Thinking about a J Frame Sized Revolver......

cslinger

I am thinking about picking up a revolver possible for carry duty. I really like the Smith Airlites and to go in the compete opposite direction I like the Ruger SP101.

I want something with a hammer that will allow traditional double/single action and prefer .357, simply because I like having the choice of two calibers.

I really don't care for Taurus handguns.

With that being said, what is everybody's suggestion.

Thanks

Chris

Walosi

When I started on the same search, I almost went nuts deciding between the SP 101, 649, and 640. I wound up with all three, eventually, and I'm still not totally decided. There is absolutely no way to go wrong with the 101, IMO, and the 649 is equal. Giving up the exposed hammer costs you "X" yds. (different according to your abilities) and may or may not be a real factor in day to day carry. The SP 101 MAY have an advantage in strength, but I am not convinced it is enough to show up in what remains of my shooting lifetime. All can use a little smoothing out, but in my case this was accomplished with firing them, and good lubes. Recommendation? You're right in the ballpark with any of them, for all practical purposes, so pick the one most comfortable in your own hands. There are more aftermaket grips available for the Smiths, probably, but there are several good choices for the Ruger. These are all very handy little "personal" guns.

Deuce

I've owned the 337PD and currently own the 360SC and my wife's 642LS. Also, my cousin's husband has got the SP101.

Basically, the 642LS was the cheapest at $450. The other two S&W's were $550+.

I just saw an SP101 (w/concealed hammer) for $370.

But, aside from price, the lightweight S&W's are too light IMO. I hate shooting 'em ... which, in turn, makes them bad CCW guns. If you're going to shoot .38+P, I'd get, at least, a 20oz'er or close to it. If you're going to shoot .357, get the SP101 and some padded gloves.

Also, if I had it to do over again, instead of the 360SC, I'd've gotten the one with the concealed hammer (340, I think). The J-frames are just too well-suited for pocket carry to have an exposed hammer. I wanted the exposed hammer thinkin' I could shoot it SA, but, now, I'd rather have the smoother draw from a pocket.

If pocket-carry is out of the question, I'd take a serious look at the 386PD. The medium frame will help your accuracy and 7's better than 5. I'd only shoot 38+P (maximum) from it though ... 17.5oz.

If I were to start over today and buy a small CCW revolver, I'd get the SP101 in a heartbeat.

Good luck.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
If you desire a .38 special,

then by-pass the S&W AirLites and try to find a
vintage Smith & Wesson model 60 "Chief's Special"
in .38 caliber; or what I call the "old model". It was
the very first stainless steel handgun; originally was
manufactuered in 1965, back in "the good ole' day's"
It will have a 2" barrel and hammer mounted firing
pin; and YES some are still available.

After re-reading your post, if you really want a .357
magnum, then go for a new model 60. Frame mounted
firing pin, and it will fire both the .38 Special and the
.357 magnum. Or move up in frame size to a S&W K
(model 66), or L (model 686); but barrel length will
increase to 2.5".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

M1911

I recommend against .357 in a small revolver. It's just no fun at all. If you really, really want a .357, get either an SP101 or a S&W Model 60. Anything lighter than that and I really don't want to shoot .357 out of it. Realize that both of these are heavy little buggers. Fine for a belt holster, but heavy for a pocket. I've got an SP101, a 3" model 60, and a S&W 642 (aluminum .38 +p). Of the three, I carry the 642.

If you get a small .357, I think what you'll find is that you mostly shoot .38 Spcl out of it and you now have the penalty of carrying a bunch of extra weight around.

If you want a small .357 revolver, you have a choice of something that is a bit too heavy for a pocket (e.g., SP101) or something that has painful recoil and costs a lot (S&W scandium models). Or better yet, give up on .357 and get a .38 Spcl.

M1911

Last edited:

Elkslayer

I searched for just the right J-frame and ended up with a M60 .357 2" and a M342 .38 1 7/8.

