Thinking about buying a 9.

Patriot86

I am making a trek to the LGS next weekend and thinking about buying my second handgun. I am thinking this time I will get something in 9MM that I can shoot a little more economically than my P226 in .40S&W. In addition to a target/range gun this gun will also be the "go to" gun in a home defense scenario for my wife.

Last time I was at the range I had my eye on a P-229E2 but I am by no means married to SIG.

I have the following set of parameters and would love ideas for guns to research and look over on my next trip.

#1 MUST be DA/SA
#2 Something similar in size to a P-229 but no "smaller"
#3 10+ Magazine capacity
#4 Reliable
#5 Ease of maintainability
#6 $900.00 and under
#7 Available with night sights

Any input is appreciated

thanks in advance guys(and gals)!

RT

Hk P30

"At 91,300 rounds, the P30 was running strong. Even after a chunk went missing from the frame, the gun had turned in well over five thousand rounds of accurate and reliable service. I carried it every day.... In 91,322 rounds, the gun was only cleaned fifteen times — once going over 12,000 rounds between cleanings. It was rarely lubed more often than once every 4-5,000 rounds. Multiple days per week it was subjected to consecutive hours of high volume rapid fire practice that often made the gun too hot to touch."

http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/p30-thursday

Last edited:

Patriot86

@ RT, thanks for the suggestion.
Anything you can say briefly that makes the H&K P30 "unique" or a better choice than a P229 or a 84FS?
I will be the first to admit I know next to nothing about H&K handguns.

Edit: @ Tolesy, same goes for CZ

Passionate gun owners=happy gun owners

Uncle Malice

Patriot,

The P229 is my favorite pistol period. I am also an HK fan.. since you already have the P226 and know what a superb gun it is, why not try somethign a little different?

The P30 is an excellent gun, and I find it to be the most ergonomic gun I have ever felt. With that said I would also recomment trying the P2000 as well. The P2k is an excellent CCW weapon. light, ergonomic, accurate, reliable.

Order from CDNN if you decide to go that route. Will likely save you a couple hundred dollars from your LGS.

One of the best ways to research guns you're thinking of is youtube videos. Give that a shot. Then, if possible, go and shoot the guns you think you'd like.

Patriot86

Thanks Uncle.
Will do my research and come up with a decision eventually(took me 4 hours in the gun store and several weeks of online research to zero in on my 226).

FoxtrotRomeo

Well for the most part I'm an SA guy. Dunno why, just seems to be more "me" however, I understand first hand that Sigs are great pistols. A 220 or any sig based on it (which is almost every pistol they have in inventory) is a very fine pistol without question.

So without going to look it up, I can't recommend a specific type of SA/DA pistol. However one of your specs tripped my attention. Something your wife can use too.

One thing I can mention in operating plastic fantastics and full on metal pistols of various types is that a full on metal one has one thing that the polymers may never have as an advantage. Mass... The dense metal as a whole in such a quantity enables a shooter to be able to combine proper technique with felt recoil absorption. It absorbs the energy of the shot more efficiently than polymer because it takes more energy to move both the metal slide and the metal frame not to mention fighting the recoil spring to complete the cycle properly. That means she feels less recoil and might feel more comfortable shooting it.

btw, before someone uses the "this plastic one weighs more than this metal one" thing to defend their own choice (Of which I have no interest in attacking), aluminum and titanium and some other metals weigh less than steel and thus have less mass.

denfoote

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest you look at the Taurus (gasp) PT92AFS.
I know everybody is gonna flame till I'm roasted, but mine is a gem!!

PT92-AFS.jpg

insolentshrew

If you want something with a metal frame obviously you have your eye on a 229, but as others have said CZ, could go beretta 92fs too.

For polymer, the above mentioned HKs, fnp9/fnx9 are good, but don't forget the often overlooked sig pro series.

p95

At around $350 the Ruger P95 is a great buy. I love mine! It fits all of ur requirements particularly ease of maintaining, it breaks down in 15 seconds. Also u might consider the SR9 or the SR9c

Jamas

+1 for the beretta 92fs... or if it's for HD the 92a1 so you can put a light on it and can change out the sights.

I like my Para P18.9, 19rnds of 9mm and plenty of mag extentions to bring it up to around 25. The trigger is top notch, very nice even for a 1911. I know you said DA/SA, but this is worth consideration. As a DA/SA gun, I like the Sig 2022.

CWKahrFan

My 2 cents: Save yourself some $ without sacrificing anything major... Go with one of the CZ's and put the $ saved towards more ammo.