Thinking about a cartridge conversion repro

Willie Lowman

Ok, I will admit it, this all started with watching to much television. I was reminded how much I like the look of those old open top Colts. One thing led to another and I found myself looking at this particular Cimarron model

CA9052-RichardsTransMod-8-Horiz_2.jpg

Are these guns well made? Will they hold up to being shot much or are they more for show?

Strafer Gott

I have four of the Cimmaron Ubertis'. 2 .44 Colts, a .44special, and a .38.
They are '72 Opentops, not the conversion replica you post. They shoot great, are easy to disassemble to clean, and the actions are at least as smooth as my second generation Colt Navy. I haven't done it yet, but these revolvers just beg for BP (Pyrodex) cartridge loads with cast boolits. The LGS has the one your looking at, a Rogers&Mason conversion in .45Colt. Tempting.

I have a couple cartridge conversion guns ( gun smith made & altered / strengthened, not just a conversion cylinder ) no Cimarron's though... my 2 are chambered in 32 S&W

attachment.php

& one in 32-20

attachment.php

The gun referred to in the opening post is not an aftermarket conversion using a conversion cylinder. It's a reproduction (ostensibly) of an historic style of conversion from the days of the "old west." It is sold as a cartridge revolver.

They are well made, and the steel is far superior to what was used in the originals (which was just as likely cast iron rather than steel -- but I'm not an "authority" on historic Colt revolvers. These guns are certainly safe to shoot using commercial "cowboy" loads, but I don't know if they're capable of withstanding thousands of rounds per year. Regardless of workmanship and quality of steel, they still don't have a top strap and the only thing holding the barrel in front of the cylinder is the wedge.