Thinking about ballistics...

SundownRider

I was just sitting here reading the threads regarding 380's and 25's, and a question popped into my head. What might happen if you necked down the 380 to accept the 32 bullet, ala .357 SIG sort of thing?
Just wondering if the resultant higher pressure would produce sufficient velocity to create a more effective round in a diminutive package?

michael t

been done 32NAA that s a 380 necked to 32 They did a 32 to 25 also 25NAA Corbon makes ammo and NAA Guardian the pistol I will stay with my 380 thank you.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
A little blurb I found on your idea with a quick search.

Gimmick Rounds

I’ve been asked why we don’t make a pistol for the necked down NAA .32 cartridge as produced by Corbon. The answer is simple. The NAA .32 necked cartridge produces less penetration, a smaller expanded bullet, and more mass loss than a .380 hollow point cartridge while requiring a pistol package of the same size as a .380. Relative expansion of the NAA .32 expressed in a percentage is admittedly greater, but the ultimate expanded bullet size is still less than an expanded .380 bullet and penetration is also less.

I just don’t see any point to it outside of novelty sales, but I’m always willing to listen to anyone who can give me a good reason why a .380 necked down to a souped up .32 that provides a smaller hole and less penetration than a hollow point .380 is a better choice than a .380. (I don’t want to hear about the value of small entry holes from folks who collect pelts.)

http://www.seecamp.com/ammunition.htm