Thinking about Front Sight this summer.

goodspeed(TPF)

Have any of you had personal experience with this facility? If so please give me your thoughts on the experience. Thank you. -Goodspeed

Frank Ettin

Administrator
I know several people who have trained there and think that it offers some very good programs. One thing I do know is that it's going to be very hot there in the summer. I'd think about spring or fall instead.

eric75

Search this forum for some (a lot of) opinions about that organization.

Remember leadership style will have a lot of influence on the integrity of an organization.

PPGMD

First if you are in Vegas during the summer you will need to stay hydrated, bring a Camelbak and drink at least that a day. I personally drink a 100oz Camelbak, and a liter of Vitalyte (think Gatorade, but reformulated to be more medicine like then mass market) when I am training in the summer.

Anyways Front Sight is a controversial school. I've never been, most of the comments I've heard about the training is that it's good, but some what basic. And that they are a Modern technique school (aka Weaver stance). Weaver isn't bad, but many, like myself, believe it's dated.

Anyways if you decide to go, check ebay, you can often find certificates for pennies on the dollar.

Also check this thread out, it's pretty recent and includes recommendations on where to stay and such:
http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=401164

ranburr

The good about FS is the cost and the training is fine for what it is. Another positive is that you can combine it with a vacation to Vegas. The obvious negatives can be googled. The other negatives not always mentioned is that the training is a little out of date (as are several other really big name institutions that are in and spawned from AZ).

ranburr

Dewhitewolf

I have attended Front Sight training. It was a very eye opening experience for me. I look forward to going back. I recommend Front Sight to everyone wishing to advance their firearm handling skills. A few things I will suggest:

--summer will be the hottest, so consider going in spring or fall.
--don't bother with two day courses; they are geared more towards people with no tactical training. Opt for the four day course instead
--your training will consist of dry and live fire, as well as supplemental lectures and videos in the classroom (covering tactics as well as legal liabilities)
--a four day course will involve clearing doors and corners, scenario inside a simulation house, and an introduction to night shooting.
--the instructors are great and will work with you to improve, and without being harshly critical

Best of luck to you!

kraigwy

Weaver isn't bad, but many, like myself, believe it's dated

Weaver isnt dated, its differant. People are differant, you need to expose students to all styles to see what works best for them.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
kraigwy said:
...Weaver isnt dated, its differant. People are differant, you need to expose students to all styles to see what works best for them...
I recently took a class from Massad Ayoob, and his take, basically, is that it's worthwhile to learn various techniques. Some will suit you better than others, and some will be better suited to certain situations than others.

For example, if you are turning toward your weak side toward a threat from that direction, the Weaver works better. If you are turning toward a threat from your strong side, the isosceles will work better. If you are wearing a suit jacket, the isosceles might not work well for you. While each of us may have a favorite, default technique, it's useful to have some proficiency in many.

One of the biggest things you will notice in your research is mirrored in this thread.
You will get a whole bunch of people who have never been there offering their opinion that is usually in sharp contrast to those who have actually been there.
On the internet there is never a shortage of information. The problem is that most of what is presented as fact is usually completely uneducated opinion based on something they read on the internet from someone else that didn't know anything about the subject they were talking about.

When researching anything on the internet the first question you should ask is: What is your personal experience ? If they have no personal experience, move on.
In this case, when someone gives you advice ask them if they have ever taken a class there. If they answer no, ask if they have at least been there. I think you can see where this is going at this point.

Last edited: