Thinking about a 1911..10 mm....

RGPM1A

I have had a comped Delta Elite pin gun since the late 80s and have put tens of thousands of hot rounds (200 grain JHPs @ 1200 fps) through it without a hiccup.

IMHO the 10mm is the best caliber for bowling pins and it is also great for steel plates too because you can load it way down too. The only problem with this caliber is you really need to hand load to take full advantage of it and not go broke shooting it.

DanD

I have had a Kimber Eclipse for about five years and it has been great so far. No complaints, as long as I can find ammo!

RickB

I have an older Delta Elite, and while it doesn't get shot a whole lot, I enjoy every round when I do shoot it. For the handloader, it's probably the best single round for the 1911, if you need one gun to do everything from plinking practice, to hunting, competition, or self-defense.

rock185

I'm a 1911 and 10MM fan, so years ago I decided I needed to try a 1911 in 10MM. I bought a new Colt Delta Elite. I still like the 1911 and the 10MM, just not in the same gun. The slide cycled at about warp 9 with the factory dual spring or heavy Wolff spring set up. It seemed to me that the Colt slide needed a couple more ounces of mass like the S&Ws and Glocks to properly handle tha actual 10MM, not the loaded down .40 S&W equivalent, loads. I think there's is a reason that in so many discussions of the 10MM in the 1911 platform I have seen, there is considerable discussion/debate about heavy recoil springs, buffers and recoil spring life,etc.

A fellow shooter told me that the top of his Delta slide cracked in the locking lug area. Colt replaced the gun under warranty and he immediately sold the replacement gun without firing it. Mine didn't break, just the paint in the white dot sights immediately popped out. I had BarSto install a ramped barrel because I thought it might add a little mass to the recoiling parts and moderate the warp 9 recoil. Helped nothing, and I soon sold the gun at considerable loss. I have also owned the Bren Ten, Glock 20, S&W 610 revolvers, Ruger Blackhawk .38-40/10MM, Kimber and several S&W 10XX series pistols. All but the Glock and Kimber were very reliable. Both my 610 revolvers were excellent, but my favorite 10MM semi-auto continues to be the S&W. They have the sllde mass to handle the real 10MM ammo without any concern about heavy recoil springs, buffers, etc. I'm not trying to badmouth the 1911 10MMs, lots of shooters like them. That was just not the way to go for me to go with the original type 10MM factory ammo and equivalent reloads. With a bull barrel and/or a comp the 1911 might be a better 10MM platform IMHO. ymmv

GONIF

I have a Colt Delta Elite, Springfield Omega 6 inch ported ,Glock 20 with a 6 inch KKM barrel,and a S&W1006. I hand load and shoot 10 a lot . My S&W1006 has had the trigger worked and is lite and crisp .It is my Favorite of the bunch .I did the Glock to lighten the trigger and it is better ,but Glock triggers will never be perfect. The Colt is stock ,the Springfield is stock ,and both are 100% reliable with Metalform mags. I get 1350 fps out of the Glock and the Springfield with 9.3 grains of Longshot and a Remington 180 grain Golden Saber JHP. The best I get out of the S&W and Colt is 1311 fps . It is all what You like best . Unless you reload the 10mm is a expensive round to shoot . FYI there are No Glock Smiles on the brass with the KKM barrel,but the Glock dents and bangs up the brass bad. I have 21 pound extra power recoil Springs in the Glock,Colt,and S&W.The Omega came with the right recoil spring to shoot full power 10mm from the factory .
Colt looks the best,S&W feels the best,Springfield Omega is the most accurate but heavy,the Glock has the higest Capacity,but you need to have big hands and be able to get used to a striker fired trigger feel and the Weight of itwith a full mag .
In the end you and you alone can pick the best for you . If it is any help Uncle Ted hunts with a 6 inch barreled Glock 20.

Last edited:

Keg

Thank Yall........I want one for hunting purposes(hog hunting).........
I have a 1911 45 auto and 2 44 mag wheelguns.........I like my 1911 and thought it would be cool to have one in 10 mm for full power loads........

