Thinking about a P-99

BlueTrain

I have been thinking about a Walther P-99 for a few months now. Buying one, that is. I had been considering a 9mm, chiefly because I have a lot of 9mm ammunition. Fortunately, in a way, the shop I patronize sold its 9mm one before I committed myself but they still have a .40. Both were the AS version, I think, which is all I would consider because it works the way just about all the other automatics I've had worked, only it is hammerless.

Then, lo, I walk into the shop the other day and noticed they had a used P-99 AS in .40. The sleepless nights begin.

I don't have a stock of ammunition in that caliber but for the difference in price between new and used, it doesn't matter. The gun itself is in decent shape and hopefully comes with a spare magazine, which are expensive. Come to think of it, I rarely see a used gun there of recent manufacture that isn't in great shape, so only the very newest models have I bought new. But here are my thoughts.

If we ignore the fact that I would be using a new cartridge, what else can we say about the .40 S&W? I've read most postings on this and on the Walther forum and some love it, others merely think it is OK. It sounds very high pressure and prone to problems but the 9mm has the same maximum working pressure but apparently never has any problems like the .40 S&W. You tend to hear more about problems than anything else, however.

Then there's that odd magazine release. Pity, I like the heel-type release on my P5, which I'm keeping. The lever on the P99 seems like it would be easy to accidently release the magazine just when you didn't want to and it also looks like it would crowd the holster, too. But I've made similiar comments about the button release on my other automatic and how it sure looks like it would accidently depress when in the holster, yet that's never happened. What do others think of this style magazine release, which is also used on a H&K USP.

Mind you, they have other interesting used guns, and even a Savage Model 99. But I let the P7 get away.

pilpens

I have a Walther P99 DA/SA (1st Gen).
Accurate. Reliable. Durable? I think so. It is my primary CC handgun but I only shoot a few rounds a month with it.
I like the mag release, It is easy to manipulate. It is difficult to accidentally release a mag.
DA is smooth and SA is crisp and clean. I liked the DA first shot for carry.
===========
The old style mag release can be a little sharp but the new models are better.
===========
I do not think I would like the pistol if it is in .40. I have not tried one in .40. At the range, I shoot my 1911 9mm which spoils me when it comes to recoil.
===========

dpetreikis

I carried a P99 on duty (armed security) for 5 years. Never had a problem with the mag release, it never released accidentally and I actually like the paddle-type release, having used it on the HK USP I used to carry as well. My duty P99 was 40 cal. Many police departments use the 40 cal and it seems to have worked well enough for them. Recoil was manageable and follow-up shots were easy, even though the one I used was DAO. Dropping partially-loaded mags (practicing tactical reloads) often caused the base plates to come off and scatter any remaining rounds all over the floor. Very ergonomic and reliable.

EricReynolds

The P99 is a fine weapon. I like the .40 cal, but for a pistol with a frame this size, I'd prefer a 9mm for recoil's sake if for no other reason.

Smaug

Stand by, BlueTrain.

Don't get excited about a gun your LGS has that is *almost* right. I think the 40 is a good cartridge, but you have some compelling reasons to stick with 9mm. You have a stock of ammo, the ammo is cheaper, it meets your needs, etc.

I had a 1st gen. P99, in 9mm, and it was a GREAT gun. I bought it for a girlfriend, who became an ex. I think they were about $800 back then. James Bond fever and all that. She took the gun and sold it when we broke up. Lesson: Don't buy guns for girlfriends. Buy them for yourself and let her use it when she wants.

There is also a CZ that is the same type of gun, but with a quite different grip shape. Everyone who has one loves it. They appear a little more angular, but are still said to be very comfortable. They have weird triangular sights that are said to work really well. I can't recall the model # now. Not sure if it is as good as a Walther though.

Hold out for the one you really want. I think you had made the right choice originally, and are now being tempted just because it is there, looking so pretty in the case next to all the other guns.

Iron Man

Get it and you will never regret it. I have two, a first gen .40 AS and a third gen .40 AS.

It is truly the best shooting pistol I have. I am a huge Walther fan. They shoot great, breakdown super easy, and if you buy aftermarket magazines you can get them for $10 each.

The only downside is the tactical rail does not work with everything. The spacing of the accessory grooves is different that most other pistols. My 3rd Gen has a laser and flashlight on it now (not in the photos). Follow the link to see my Walthers.

My Walthers

Fargazer

I have both a P99 and P99c in 9mm for carry purposes; great guns, very reliable. Sometimes it is difficult to find holsters for them; Walther isn't the most forthcoming to provide molds to holster makers.

I would consider the AS model (DA/SA emulation) trigger over the QA (DAO emulation), and I would think about putting Trijicon night sights on it.

9mm1033

This is mine.

DSCN4433-1-1.jpg

She's 9 years old and I probably haven't shot it 9 times. I tell myself every other month to sell it. But, she can out shoot for accuracy my $1500.00 Performance Center S&W 952. For today, I'll keep her. Good luck on finding a used one, I've seen only a couple under glass.

Last edited:

pilpens

Fargazer,
How does recoil between the full size 9 and the compact compare? Is you compact SA/DA?

I think summitgunborker.com and CDNN has some Walther/S&W 99s at good prices.

Pilot

What is the difference between the QA trigger and the AS trigger? I've always been intrigued by these pistols but could never get over the aesthetics, mostly of the grip.

balance

Pilot, the QA trigger is the constant-action trigger option, while the AS trigger is the DA/SA that the P99 originally came in. Aestheticly, I think the P99 is the best looking polymer pistol ever made, especially the first generation model like in 9mm1033's pic.

