Thinking about my next purchase

Adam5

I have some gun money coming next week and am thinking about what to get next. I am more of a shooter than a collector, and my next pistol will be range use, occasional carry, and possibly starting to shoot a local match or two.

I currently have:

Colt Government 9mm
Colt Defender .45
Colt Mustang XSP .380
Springfield Loaded .45
Kimber Pro Carry II .45
Beretta Mini Cougar 9mm
Browning Buckmark Hunter .22
S&W Model 64 .38 Spl

As you can see, I lean fairly heavily towards metal pistols that are hammer fired. I was looking at Dan Wesson revolvers, but instead I'm going to get something in a 9mm full size double stack.

I'm considering a used Sig P226, a used HK USP-9, a CZ75, Beretta 92FS, or a Walther PPQ M2 5" Target (I know, it's polymer and striker fired but it's caught my eye).

My budget will be $600.00

Any recommendations or suggestions?

USNRet93

Glock 19, 19X or 17(yes, I know, striker, like the Walther PPQ M2 5" Target, but reliable, accurate, less than your budget(About $500-$550)). Maybe 17L...

Adam5

Glock 19, 19X or 17(yes, I know, striker, like the Walther PPQ M2 5" Target, but reliable, accurate, less than your budget(About $500-$550)). Maybe 17L...
No Glocks for me. I don’t really care for them, and have never kept one more than a month.

Areoflyer09

I’ve enjoyed my CZ75 variations more than I enjoyed either of my PPQs. The PPQs are good guns though m, they were just less enjoyable and I found I shot them consistently the worse than my DA/SA hammer guns.

JDBerg

Adam5: said:
I'm considering a used Sig P226, a used HK USP-9, a CZ75, Beretta 92FS, or a Walther PPQ M2 5" Target (I know, it's polymer and striker fired but it's caught my eye).

All good choices, not a bad one in the bunch. If we had an idea of the intended use for this firearm, it would be easier to render an opinion. If I could find a nice condition West German P226 or (better yet) a P228 in your $600.00 price target, I’d go with one of those, since these are getting harder to find.

Personally, for a new gun at $600.00, I’d go with a CZ75B Single Action (SA) variety. IMHO, this is the best choice in your price range. Or I’d go with one not on the list, a new Glock Model 45 9mm.

Eazyeach

I love spending others’ money. Go for the SIG. I like the Beretta also , but my SIGs have a better DA pull than my Berettas. But the Beretta is better looking.

PatientWolf

Bp22:
The Springfield loaded isnt one he is considering, it is one he already has (re-read the OP)

OP:
I would say any of your first three options would be good. I would stay away from the Beretta. As I’ve said before, if I purchase guns with safeties, I would stick with safeties that operate the same direction every time. Most of your current pistols take a thumb stroke downward to release the safety. For me the Beretta world backward and could cause a problem at a critical time.

redlightrich

CZ 75b checks all the boxes. It really is a great pistol and falls directly in your price range. If you have some mechanical skill, and a little patience, you can get the 75b to a 2# trigger for near 100 dollars. I posted info on how this can be done on a CZ dedicated site.

However, even bone stock, the 75 is a fine pistol that gets much better the more you use it.

Good luck. Enjoy the process. It is part of the fun!

Rich

10-96

I love me some CZ goodness as well! If you're not opposed to jumping into a new caliber- I noticed GT Distributors has Sig 226 (.40) DAK models available for under $300. They're Police Trade-Ins. A lot of folk don't care for the DAK, but the kit to put it back to DA/SA is what? $40-$60?

jetinteriorguy

If I could only keep one 9mm semi auto it would without a doubt be my CZ 75B single action. That would be my recommendation. I also have he DA version and it's a very nice shooter as well, but for me the SA is just a little nicer.

highpower3006

I have a Sig P226, A CZ75, several 1911's and a Glock or two. But having recently picked up a HK USP, I would say the USP is my favorite.

TruthTellers

Looks to me it's time for you to get a .40 caliber. Normally I'd point a person in the direction of a police trade in Glock Gen 4, but you don't like the polymer guns, so I'll say Beretta 96.

Remember, when the next panic comes, the 9mm, .45, .38/.357, and .22 will be gone from the shelves with only .40 left.