Things needed to buy a handgun in cali?

TwoGuns

Hi, recently my dad found a Colt Series 80 that he wanted to buy, but it was in Nevada, and we're in California, so we needed to transfer it. My dad asked a friend to ask his gun shop about it, and his friend told him that he would need a hunting license. This is contrary to what I've heard that you can just take the Basic Firearms Safety Certificate, in the store, in a couple of minutes. So then my dad went to a different gun store, and asked him. The guy in the gun store said that he wouldn't let him take the test in the store, and that he should just get a hunting license. Can anyone clear this up?

J

Jeff, CA

You'll need one of:

hunting license, basic firearms safety certificate, honorable discharge, LEO, maybe one or two more.

You can take the BFSC test right there in the store - I did. You can do it one of two ways: read a little book, kind of like the driver's license test book, and take a multiple-guess test, or watch a video and take the test. 20 questions or so, basic safety stuff like "how do you check if an autoloader is loaded?" You only have to take this once.

It takes the gun store guy a few minutes and some paperwork (he has to grade it); sounds like these guys were just too lazy to do it.

Getting a hunting license (for the first time) in CA requires you to sit through a class on a Saturday with a guy from Fish & Game who doesn't want to be there any more than you do, and then you take a similarly simple test (gun safety plus hunting law/ethics). To renew, just show them the old one.