Thinking Of An Sks

FLA2760

I have an AK and I am wanting an SKS. I see quite a few Yugo's for sale and I am wondering if that is the way to go? What are the strong/weak points of the various SKS rifles available? I will use this as a shooter and part of the SHTF plan. I thank you for your replys. ;)

rugmar

I don't have one but have been researching them for a while now. Seems the Yugo's are pretty plentiful and at decent prices but seem to be the least desirable even including the Chinese made rifles.

I'm also curious what others have to say. I have a friend trying to sell a Chinese SKS in some butt ugly aftermarket folding stock. Does anyone know if this is even legal with a pistol grip and folding stock? It also has a detatchable 30 rd magazine which I've heard are mostly trouble. Any possibility of finding an original wood stock? He wants 150.00 for it. What do you think of the price?

firetido

I've owned a chinese Norinco and a Yugo. both are nice with different features. the yugos almost always have the grenade adaptor on the muzzle where as Norincos are a little cleaner. my suggestion is to just shop around, find one that suits your fancy and go with it. They are great rifles to have.

MTMilitiaman

The grenade adapter could come in handy the way things are going in this country.

Except rifle grenades aren't used any more.

The Russian rifles are the best. They are well built, accurate, and are better finished than rifles from other countries. They are also harder to find, and more expensive when found.

The Yugo is actually very close in build quality to the Russian rifle, and this is apparent if you get to hold one next to say, a Chinese rifle. The Yugo rifle is much more "stout." My Yugo is also just as accurate as the late model Russian I had to sell. The down side of the Yugo is that it is not chrome lined, which isn't a problem with most stuff, but if you do find some corrosive ammo, you'll have to take care to throughly clean the rifle immediately after use. The Yugo is also heavier than rifles from other countries, due to its beefier construction, and longer because of the grenade launcher apparatus hanging off the end of the muzzle, which if nothing else, some find aesthetically displeasing.

The Chinese rifles are still solid weapons and have the advantage of chrome lined bores, like the Russian rifles, but in my experience, aren't as accurate as the Russian or Yugo rifles, and don't come across to me as being quite as well built. My brother has a nice Norinco carbine though that is light and handy, and we both enjoy it a lot.

The Albanian rifles are supposed to be good rifles as well, but are very rare and some of the parts aren't interchangeable.

I haven't seen many Romanian rifles around, and really haven't heard much of them, so I won't comment on their over all quality.

keebo52

Get an unissued or excellent condition yugo. I have one and it's FAR better built and more accurate than any chinese sks I've owned.

rampage841512

They're nice rifles for the price. My friend has one and I've always enjoyed playing with it, though I prefer my Mini-14 for your purposes. It's a hell of a price difference, but I've found it's all also a hell of an improvement in reliability.

HDTVSELLER

i have a yugo and the only problem i have had with it is a close fire that brock my firing pin but other than that no complaint.. and to 150 sound like a great price. i paid 350 out the door for a unissued yugo with all issued equipment. but where i live i dont see them for sale often and when i do they are in bad shape.

kristop64089

I have had 2 Sks's. I had a 1960 #'s matching Romanian in a folder stock. The romanians are very rare, and you rarely see them in their wood stock. Mostly because the wood was either very ugly, rough, or damaged. I traded it away because I like the look of the Original SKS.(and the stock didn't match)

I've done alot of research on SKS rifles, and from what I can determine is. The original is the best(russian) they have great fit and finish, and their wood is usually beautiful. W/that being said it's rare to see one for less than $375.

Second in build quality and reliability are the Yugos. (which I bought) They are built like tanks. The grenade launcher is cool(i think) and you can still find grenades to launch, they also sell a "golf ball launcher" that fits over the launcher, and wizzes Golf balls a couple hundred Yards(you use 7.62 launcher blanks). Some of the yugo wood is actually really nice. I bought a used one. If you do you need to check the pore, and gas assembly well. Yugos also use a gas valve at the fore front of the barrel. This enables the launching of the grenade.(actually will turn the rifle into single shot) This is another assembly you need to see if works.(Normally if you can move it, everything is ok).
My yugo is accurate to at least 100yds, and is a hoot to shoot.(launches the brass like 10' strait up)

I will own a Ruskie someday, but if not, I won't cry about it.

I stay away from chinese anything(figure I'm forced to buy it everywhere else). Alot of their SKS were made for commercial export. They have pinned barrels and rather lousy QC.(you would to if you had to supply 2 billion soldiers w/arms) I have not been impressed w/what I have seen from them.

I'd say if you can get a russian for under $300 get it.
If you find a new unissued Yugo for less than $180 get it.
And the issued ones(as long as they are #'s matching) and in VG shape go for around $160

Hope this helps

MMcfpd

Since I wasn't shopping for an SKS (I have two Yugos) I didn't take notes, but at the gun show I went to this past weekend I saw a $500 Russian, a $390 NIB Chinese Norinco, a $295 unissued Yugo and a $195 shooter grade Yugo. My two (one unissued and one shooter) were purchased for significantly less almost a year ago.

RedneckFur

I've got a NIB norinco i bought new for $90 back when clinton was president. It shoots great. I've only had it stove pipe once the whole time I had it, and it was poor ammo to blame for that. Shoots fairly accurate. About 3.5 inches at 100 yards if i lay off the coffee and do my part. I really love the SKS. My only complaint is that the stocks are too short for my wide shoulders. I dont like taking that hogback reciver agasint my cheekbone.

TomG160

I have 3 of them. 2 Yugos and a Russian. My first Yugo (130$) had the gas problem that seems to be more common with that 59/66. But that was a quick easy fix, and I bought another (150$) that has had absolutely no problems. They both shoot about the same 2 - 4 inch groups at 100. My Russian I purchased this summer for 300$ (did I get some less desirable Russian, that seems less than most others pay???) gives me inch groups at 50 but I haven't had it on the 100 yd range yet. And to my delight and expectations, no malfunctions yet. I think they're probably one of the best deals out there!