Thinking of a new revolver

Drummer101

I am thinking about a new revolver for competition (I like revolvers).

Currently I have a S&W 617 4" and a 4.62" Ruger New Vaquero.
I do not have the ability to reload right now and wont for at least a year (hence the 38/357 caliber choice).

I am still undecided between IDPA and USPSA.

The local range which I go to has a very informal USPSA club. I went a few times and it does seem like fun. Low key and people just shoot what they bring (some people have race guns, some have smaller carry gun).

Eventually I would like to do more competitions around the area.

What I am thinking is the S&W 627 5" for USPSA or a S&W 686 4" for IDPA.

I like the USPSA mentality because it has fewer rules and the club is 5 min away.
But I also like IDPA because it seems to be more popular.

Any thoughts?

I live in Houston Texas.

MrBorland

Drummer101 said:
S&W 627 5" for USPSA or a S&W 686 4" for IDPA.

Yup. Those would be excellent choices.

FWIW, I have each of those for their respective games.

As to which one, it comes down to which competition is accessible in your area, whether you prefer to reload with moons or speedloaders, and whether you reload your own ammo. Since you don't reload your own ammo, I'd forget the 627 & USPSA and get the 4" 6-shot 686 and some Safariland CompIII or JetLoader speedloaders.

Drummer101

I see the 586 and the 686 at the store locally for $839 (plus about 80 in tax).

Online I know I can get the 686 for 799 (plus 30 to ship plus 25 for transfer.

Are these reasonable?

That 586 is tempting... I like blued guns.

Radny97

For IDPA you might want to consider the GP100 match champion. Very nice gun tuned and built for IDPA. Try both it and the S&W to see which fits your hand best.

Nick_C_S

I shoot this in IDPA (and ICORE). It's a Smith model 67, 4" bbl. I gave it a mild trigger job (not full-race; just smoothed out and slightly lighter); chamfered charge holes (for quick speedloading), and a fiber optic front sight. It's lighter and more maneuverable than a 686 - a good attribute to have in action shooting sports - but the trade-off is a little more recoil, of course. It's also less expensive than a 686. A great choice if you just want a fun shooting 38 Special that'll last forever. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Model%2067_2015-03-09_1857_zps5mfvc5hx.jpg

Smoke Jensen

DW 15-2VH

I too like revolvers for target and hunting. Might I suggest a Dan Wesson. The 15-2V or the 15-2VH with the corresponding 4" and 6" bbls. Just a thought. I have the 15-2VH in 6" and 8" bbls. Good luck in your search.

g.willikers

If I were in the market for a new revolver, it would also be the S&W 66/67.
It's just the right size - for me, especially for competition purposes.
There's probably no other revolver manufacturer with a better parts and service support than S&W either.
With all the choices of grip replacements available, it's not hard to make just about any revolver a good fit.