Thinking about shooting registered

Rob228

I've been tracking my 16 yard line average since I picked up trap a few months ago. My average has steadily increased from the mid 80's to 92-94 ish. Just yesterday I ran my first 50 straight, followed by another 48.

I stopped shooting pistol and carbine for recreation because it felt too much like work (I used to be in the CQB business), now I just shoot them to maintain proficiency. I picked up Trap for the sole purpose of having fun.

So, if I start shooting registered and competing, how long is it before it stops being fun? Or does it ever stop?

FITASC

When trap stops being fun, you move to skeet. When that stops being fun, you move to 5-stand. When that stops being fun, you move to sporting clays. When that stops being fun, you move to FITASC. When that stops being fun, you move to ZZ birds and live box pigeons. Those never stop being fun. After all of those, you move your wheelchair to the end of the pier and go fishing.....................:D;)

You are doing it all wrong, with breaking 50 and such so soon. If you improve at a snail's pace like some of us, you never have to worry about not being challenged.

Rob228

Sounds like some good answers. Work is forcing me to take a 6 month hiatus from the range, starting next week.

It took a long time to figure out why I was coming back from the pistol range more stressed out than before I went, but I've yet to feel that from the clays. If I do.... I'll move to another shotgun game.

FITASC

Trap has some variety because the trap oscillates. Skeet NEVER varies anywhere; sporting is never the same anywhere.

You don't know how the winds here blow the skeet all ofer, up and down, and everywhere, but you are correct that you have a pretty good idea of their initial path. One major difference between a pistol range and clays, less so trap than some, is the social interaction (grabass) that shooting lanes do not lend themselves to.

BigJimP

Competing seriously ...is very expensive ...and if you are not continuing to improve it can wear on you a little. But I concur, if its not fun anymore - them move on to something else. Competing is not life and death...its a game.../ so your approach needs to be kept in perspective...or it will drive you nuts. In Trap in general, and Skeet for that matter...if you can't run 100 straight consistently ...you will not be in the top 10% - except in the lower classes.

Of all the shotgun games...Trap is the most boring ...and least interactive with the other shooters. Trap shooters are a little surly..:rolleyes: .....but there is also more prize money to be won in Trap than the other games / and a lot of guys shoot Trap specifically to win money ( playing all the options, etc ).

While I would recommend a dedicated Trap gun...for all the Trap games...doubles, continental, singles and handicapped events.../ you may just have more fun if you branch out a little bit, with a more suitable all around gun, into 5 stand, Skeet and Sporting Clays depending on what is available in your area.