Thinking about building an AR and have questions.

Jeff H

So I like to tinker and I thought it would be fun to build an AR. It certainly has to be easier than building a 1911 and that is on my list as well. :D

A few questions:
Is the Lower receiver the only piece I have to buy from a FFL? can I just order everything else regular mail order?

Not being a real fan of 5.56, I think I can get an upper chambered in .308 right?

Can an AR typically be built for cheaper than buying a whole rifle? They are running around 900-1500 around here for the complete rifle.

For those that have built one, did you enjoy the experience or was it more of a pain in the a$$ then it was worth?

rjrivero

Jeff H said:
So I like to tinker and I thought it would be fun to build an AR. It certainly has to be easier than building a 1911 and that is on my list as well.

A few questions:
Is the Lower receiver the only piece I have to buy from a FFL? can I just order everything else regular mail order?
Yes.

Jeff H said:
Not being a real fan of 5.56, I think I can get an upper chambered in .308 right?
You are looking to build an AR-10 which can handle the length of the .308 and similar. The AR-15 is limited to the shorter length cartridges.

Jeff H said:
Can an AR typically be built for cheaper than buying a whole rifle? They are running around 900-1500 around here for the complete rifle.
That used to be the case. I don't know if the prices have come down a whole lot, but you should be able to build a quality AR-15 for about $700 or so, if you shop around for parts.

Jeff H said:
For those that have built one, did you enjoy the experience or was it more of a pain in the a$$ then it was worth?
I enjoyed it a great deal. A lot of satisfaction knowing you built it yourself. Now if you are the type to go out build it and try to sell it, you'll be disappointed. I built one for my daughter in .22 LR and pinked it out. It was a labor of love.

Jeff H

You are looking to build an AR-10 which can handle the length of the .308 and similar. The AR-15 is limited to the shorter length cartridges.

Is a stripped AR lower good for either the AR10 or AR15?

Shipman515

Lower

No, you'll have to get one for just .308. If thats what you are gonna build its gonna be a good bit more than the 5.56 to build.

DBAR

You should get the proper tools. They don't cost much, and you'll have them for the other builds your going to build. You won't be able to stop with just one.

You'll need a barrel nut wrench, roll pin punch set, snap ring wrench, and good receiver block. A good torque wrench is a good thing to have. Having friends that are mechanics is a good thing. Then you won't have buy a torque wrench. Brownells or Midway is a good place to start shopping for tools. You should also sign up as a member over at AR15.com. There is a whole section on building your own AR15.

You won't save a whole lot of money, but you will enjoy it, and you'll have a great since of accomplishment. Take your time, and do it right. Build it the way you want it, and don't be too cheap when it comes to parts. Quality parts will make for a reliable and dependable AR15.

DBAR

I partially built my own, and it was a fun exercise.

I did cheat and buy an assembled A2 upper (no bolt) because I found one at a gunshow for a very good price.

Everything else, though, I did.

The one thing I never got around to doing was installing the bolt hold open. One of these days. That part is a pain to install, though, because the pin is very small and it's very easy to scratch the hell out of the receiver while putting it together.

DBAR

The one thing I never got around to doing was installing the bolt hold open. One of these days. That part is a pain to install, though, because the pin is very small and it's very easy to scratch the hell out of the receiver while putting it together.

Just use the proper sized roll pin punch and get it started in the hole. Then take a pair of vice grips, and tape up both ends with electrical tape. You can then use the vice grips to squeeze the pin in the hole with out banging the hell out of the receiver.

DBAR

Quentin2

I just bought a lower receiver the other day and am about to get a parts kit and buttstock to complete it. Never done this before but after studying the tutorials and videos on the web it doesn't look bad at all. Just read all you can about it and as long as you have average mechanical aptitude it should go well.

I'm only building one so will try to make do with normal tools in the garage, should be enough. As far as the upper receiver, I'm going to buy that assembled and testfired from the factory. I'd recommend that for most one-time builders. I imagine you can get a full warranty on the upper that way, too. Really the lower isn't that complicated so you can save money doing it yourself and saving the federal excise tax on the complete rifle over just paying it on a $130 lower receiver.

NWPilgrim

The stripped lower receiver is the only part which requires an FFL transfer. Lower parts kit, uppers, bolts, etc can be purchased through the mail or any stocking shop.

One cost savings is the taxes you pay. A firearms tax is levied on the firearm purchase. If you buy a stripped lower you pay the tax on just the lower (tax is included in the price). A lower goes for anywhere around $110 - $175. If you purchase the entire firearm then you are paying firearms tax on about a $1,000 item.

If you are only building one rifle you will likely spend more on tools then what you will save. A hybrid approach is to buy a complete lower receiver assembly, and in a separate transaction on a different day buy a complete barreled upper assembly. Some uppers include the bolt carrier and bolt, others do not and you have to buy in addition. If you get a flattop then you need a iron rear sight (BUIS) and/or an optic sight.

If you are planning to build a few rifles then getting the basic tools (can't remember, maybe $50 - $100) is a good investment. AR15.com has excellent tutorials on every aspect of assembly options, tools and detailed photo instructions.

My first AR15 I bought a DPMS complete lower assembly, and later a complete LMT upper and a bolt carrier group, and Troy rear folding BUIS. This was before the election when complete uppers and lwoers were plentiful.

For the next few rifles I bought Rock River Arms and a Double Star stripped lowers (what was available), RRA lower parts kit and butt stock assemblies (includes buffer assembly). I got another couple of LMT upper and BCG, with LMT or Troy BUIS, and the last one is waiting for an upper. I was piecing them together as I had funds and as parts became available for a reasonable price (very spotting earlier this year).

I would build a rifle if I wanted a configuration not available as whole rifle, or if funds and parts were limited and I wanted to spread it out over a period of time. careful though. I bought a stripped upper receiver thinking I could build it up. But it has been hard to find the barrel assembly I want as most barrels are being sold in complete upper assemblies (more profit and wider market). It is easier right now to buy a complete barreled upper receiver than to but a barrle on its own.

Stripped lowers, parts kits, and butt stock assmeblies are fairly easy to find once again.

ETA: An AR15 lower receiver can be used with uppers for 5.56/.223, .22LR conversions, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39 and similar short cartridges. You need an AR10 sized lower for the longer .308 sized cartridges (.243, .260, etc.).

Kurbsky

No, you'll have to get one for just .308. If thats what you are gonna build its gonna be a good bit more than the 5.56 to build

I think it's just easier to buy a complete DPMS Panther in .308. They are not expensive.
5.56 caliber AR-15s are a different story. I think it's better to assemble the lower and stock yourself and buy a complete upper from a good company. But a good upper will cost you.

essohbe

I want to build one but don't have the funds yet. Anyway, I am more and more set on the 5.45x39 cartridge so as far as the magazines go, are there any? Could I just find a follower and stick that in a regular 5.56 mag?