The M60 is not comfortable to shoot much .357 ammo in. Yes, you can do it until you grit your teeth, but it isn't comfortable. Whereas the M342 is a joy to shoot with any type of ammo from mild wadcutters to well charged 158s.

Personally, I find the 342 with me much more than the M60 and I don't feel under gunned.

When I took the M60 out to the range for the first time, my buddy asked to shoot it. He shot one round and tossed it back to me and said "that's enough of that s#*t"! I shot 2 cylinders of .357s and decided I'd had enough. (Shooting is supposed to be enjoyable, go ahead and flame me for being a wimp). We then shot up all of the .38s I had using both revolvers.

Eric Larsen

Snubbies are a great little CCW option. A 357 is my choice also..I just like the round for a carry gun. For pocket carry/ankle carry get a 60 or 6** gun..great triggers and 357 wasnt bad to shoot in my 60 with the full 3 finger grip. For pocket/IWB carry go for the SP or 60, both are great. The Ruger has the edge in strength and the 60 in size and smoothness. I carry an SP in my pocket and dont mind it at all. I carry it everyday that I can wear jeans anyway..:D Its a little heavy for dockers. I had my SP done over by a smith and the triggers as smooth as my 60 was with lighter pull...very nice. Try them both and get what works for you......
Shoot well

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Hmmm...

You don't want a Taurus.

You want a hammer.

You want .357 Magnum on demand.

You want a light and handy CCW piece.

That kinda narrows it down to the...

Model 360 AirLite Sc

Robert Foote

My S&W 442 is the best thing I have found--it's a compromise, but a very fine one: Light, but not too light; kicks, but not too much; zero nuisance to carry along and disposes of a serious amount of power. Didn't cost a fortune but very well made.

My wife has had a dehorned and slicked up M 37 Airweight since 1976, still on duty and performing well. I have 'borrowed' it on occasion but like the concealed hammer of the 442 just a bit better.

There are a lot of choices out there (like laundry soap) but I'm not sure that real life demands 50 flavors. I am impressed with the metallurgy that allows a J frame to contain the .357 cartridge, but I prefer more controllability and less pain in my guns.

The essential point is not *which* gun you buy as the fact that you have one when needed, train with it, and think properly. Sometimes a gun is just a gun.

Thor

I agree with Mr. Foote et al. Nobody I know who owns one of the lightweight .357's practices much with it at all with that round and I don't believe that it is right to carry a round you don't practice with; counting on adrenaline to pull you through. I have the 342PD. More than enough for the 99.99% of situations for which it may (never) be used.

cslinger

Thanks for all the replies.

Just a note. If I didn't practice with .357 I would not carry it. I just like having the options of .357 or .38. I just like multi purpose objects. I dunno just personality trait. I drive a truck for that very same reason. I might not need a truck but I like having the utility there if I need it and I like the over engineering built in.

Between this thread and another I have started it sounds like I am slowly moving towards a slightly heavier gun. maybe 17 or 18 oz instead of 12.

I dunno, I am just picking your brains for a purchase that probably will not happen for some time.

Thanks

Chris

Deuce

Chris, I'm the same way. As there are 12oz .357 guns, there's no reason you can't get a .357 gun in the higher weight so you always have that option. If anything, you could load a .357 round or two in the last holes. If 3-4 of .38+P doesn't stop the BG, it might be nice to have the .357 by then. You're only risk is that you think about that .357 round being in there and you flinch, in which case, another .38+P is a better choice. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a J-frame .357 at 15oz. (which I think is a nice compromise between pain, for .38+P, and comfort-of-carry).

First, I'd pick the lightest gun that is acceptable for shooting .38+P and then, if you have a choice for .357 in the same weight or 1-2oz more, then get that one, otherwise, don't let it bug you that you're limited to .38+P.

Kentucky Rifle

Elkslayer...

