Thinking About Having Novak Install Sights On My Colt O1991 Combat Commander...

Joe_Pike

...Is it worth it? The O1991 was Colt's basic no frills gun with basic three-dot sights that are just a bit bigger than GI sights. I have never carried a larger gun in the past (I carried a 642 for a long time and now carry a P938) but have been thinking about trying it. I think I might want a plain black rear with a tritium front and they would have to dovetail the slide to install them. Total cost would be $200-250 I believe.

I got a smokin' deal on this gun about three years ago during some holiday sale and paid $599 + $17 shipping. So, adding a couple of Benjamins to the total cost still isn't terrible, but since this is such a basic model I'm wondering if I should just leave it that way and eventually get one already set up with different sights and an extended beaver-tail safety.

1stmar

Novak sights are excellent would be money well spent iMO. Shouldn't need to send it Novak unless you live nearby. Pretty routine work for a competent gunsmith. A lot of great sights for 1911, the Novak is an excellent choice, be sure to look at 10-8 and Harrison design too.

Last edited:

rock185

IMHO, Novaks are "worth it". I never liked the Colt factory 3-dot sights and have used Novaks or Heinies on 1911s, Hi Powers and others.

arquebus357

Odd. I didn't know that Novak sights were a big deal. The Ruger American comes with genuine Novak sights installed. The only comment about this sight in reviews is a complaint that you can't cock the pistol with one hand.

So maybe you should think twice about this modification.

L-2

I'll recommend getting the slide machined and putting new dovetailed sights on that O1991 Colt. When I had this model (actually two, as the first one was replaced by Colt), the staked in front sight loosened and fell out while shooting.

I heard the new owner of that 2nd Commander had its front sight also fall out, too.

lunger

I also recommend Novaks. I had them installed on a Norinco 1911.I have as much in the sights as in the "Nork".

To me worth it. Made a world of difference.

RickB

I wouldn't do it.
The only advantage is picking-up 1/2" of sight radius, and I don't see that as worth the cost.
Removing the dots from the factory rear sight would be much better bang-for-the-no-bucks.

ZuluWarrior

If you haven't familiarized yourself with XS Big Dot sights I would take a look.

They are simply the fastest set up out there in my opinion.

They aren't a target sight by any means, but they can't be beat for a defensive pistol!

Just my .02

Todd