Thinking about Barnes

PawPaw

For years I've been reloading standard bullets, but lately I've been thinking about Barnes. I know, for example, that my .308 likes 168 grain bullets, but I'm not sure if I should go with a 165/168 in the Barnes. Because it's a monolithic bullet, it should be lighter for the length.

Is there a general rule of thumb, or am I over-complicating this?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
IMO, the whole attraction of Barnes bullets is that they make them light for caliber and you can drive them to (comparative) lightning speed.

I like light, fast bullets and I'm not shooting deer at 500 yards so I don't care about retained energy at distance, I care about impact speed.

In .308 cal, they make 110 and 130gr as the two lightest. I'd start with the 110 and use it if it shot well.

They're usually about the same length as the next step up in conventional bullets. 110=130, 130=150, 150=165/8, etc, give or take.

myfriendis410

They are good. I've killed deer and hogs (as well as numerous coyotes, prairie dogs and ground squirrels) with the Barnes in everything from .243 to 45/70. Usually they are one shot, DRT. Like the above post; go light for caliber and drive 'em hard. It seems the Barnes likes to be driven at the upper end of the load spectrum, but be careful of copper fouling. It's a great choice for almost any game in North America.

Paul B.

"If their bullets are just half as good as their video makes them out to be then they ought to be pretty good."

They are. I've taken two cow elk with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX, both one shot kills.
Currently, I'm working with the 100 gr. TSX in my 257 Robt., the 120 and 140 gr. TSX in the 7x57 Mauser and .280 Remington.

The load for the .257 is about done. I'm working with the seating depth to see if I can get a bit better accuracy but what I have so far is more than sufficient.
I'm hoping the 7x57 will take to the 120 gr. bullet as it would be great for deer and if it should like the 140 gr bullet that would be great as I could use it for elk. Ditto for the .280. Right now it's working for top speed combined with accuracy in the two rifles.
FWIW, my pet load in the Whelen does an honest 2710 FPS average and the rifle will put three 225 gr. TSX into a half inch on a pretty consistant basis. Found that load the first time out. Sometimes you just get lucky. ;) I have two other rifles in .35 Whelen but that load is way too hot for them.:( One however digests a decent 250 gr. load and the third is used strictly for cast bullet shooting.
Do I like the Barnes bullets? Based on what little game I've taked and my load work up results, I'd have to say yes, at tis point in time I do like them. I'm looking forward to rying the TTSX bullets as well. They might be even better in the smaller and slower rounds like the .257 Bob and 7x57.
Paul B.

Marco Califo

myfriendis410

The 168 gr. TTSX is my "go to" bullet in the .300 win mag and has accounted for numerous hogs, deer and elk. It's a great choice.

reynolds357

Barnes will perform if your rifle will shoot them. Most of my hunting rifles shoot them as good as they shoot anything else. A few wont group them.