Thinking about a wheel gun

dave421

Ok, I'm a semi-auto guy. That's all I've ever owned and all I've ever shot. I've always HATED revolvers.... until my ex-roommate picked up a Taurus .38. After looking at it (haven't fired it) I got REALLY interested. Where I work now, I can't carry anything larger than a Kel-tec, Bersa, or Kahr. Problem is that I've had problems with ALL of those so I'm stuck not carrying at all. I really hate not being able to carry.

Sooooo, I'm thinking about crossing over. Problem is that I know NOTHING about revolvers. So I need to be edumacated.

A few things I'm looking at for:

-Smaller (not an airweight or whatever but something I can carry on my ankle or even pocket)

-.38 - I have arthritis in my hands that is getting worse. I can't go above a 9mm Subcompact if I want to shoot more than 50 rounds in a range visit. .40+ is fine as long as it's a full-size or metal Compact (polymer compacts = 100-150 rounds, metal Compact or full-size = shoot all day).

- Cheap. I hate to say it since it's something that I possibly would use to defend my life but I don't want to spend $400+ on a gun that is very possibly something that I won't like.

I've been told that Taurus makes a really good revolver & of course S&W. Anything I should look out for? Any specific recommendations? Am I just crazy?

Thanks in advance.

DJWright

If your wanting a small defense handgun, I would hightly recommend a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum, with the bobbed hammer for double action only. The Rugers are a little heavier then most, which helps with the recoil a lot. It it probably the stongest snub nose out there as well. With some lighter Wolf springs and a good slick action job, they are very easy to hit well with. O, and put some Hogue rubber grips on it, as that also reduces felt recoil and fits the hand much better. Mines so accurate that I can actually hunt with it. Good shootin'

I don't have more than $400.00 into this whole rig... gun was low $300's... it's an air weight so it's easy to carry, & is chambered in 32 H&R magnum, this cartridge is slightly smaller than the 38, but at a higher velocity, & about equals the 38 in power, it's very easy to shoot, not overly loud, & pretty accurate... ( it also holds 6 rounds instead of 5 like similarly sized 38's )

S&W had disconinued these a while back, but I found this NIB not too long ago, Taurus, makes a gun similar, & Ruger offers the SP-101 in 32 H&R Magnum as well...

attachment.php

Webleymkv

I'm personally very partial to a K-Frame S&W snub. My personal carry gun is a S&W Model 66-2 .357 Magnum with a 2.5" barrel (these were available in 6, 4, and 3" barrels as well)

BuffaloSabresGame72.jpg

Other K-frame models available are: M-19 .357 Magnum (blued or nickel version of M66 available with 6, 4, or 2.5" barrels), M-65 .357 Magnum (fixed sights available in 6, 4, or 3" barrel), M-13 .357 Magnum (blued or nickel version of M-65 same barrel lengths), M-10 .38 Special (blue or nickel fixed sights 4, 3, or 2" barrel), M-64 (stainless version of M-10 same barrel lengths), M-15 .38 Special (adjustable sights 4 or 2" barrel), M-12 .38 Special (aluminum frame version of M-10 commonly with 2" barrel)

The 3" or shorter .357's usually have round butts which is preferable for concealment. the .38's can have either square or round butts. My revolver weighs 33.1oz unloaded and for me carries as easily on a belt holster as my Walther PP .32ACP. If a smaller revolver is preferred, a Colt D-frame would be an excellent choice. This is my 1953 vintage Colt Cobra.

Nickgunphotos005.jpg

The Colt D-Frame is available in three basic models in either .32 or .38 caliber (I reccomend .38 Special) usually with 2" barrels although they are occasionally encountered with 3" tubes: Colt Detective Special (all steel), Cobra (aluminum frame version of Detective Special), Agent (aluminum frame with shortened butt). Later models of these guns had shrouded ejector rods. The steel Detective Special is approved for limited amounts of +P ammo but it's prudent to stick with standard pressure in the Cobra and Agent.

Most of the S&W K-Frames and all of the Colt D-Frames are now discontinued but they are readily available on the used market for $300-400.