It's not going to be ME who flames you. The .357 mag is absolutely the hardest on my hands of anything I've EVER fired. I tried changing grips and using shooting gloves and the .357 STILL killed my hands. (Kinda felt like a "buzz" in my right hand an hour later.) After firing a few rounds form a friend's lightweight .357 snub, my Glock 27 (.40 caliber) felt like a BB gun. However, the recoil from the Glock has never bothered me.

KR

BigG

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Go shoot the guns yourself and then you can make an informed decision.

blikbok

The SP-101 is not in the same category as the lightwieght Smiths, IMHO.

Are you looking for a 2" snubby or a 3" small-frame revolver? Your post suggests belt-carry.

cslinger

I am looking for a 2-2.25 inch snubby for either pocket or belt carry.

Basically I want the simplicity and strength of a revolver without having to worry about mag springs etc. that I can pretty much grab anytime.

My other carry gun is a SIG 225 which fits me perfectly but I would like to round things out with a nice snubbie.

My fiance' has an SP101 that is a spectacular gun that I could easily carry but I just wanted to know if there were any slightly lighter options that were not too punishing to shoot, as I typically run 50 to hundred rounds a week in practice. Not always the same guns but I want the ability to practice with my carry ammo more than just 10 rounds and then quit because my hand hurts.

I have no problem with .38 special +p for defensive ammo and that is what I would carry. The only reason I like the idea of a .357 is I like having the option to play with it now an then. I can be a little masochistic and a few rounds of .357 now and then for fun are not out of the question, but this would not be the guns carry mode.

My guns are all dual purpose. They are all considered possible defensive items in the unlikely event I ever have to use deadly force, I practice for this event like most of you do. However I like to shoot and play with my "big boy toys" and simply like having variety. Hence wanting the dual purpose of .357 / .38.

So I guess what I am looking for is the lightest snubbie I can shoot .38 +p out of without having to quit after 5 or 10 rounds. I want to be able to run 50 rounds minimum before fatigue or discomfort.

As far as .357 is concerned it would only be used as a evil, masochistic play round. You know just to put one or two through every now and then just to say to myself holy crap I just cracked open a little grenade in the hand.

So are we narrowing things down a bit? Is 12-15 oz too light for .38+P. is it too punishing to have fun with because if it is not fun we all know I won't shoot as much as I should. Those with experience would keep your 12-15 oz guns or do you wish you had a 20-25 oz gun. Again I am not of the buy it and never shoot it unless you need it camp. I am of the shoot everything you own at least every once in a while to stay proficient.

Thanks for all the great info. I have really recieved an education.

cslinger

One more thing

When I say big boy toys I am not implying that I run around playing cowboys and indians with the other "kids". I am very safe and only use terms like toys with other gun folks who will understand what I mean.

If anybody reading this is new to firearms etc. Guns are absolutely great fun.....as long as you treat them with the utmost respect and follow all the safety rules each time everytime. Remember to use that safety between your ears all the time.

Ok that is my disclaimer so nobody reading this runs out and shoots their neighbor because they wanted to play cops and robbers.:)

BigG

I think if you reread the posts to this and the other similar thread you started your questions have all been answered. Some people prefer the S&W some prefer the Ruger. Ford and Chevy. Coke and Pepsi.

I prefer the Scandium S&W for its size, weight, quality, and potency. Some guys (and girls) are recoil shy and would not shoot a 357 unless its in a steel N frame and then not very many rounds.

I happen to be fairly well seasoned and fire about anything without too much complaint. Your best bet is to actually invest the time in shooting the guns for yourself. There are plenty of shooters who can shoot more than a few cylinder fulls in a scandium without whining or going to the emergency room.

M1911

cslinger:

My 15 oz 642 is the limit for 158gr +P for me. Anything lighter than that is a waste for me. As for full power .357s, I wouldn't shoot them out of anything lighter than my 24 oz Model 60 or an SP101, and even then it wouldn't be much fun. YMMV.

M1911