Thinking of Beretta 92 FS

Wendyj

This gun gets a lot of good reviews. Usually before buying I will rent one at indoor range. They don't have one. Gone glock crazy. Lol. I like Glocks ok. How is trigger reset on follow up shots. Seems a little creep in stores but hard to tell without a few down range.

Wendyj

Your the first to reply. Thank you. I like the gun. Held a few in the stores but would like to know how trigger reset is for follow up shots. Long or short reset. Was thinking of buying one tomorrow but wanted to see what the experts on here knew.

themadbomber

Not too crazy about the long tigger pull even on SA, but it does have a lot of good features for a new handgun owner. Easy to field strip, single and double action, and a decocker.

sigarms228

I am thinking of getting one myself. Prices are certainly right these days on Berettas!!

Never heard of a rental range that did not have a Beretta 92FS/M9 :confused:

Dragline45

How is trigger reset on follow up shots. Seems a little creep in stores but hard to tell without a few down range.

would like to know how trigger reset is for follow up shots. Long or short reset.

The reset is very short since all followup shots will be in single action. I don't know how you tested the trigger reset in the store, but since the gun is a DA/SA just dry firing the gun alone you will be feeling the full DA reset which is long. To test the SA reset which is what you will be dealing with when firing the gun you would have had to pull the trigger fully to the rear, hold it there, rack the slide, and then release the trigger to see how the single action reset is.

If you do purchase the Beretta order a Beretta D hammer spring, it's the spring Beretta uses in their DAO models and lightens up the trigger quite a bit. It's a cheap and easy mod to install.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Make sure that you can reach the double action trigger with a proper grip on the gun.

The back of the grip should fit into the pocket between your thumb and forefinger, with the muzzle lined up with your forearm. If you can reach the DA trigger with the gun in that grip then you'll probably be happy with it.

I've seen more than one shooter who had to cheat the muzzle of the gun over towards the trigger finger to reach the DA trigger. That will hurt the ability to control the muzzle during shooting and will make the gun less comfortable to shoot. Instead of the recoil going into the web of the hand, it will recoil into the "knuckle" of the thumb.

WVsig

Good time to get one. They can be had for as low as $479 shipped to your FFL with no credit card fees. Should be able to get this great gun at under $500 OTD.

Drop a D spring in these guns and you have a very nice full sized shooter.

BigMikey76

The Taurus clones are also rather nice, if for no other reason they moved the safety to the frame instead of the slide.

My thoughts exactly. I like the overall design, but the slide mounted safety is problematic for me. I much prefer the frame mounted safety/decocker on the Taurus version. If I were going to get the Beretta, it would have to be the decocker only "G" model.

Z400ACDC

I added a D-spring to the Beretta 92fs that I bought new a couple months ago. I really like it for a range or home defense pistol. The trigger is not as good as my Taurus PT92 that I bought new in 1990. Good Luck!

Sequins

My 92FS has a very, very long DA that does have creep. In SA I actually had a tendency to inadvertently doubletap when I was a rookie. 92FS wasy first handgun and the reset is just divine. Now that I'm a (more) experienced and have some skill controlling the gun I love it. I don't have a single other gun with a manual safety, and if I ever outshoot my 92FS with another gun I might sell it but hasn't happened yet. It's just so big to carry :-(

TxFlyFish

Whether you like the ergos of the 92 or not, there are no guns under 500 made with this much material craftsmanship and reliability.

Mosin44az

As noted above, the key is whether the Beretta fits you, particularly that long first DA pull. If you have to stretch to get the pad of your trigger finger on the flat part of the trigger, or if you find you are pulling the gun even slightly to the side on that pull, probably best not to buy.

If a Vertec model is available, this will have a shorter trigger reach.

I too am not a fan of the slide-mounted up-to-fire safety, and would get a "G" decocker-only model if available.

But the gun is otherwise a classic, accurate and superbly built.

It's just too big for a number of folks, including me.

I find the DA trigger pull long, but smooth. SA is as good as anybody's, IMO.

Rock solid reliability, but not the best EDC gun. I carry mine on a G I style pistol belt in the Bianchi full-flap holster. It's my open-carry outdoors gun.

lowercase

I really like mine.

Found a 92F that had some scroungy Pachmayr grips and was just filthy. The gun was in decent shape and had a low price, so I grabbed it. Installed new grips and a "D" spring, and it is a great gun. Very accurate and fun to shoot.

Used my 92F as a CCW this past winter in a custom OWB rig. Right now, it's pulling nightstand duty loaded 20+1 with a Mec-Gar mag.

jdscholer

I've got a really nice 92FS that I unintentionally acquired by loaning a buddy money. I've never been a big semi-auto guy, but every time I take the thing out, I'm thinking "I should shoot this gun more often".

It points well, the sights are great, recoil is comfortable, trigger is good, capacity is huge, -- I guess if I really needed to be strapped in a serious way, it would be a top choice. jd

Pilot

I like mine. It has the D spring mod as well as the Elite II, skeletonized hammer. The DA pull is greatly reduced, and the SA is a bit lighter too. I don't think you can go wrong with one, and they certainly are a good value for their quality.

raimius

The trigger reset and SA trigger are actually quite nice. The DA pull is quite long and heavy (I think average is near 12lb).

There are a few common complaints to be knowledgeable about the 92fs series.
-Some people find the frame to be too large for a comfortable grip. I wear size 9 gloves and find it is about as large as I could comfortably shoot.
-Some dislike the slide mounted safety. If you use the overhand rack method for reloads or malfunctions, you may inadvertently place the safety on. I have done this, and it does require a bit of training and specific technique to avoid.