Neophyte1

Gp100

dave421: Sir; obvious to state first; Revolvers come in a basic configuration.
Single action, Double action, or both.
Ruger has them all beat with Strong; dependable, GP100, SP101,
Length 3"-6" are a little on the heavier side. [wont leave home without one]
Trigger; in double action; a little heaver. Single Action; a little rough. Nothing a combat gun will have problems with. Triggers for target shooting can and do respond nicely. Factory typically 5-6t pds. reworked 2.5-3.5lbs reasonable expectation
.38-.357= GP100 .357 and practicing with .38's

bluetopper

I'll recommend a 9mm revolver like mine. They are discontinued but you can still find one on gunbroker. Very small framed and will slip in your pocket easily.
9mmrev.jpg

dawgfvr

I recommend a Ruger GP100. Once you become adept at the DAO drill, I then recommend a S&W 642. You will carry the 642 in your pocket for the rest of your life...and feel confident with the dependable revolver.

Duo.jpg

Sgt.Fathead

Sp101

I do not live in a CCW state. Hell, we don't have any kind of carry in NJ. That said, the Ruger SP101 is a fine five-shot revolver. Own three, shoot them silly (300-400 rounds per session) and they keep on coming.

Stainz

S&W's best selling revolver is the 642, like the one in an earlier post. It is a take anywhere in your pocket revolver - if you have a CCL. You can load it up with 158gr +P LHPSWC, aka 'The FBI Load', or the Speer 135gr +P Gold Dots - heck, even 148gr target wadcutters are good stoppers! There is a second thread at 'THR' on "The 642 Club", for more info. I bought mine as a LNIB for $315 OTD at a local yuppee store - new ones were/still are ~ $400 here. A Robert Mika's pocket holster (~$22 now) and an HKS #36 speedloader, and you are good to go.

The 642 is in a Mika's pocket holster at the bottom - with those LHPSWCs. It's similar but larger bigger sibling, a 296 in .44 Special with 200gr Gold Dots, is at the top.

IMG_0206.jpg

Stainz

Harrigan

I love my little 642 but if you have a problem with recoil it may not be the gun for you, after firing 50 rounds or so you will feel it. Gunmags call it a gun that is carried often but fired very little. I found that I had to put in a large amount of practice to become proficient with it so depending on the extent of your pain you may want something heavy like a ruger sp101 or my favorite the Smith and Wesson M66 2-3/4" but then plan on a good holster and very difficult ankle carry.

BillCA

Dave,

The issue of arthritis in your hands tells me you'll be a lot more comfortable firing a steel .38 than a lightweight wheelgun.

Either the S&W hammerless "Centennial" models (640) or the shrouded "Bodyguard" (649) make good carry guns. The newer ones can chamber .357, though most carry .38 +P ammo.

jduo03.jpg

S&W Centennial Model 042 Airweight (top)
S&W Bodyguard Model 649 Stainless (bottom)

The Bodyguard is one of my favorite carry revolvers because I'm reasonably accurate with it and it's small enough to not be a nusiance.

The alternative, if recoil will bother your hands, is the aforementioned .32 H&R Magnum. For this I prefer the Centennial configuration for pocket carry. Here it's shown with the .38 Airweight Model 042 Centennial for a size comparison.

SW432PDv042.jpg

S&W Centennial Model 042 Airweight (top)
S&W Centennial Model 432PD Airweight (bottom) .32 H&R Magnum

The .32 H&R won't leave you feeling undergunned as the cartridge puts out .38 Special power but with very little recoil impulse. And you get six shots, not five.

Jkwas

Taurus small frame snub

The Taurus 605 .357

605SS.jpg

A good all purpose revolver. Mine has been very good to me, and it's a great shooter. It's my nightstand gun and my CCW when I don't carry my Keltec.

LH2

The aforementioned S&W J-Frame chambered in .32 H&R Magnum is a nice choice if you can find one. Less than .38+P power, but less recoil is a good thing if you have arthritis.

If you want to stick with .38, then a steel framed J-Frame like the LadySmith or used Chiefs Special will take a bite out of recoil with the heavier frame compared to the Airweight or Airlight J-Frames.

Can't beat a J-Frame for everyday, all-the-time carry. Good thinking. :D

computerguysd

+1 for the 649 Bodyguard for a carry revolver. No snag hammer, single action option!

One consideration for you in a dependable semi-auto could be a Sig P232.

5 shots of .357 mag vs 7+1 of .380 / revolver vs semi

Decisions, decisions, decisions... - lol