com

VVG

I have a P220 2 tone, MA spec. It's a great pistol. The P239 grip is too small for me, but the P225 seems just right. P239's are less expensive than the P220, but if you are collecting and want a .45, the P220, as the first of SIG's "classic" pistols, is a good choice.

By the time you buy, you should also have the S&W 1911 as an option, as well.

If any pistol is shucking rounds in your face, the first thing I would look at is appropriate lubrication.
p220_m1911a1_ls_s.jpg

defox

I have been thinking of getting a sub-compact gun and the Sig 239 is in the top 5. I have heard rave reviews about this gun's accuracy, it is relatively heavy and so does not kick hard. The Baby Eagle is a better firing gun to me, just as accurate and I can go with large capacity mags for tactical reloads. The 239 is a single stack 8-rounds. The only problem I have with the BE is that it is about one half pounds heavier than the 239.

For me though the ultimate Sig is the 229. Great gun!!!