Jimmy10mm

I had a Delta Elite which I kick myself for selling some years ago. I have a '91 Gold Cup Elite in blue which was only made the one year (in blue) and I like it a lot. Here is an article which addresses the frame cracking on Colt Deltas.

Brian48

I've had this DE since '94. Other than swapping out the grips and the rather sloppy trigger that came with it, it's pretty much stock. Still one of my favorite guns.

delta_elite.jpg

gmarr

Have a Dan Wesson Razorback, stainless, in 10mm. Love the caliber especially in the 1911 platform. Had the gun over 5 years now, reliable, accurate, and very smooth.

I've shot weights of 135, 155, 165, 175, 180 and 200 grain loads. The most consistant, velocity and accurate, has been the Winchester 175 Silvertip. The best expanding has been the Cor Bon 155 DPX. Can't go wrong with a 1911 in 10mm. Actually, I'm looking for a Delta Elite to keep in the truck.

bamaranger

tried

Colt Delta's don't last long around here. Meaning, one goes up for sale and its gone! I've had a buddy that buys and swaps, ALOT and has had several Delta's that go in a blink.

I answered an add on a Delta, got the guys address, showed up at his house, he'd sold it in the interim of a couple of hours. He produced a Glock 20, for the same price, with 4 hi caps during the evil hi-cap days, and I bought it.

So no Delta comments, but the 10mm is a dandy round as long as your a reloader and can keep one fed.

Old Wanderer

I started with a Glock 20c then a G29, but it was the Kimber Target II SS that I really fell in love with.

With DT ammo (135 gr 1600 fps) it just eats the heart out of targets really quickly.

I carry it when ever I am going to ugly parts of town, otherwise it is my Kimber Ultra 45 that I have.

MLeake

I have a Fusion 10mm Classic Hunter Longslide I like well enough that I'm ordering a Fusion 10mm bobtail commander kit as a companion piece. The Longslide also sports a bobtail. I find bobtails more comfortable to shoot, and much easier to conceal, so all my 1911's are bobbed.

COSteve

For hot 10mm, I think that the 1911 platform with it's steel frame is not the best choice as the transferred recoil impulse is harsh (solid frame), barrel flip is strong (higher bore axis), and frame battering / slide cracking is more likely due to the rigid frame. For my 10mm, I went with a Glock as the polymer frame flexes and soaks up the sharp recoil impulse even though a std Glock 20 weighs 11 oz less than a 5" steel 1911 empty and holds 90% more 10mm ammo (15+1 vs 8+1).

For a real kick, try a longslide conversion from Lone Wolf. I developed the G20L in 2004 / 2005 and it's the basis for JR's G20 longslide. After well over 9,000 hot 10mm rounds, it's still a ton of fun to shoot. It's surprisingly comfortable to shoot as even 200rd range sessions aren't hard on the hand or wrist. And again, it weighs 11 oz less than a longslide 1911 (w/o the magwell).

In addition, the 10mm really comes alive in a 6" barrel as I've chrono's my 165grn Speer GD handloads at 1,503fps and that's producing 827lb/ft of muzzle energy with surprisingly mild felt recoil the the Glock platform.

My original late 2004 configuration with 15+1 capacity:

CustomG20L.jpg

An interim update with thinner Dawson FO front sight and internal mods:

3-DawsonSight.jpg

Updated in 2008 to a hard chromed slide and magwell with 17+1 rounds on board:

100_0260.jpg

Peter M. Eick

baer_razor_target.jpg

baer_razor.jpg

I like my two quite a lot. Especially my Les Baer 10mm HWML. It is a one of a kind 1.5" custom build for me. The DW RZ is also custom to me and I had it spec built just to the way I like it.

mags.jpg

I even suggested that we serial number the mags to the gun. I have 8 mags just like this.

Now, I shoot a lot of normal pressure 10mm's in mine and have no problems but I don't go nuclear in 1911's. I save that for the 610 or the Contender.