Things that came before the 1911

C7AR15

I was wondering "how many machines , like the 1911 Pistol have been around for 100+ years in a virtually unchanged configuration".

It is really incredible to have a handgun that is 105 years old and still in active use. Thank You J.M. Browning.

The Zippo lighter was invented in 1932, Fisher Space pen 1962 and the Adjustable wrench 1891.
Ah, but I digress.
Any other guns that are unchanged in over 100 years???

9x45

single action wheel guns... This one is a conversion

87_118_36detail1.jpg

kozak6

The Browning Auto 5 missed it by a couple years.

Zastava still makes Mausers, but in a sporting configuration.

g.willikers

The Luger seems to have come and go a few times since it was first invented.
Isn't the Colt 1903 or something similar back in production, now?
How about all the lever action rifles?
And pump shotguns must be pretty close to being that old, too.
How about the Gatlin Gun?

carguychris

A minor fast-forward to 1917 and S&W started using the same basic double-action revolver lockwork they're using today, with the notable exception of a couple of differing hammer block designs, the 1950s adoption of coil mainsprings in small-frame models (leaf springs are still used in medium and large frames), and the more recent adoption of full-floating firing pins on centerfire models.

The Colt Lightning double action revolver came out in 1877. Colt no longer makes revolvers, but double action revolvers are certainly still around.

dogtown tom

C7AR15 ....Any other guns that are unchanged in over 100 years???
Winchester Model 94 hasn't skipped a beat.
Other than the name on the barrel, nearly every single action revolver is essentially the same as what Colt made in 1873.

JohnKSa

Administrator
IMO, since the development of the self-contained metallic cartridge and smokeless powder, the changes in the firearm world have been incremental, rather than revolutionary.

There are a number of 100+ year old firearm designs that are still widely manufactured, sold and used with only relatively minor design changes.

44 AMP

Staff
Off the top of my head, I can't think of ANY firearms designs more than 100 years old and still in production that haven't been changed, at least a little bit since their original introduction.

Including the 1911. (and I am making the distinction between current production models and models that are direct intentional reproductions of original models)

Walk into a gunstore and try to buy a new1911 pistol. You can't. What you see are 1911A1s. (remember my exception here, you can get a reproduction 1911, made AS SUCH, but its not the "regular" pistol the company makes.

Guns evolve, over time, the makers change things, to make improvements, real or imagined. Even the SA Colt has had a number of changes over the years. If it is a good design, most of the changes are small ones, but they are changes.

Classic pre1900 lever guns now have safeties. Black powder era guns, even when the original design is faithfully reproduced are today made from modern steel alloys (generally).

Some variants of the Mauser 98 bolt action are still in production, in both civilian and military trim.

I'm sure there are others, where the general design is still in production, but the exact gun as originally made, is not.

RickB

I think there are probably more guns that have been around without major changes, than just about any other kind of machine.
Until there's a change in ammo, guns aren't really going to change much beyond refinements to the materials.

Slamfire

This has been around a while.

So have these:

This is an original, but there are copies. The Gravely and Wrecks Bowie dates around the 1830's.

This basic design dates from the 1630's. I have no idea how long corkscrews have been around

This Froe, must be thousands of years old.

SIGSHR

IIRC the Colt Python/Official Police dates to 1908, then we have the Mauser action from 1898. How many Mosin-Nagant rifles-first adopted in 1891-are there out there ? No longer in production but so many millions made that they are easy to obtain.

PawPaw

Aguila Blanca said:
Colt no longer makes revolvers, but double action revolvers are certainly still around.
Sure they do. LINKY!!

With a base price of about $1500.00, you too can own a brand new Colt SAA.

They are still very desirable, and from what I've seen in the market lately, unless you're willing to pay a premium over MSRP, you're looking at about a year wait between the time you order the revolver and the time you take delivery.

Most of us shoot clones, but I'm always on the lookout in the pawnshops for nice SAA examples, especially if the pawn shop owner doesn't know what he's got.

C7AR15

Machines only

Has to be a machine with moving parts. So any firearm over 100 years old.

Nobody has mentioned the LEVER or the WHEEL, so don't. ;)

PS: Look up John M. Browning on Wikipedia. He must have been an Alien, he designed sooooo many guns under soooo many different labels. And so many of these guns and patents are still used today. He died in 1926.

kozak6

Only 3 more years for the M-2 Heavy Machinegun and it is still actively serving today

There was a news article a while back where one from the first production run in the 1920's turned up for refurbishing and quick change barrel installation.

Not only is the original design mostly unchanged, but the originals themselves are still in active service!