Thinking of a Colt 1911, stainless or blue ?

Jimmy10mm

As the title says, I'm going to get a 1911 series 80. I am undecided as to whether I want a stainless or a blue. I remember when they first came out they had some problems with the slide/frame galling with the stainless.

IIRC the fix was to use two different alloys of stainless ? One for the frame and another for the slide. I'm assuming one is as good as the other in terms of strength and longevity. Correct me if I am wrong.

I intend on a Delta Elite in 10mm to replace the one I sold years ago like a darn fool. It was blue and I happen to love blue but then I consider the ease of upkeep on a stainless model's finish. I know the stainless requires some care but not IME it is not as critical as the blue finish.

I won't carry it and it will probably be shot at indoor ranges more often than not. Any opinions on why one or the other would be better ? Hard to make up my mind on this. :confused:

KyJim

The galling issues were resolved many years ago by using slightly different alloys. Stainless is more resistant to rust but not rust proof. Its mostly just personal preference.

orionengnr

Well, what do you like?

If you're not going to carry it, then wear (or resistance to same) should be a non-issue.

I prefer blued guns for range and carry...but I own a few stainless guns as well, and carry them with quite a bit less concern for their well-being.

crghss

It's a matter of personal preference. I have a stainless and love it. I do carry in a high humidity & salty environment. While stainless maybe beneficial in my case I clean so regularly I don't think it makes a difference.

You maybe able to remove some scratches in a stainless gun. With blue your stuck with them, small consideration.

TylerD45ACP

BLUE Stainless holds up better to wear, but get the beautiful blue especially if it will be more of a range gun. If the blue wears too much for you then it can always be reblued. A blued 1911 is the best looking handgun there is, IMO. That would be my choice without a second thought. I have always loved a nice blued finish.

Stevie-Ray

I've got a Delta Elite and blue was the only choice when I got mine. The new stainless ones got me thinking I need 2.;) Seriously, I love my blue Delta, but if stainless was available at the time I would have gotten that.

zombieslayer

I like 1911's in stainless. And revolvers. Its a personal preference thing. On a safe queen, blued would be my choice. Just my 2cents.

gandog56

I don't know, blue is just so traditional, but stainless is just so much easier to care for. I guess if it was a carry piece I would have a blued one just so glare would not distract or give away my position. But since Illinois won't let me carry, mine is stainless

Brian48

I would get the blued if it was strictly a range gun. This is exactly why I got my Gold Cup in blue. You just can't beat the presentation looks.

KyJim

I guess if it was a carry piece I would have a blued one just so glare would not distract or give away my position.
This is mostly fiction. All the stainless guns have the top of the slides in a brushed or matte finish to prevent glare. Often the entire gun is brushed/matte. As far as giving away your position, well, I'll just not comment on that.

gwnorth

I have a pair of stainless. A current production Combat Commander and a 1900's era MkIV gov't enhanced model. I just like the clean look of stainless, and I do find it easier to take care of. It's what you like really, as others have said.

Kreyzhorse

If you treat the gun well, you really can't go wrong with either choice. I prefer stainless on all handguns except 1911s. To me, a blued 1911 just has that classic look. Stainless, not so much.

dcody40

What about this, two tone !

I built up a Caspian SS frame with a blue Caspian ribbed slide, it's the best looking gun in my collection, also have a Mat finish SS Colt gold cup, and all the rest are blue steel. Solution, for you, buy one of each and swap top ends.
Although blue on top of SS is probably the best overall IMO, a SS Slide on a blue frame would be different but still a nice looking gun.

Enjoy what you have and be proud that you have them.

Duane USN/ret