Things that go "boom" in the night...

Bogie

Okay, around midnight, something went "boom" in the neighborhood - I'm currently living in a small subdivision of maybe 45-50 houses in a little town in Missouri that has two bars and two churches...

Now, I'm a 1990s Knob Creek veteran. I've heard some GOOD fireworks in my day... And I thought this was a large motor vehicle accident, or a pretty good sized explosive device. It was loud enough to wake Jen (after sleeping pills, etc., and with her hearing aids out).

So, thinking about the first, I pocketed the house gun of the week, and headed for the door. I turned off the living room light, and the porch light was already off. I told Jen to leave the lights off, and opened the door right when she turned on the living room light. A few seconds later, the porch light came on.

Sheesh.

Now, I'm a "night" person. So this mildly irritated me... Nobody outside in the yard tho, so I mosey across the road to a neighbor's place - they're standing in the door. They think that some of the other neighbors were playing "hold my beer and watch me do this." About 20 minutes later, the local po-po arrived, and had a talking to with the rowdy bunch, who didn't know nothin' about nothin'...

During this, Jen explains to me that the lights scare people off. Great theory. But it's a lot easier to see your surroundings when you're not in the middle of them. And I can't shake her on it.

And she commences to freak out until about 2:00...

Smokey Joe

Helping the helpful...

Bogie--You know she's gonna do it. You've talked with her, and she is unshakable. But you're the one who, potentially would be "caught in the headlights," so to speak.

If it were me, and the occasion came up again, I'd pause on the porch, reach up, and give the porch-light bulb half-a-turn counter-clockwise. Then go about my business dealing with the potential emergency.

It's your *, so you get to make the call on that one, IMHO.

Of course, you put the light bulb back to rights after the incident is over. :D

dev_null

I don't know about your subdivision, but around here this time of year a boom is most likely to be a power company fuse blowing.

MLeake

In my parent's neighborhood...

... past booms have involved opossum, squirrel, or raccoon encounters with transformers.

Bogie

Yeah, I've witnessed those - didn't really sound like a transformer... It was a nice really deep boom - with some force behind it. Which is why I thought someone had had a truck accident of some sort...

K-Minus

Had a transformer get struck by lighting a few years back.That was BOOM I will never forget.I thought someone fired off and M1A2 Abrams next to the house!

brmfan

We've heard several rifle shots at 2 & 3am in the woods & fields behind our house where there are lots of deer. We just assume it's fools out jacking said deer.

BillCA

We occasionally get loud booms around here too. Sometimes it's gunfire, sometimes a transformer going up.

What I've learned to do is, first, dial 911 and report the loud boom. You may be the first. If not, your report may help them determine an area to search.

+1 on pocketing something before exiting the house.
Tell the wife to keep the lights off so you can see any fire or smoke in the distance. If she won't listen to that and you've already told her that the lights make you a dandy target for anyone next door, then unscrew the bulb if you can.

I try to keep a low & quiet profile and observe the area before walking toward the street. I've been surprised before - not fun.

About four years ago, during a very hot summer night, the transformer in an underground vault next door blew out around 10:30pm. Shook the house like a truck hitting it. Had the FD come out to take care of the smoke. It took the power company 6.5 hours to replace it too.

B. Lahey

Had a transformer get struck by lighting a few years back.That was BOOM I will never forget.I thought someone fired off and M1A2 Abrams next to the house!

Same thing happened by my house one time. HOLY CRAP WHAT WAS THAT?!?!?!:eek:

It was pretty impressive.

When I lived in Chicago, I heard a loud boom one stormy night and wrote it off as a nearby lightning strike (as did the rest of the neighborhood, apparently). The next morning the supermarket just down the street found their safe blown open.

I don't think they ever caught those guys, I was watching the news with interest and never heard anything else about it. Fairly crafty, they picked a good night to do it, lots of thunder.

Uncle Billy

I had a friend named Kenny, whose hobbies usually made very loud noises. He worked in a garage/gas station (it was a long time ago) so there was present a wonderful source of big noise- an oxy-acetylene cart. Ken would light the torch and adjust it until it was very smoky. Then he'd rub the tip on the floor until the flame went out, then quickly hold a condom over the hissing tip. When the condom was inflated, he'd shut off the torch valves, tie the condom shut, and tape a cherry bomb to the side of the condom/balloon. A lit cigarette, impaled on the cherry bomb fuse just above the filter and set so the ash falls away from the condom, will take about 6 to 8 minutes to burn down and light the fuse, which is enough time to get to safety. The resulting boom was heard for a half mile in every direction, and only a little piece of duct tape remains. The neighborhood got sort of used to this; Kenny was everybody's friend and would go out of his way to help anyone who needed what he could do.

The point of all this is: There are people out there that like explosions and other such loud noises, who find mischief at night, but have no intention to hurt anyone.

It seems to me that in order to enhance the efforts of the police that are responding, having all the lights on is a good idea. Coming across someone who's armed, and in the dark, could be an unnecessary distraction, and I'm not sure taking on stealth principles when it's not clear what the situation is would be my choice of response. I'd stay in the house and put as much light as I was able on the property adjacent to the house. In fact, I've set my house and property up with that in mind. I can keep an eye on all the access routes and actual entry points to the house; all are well lit with lights that shine outwards from the house or are shaded such that the house is in the shadows and anyone approaching has them full in their face. Inside the house I can carry any weapon that's legal, for any reason, and if it becomes necessary to actually involve it, that will happen because someone gained unauthorized entry into my home which sets up a much better legal picture for me than prowling my yard or the neighborhood with a weapon. In short, if I don't know what's happening, but something is going on that might be a threat, I hunker down behind my defenses (so to speak) and wait it out until those whose job it is sort it out. I can stay out of trouble and danger much better doing that, than going out with a weapon into a situation I have no understanding of.

Just my $.02

ZeSpectre

past booms have involved opossum, squirrel, or raccoon encounters with transformers.

Heh, that was my first thought as well. We live near a power sub-station and last spring when the raccoons got "frisky" a couple of them "frisked" somewhere conductive and BOOOOOM (along with a beautiful electrical arc noise).

As for the lights thing, I'm with Bogie. I like to get a "stealth look" at what's going on before I announce my presence and if my wife ever silhouetted me in the door like that I'd have a FIT! :mad:

Pbearperry

Heres my scenerio.Two AM,I hear a loud boom.I get a gun ready as the wife calls 911.I sit tight in the dark with a powerful flashlight and my gun just in case.No way am I arming myself to go outside and look for the boomers.Let the cops do it.Thats what they get paid for.But then again that's just me.

No way am I arming myself to go outside and look for the boomers. Let the cops do it. Thats what they get paid for. But then again that's just me.

And me!

I also heard a midnight "boom" (unmistakable gunshot, in my case) in my neighborhood a few weeks ago. I immediately grabbed my HD firearm, dialed 911 to report it - then waited quietly, listening intently, in my house away from windows but with easy access to various exits. Apparently EVERYONE in the neighborhood also called the police at the same time, and then we all started phoning one another for updates. The source of the shot was never confirmed, but the police did more than I could have done to locate it, and I got to stay safe and locked up tight.

Not commenting on the prudence of either option, just making sure my tax dollars get put to use before I place myself in a sticky situation voluntarily. :p

Avenger

I live down the road from a transformer farm, and hear those things blow on a semi-regular basis. The really impressive ones bounce you out of bed and provide a nice "rattle-rattle" of shrapnel on the roof.....