I much prefer the AS trigger as this is probably the best factory DA/SA trigger I have ever felt in any DA/SA pistol, metal or plastic. The DA is long, but smooth, and the reset is probably as short, or shorter than the 1911s I have handled, and it resets at the break point, which makes it very easy for me to shoot quickly and accurately.

BlueTrain, I used to own a 2nd generation 40cal model, but I sold it and then bought a 1st generation 9mm, and I would prefer the 9mm over the 40. The P99 has more muzzle flip than probably any other pistol of it's size, and it is more comfortable in 9mm in my opinion. That being said, the P99 I have now was my favorite pistol for years, since I couldn't find another pistol I could shoot as fast and as accurately as my P99. For some reason, the muzzle flip does not have any negative effect on my speed and accuracy with this pistol since the grip and trigger are great, in my opinion. The pistol feels like a high quality piece, and at around 5k rounds with it now, I have only had one jam with it because of one round of Magtech 147gr ammo I was using that had no gun powder in it. I believe the P99 is the most under-rated pistol out there, and I have no idea why it never really took off.

This is the most in depth review I could find of it, and I would agree with a lot of what he said: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/9149-walther-p99-review.html

BlueTrain

Thanks for all the comments. The P99 new is not an inexpensive pistol but I imagine it is close to average anymore, to be fair. Only Ruger and CZ of the better guns seem to be less expensive and a lot are more expensive.

I've handled both the AS and the QA versions and for me, the AS variation is my choice, partly because I think it is a little safer and it works like any other DA/SA automatic I've ever had. But I'm also certain that lots of folks won't like for that reason. To be honest, any apprehension about carrying a QA version is offset by the way you de-cock the AS model. You press the tab and you hear the striker go forward. A little unnerving but as the guy at the shop said, you just have to have faith.

All of the .45 automatics I've ever had had considerable muzzle flip, although they weren't "snappy," as I've seen the recoil of a .40 described. The .38 Supers I had were a little snappy in comparison but nothing worth mentioning. It sounds like I'm worried about nothing as far as the recoil goes.

Ultimately I have no logical reason to get this gun, so there is no reasoning here.

Iron Man

Pilot, the QA (Quick Action) is a double action only pistol. It has a heavier and longer trigger pull than the AS (Anti-Stress). The AS is a SA/DA pistol. Once cocked it is in SA mode with a very light trigger pull. After you decock it the pistol is in DA mode and requires the longer and heavier pull.

Blue Train, as far as the pistol in .40 I love mine. I don't consider the recoil bad and can keep all my shots in a four inch area at fifty feet. I have not had any issues finding holsters, only accessories that work on the rails.

The pistol comes with four different front sights, an adjustable rear sight, and interchanable backstraps for the grips.

The design is so successful that S&W copied it as the SW99. It is also the new Baby Eagle.

Smaug

BlueTrain said:
Thanks for all the comments. The P99 new is not an inexpensive pistol but I imagine it is close to average anymore, to be fair. Only Ruger and CZ of the better guns seem to be less expensive and a lot are more expensive.

Lots of my guns are Rugers, and I love them. But they are not in the same league, finish-wise, as Walthers. I've never had a CZ, but have shot them. These are also a step below Walther, as far as finish quality goes. They all shoot well.

BlueTrain said:
I've handled both the AS and the QA versions and for me, the AS variation is my choice, partly because I think it is a little safer and it works like any other DA/SA automatic I've ever had. But I'm also certain that lots of folks won't like for that reason. To be honest, any apprehension about carrying a QA version is offset by the way you de-cock the AS model. You press the tab and you hear the striker go forward. A little unnerving but as the guy at the shop said, you just have to have faith.

You're making a mistake here. You've giving up one of the big advantages Walther has over every other striker-fired pistol by going with the long, heavy trigger. In the QA model, you have to pull it all the way to the rear for it to fire. The trigger breaks in the last 1/32" or so, and it is 8 lbs. or so to break. You're not going to fire it accidentally, so don't fall for that marketing hype for the AS. If you're not going to get the QA, you may as well save a couple hundred and get a S&W M&P or a Block.

As for having faith, I disagree with that too. The decocker is an option that you don't need to use. It is not easy to press accidentally, it takes a good few pounds of pressure on just the right part of the slide. If you don't use it, it is just like a Glock. You can drop the mag and rack the slide to make it safe if you're not comfortable with the decocker.

BlueTrain

I have never found fault with any DA trigger system (other than a Colt DA revolver and a Nagant revolver). They have all been perfectly manageable for me. I've even had DA-only revolvers and automatics. Never a problem. This one P-99 I was looking at had an acceptable trigger but on this point I guess I'm not all that sensitive to triggers. I also didn't think it was at all heavy.

On the decocker idea, I was surprised at how heavy it was but given the location, it would be unlikely for it to be accidentally pressed, and even if it was, I don't see how it could cause a problem.

What's a Block?

zombieslayer

I have an AS model in .40, and its a real dream to shoot. Its got the best trigger iver ever had on a plastic gun, and is 100% reliable and deadly accurate. The grip is simply amazing, and follow-up shots are quick, thanks to the fantastic trigger reset.
Get a P99AS. You'll love it.

BlueTrain

Thanks. I'm glad someone has something entirely positive to say about what I'm considering. No doubt it will be sold before I get there.

BlueTrain

OK, I showed up bright and early last Saturday morning, trade goods in hand and--it was gone. All that lost sleep for nothing. However, I went home with no deal even though they had many, many other things to drool over. Better think about it some more.