Thin Vaquero Grips

Shadi Khalil

Hello all,

I'm looking for some thin and smooth wood grips for my New Vaquero. Something the same size as the stock grips would be perfect. I have a pair Altamont grips that add a bit of swell and while they are more comfortable, I shoot better with the stock sized grips. My problem with the stock grips is the checkering, it's not terribly bad but could be better. I'd like to keep them under $100 as I just got wiped out with Christmas shopping.

Thanks.

Shadi Khalil

Thanks Laz. I've owned a pair of J-frame eagle CIA grips and they were excellent. I didn't consider them for single action but they have a nice selection.

Oops, I ment to say secret service grips

Last edited:

gak

+1 Gunfighters. In the interim(and for a nice "field/working" grip anyway), you can tame the factory checkered grips with some 00 and 000 wool smoothing (some even use fine sanding if wanting more)--knocking the aggressive points down to size. With just a few rigorous minutes each, they end up about how they should have been and still look new but without the plasticky sheen. The Gunfighters are a bit slim even for my small hands, but I switch off between some nice custom woods and the stock grips (with the above treatment), depending on what I'm doing.

Shadi Khalil

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like it will be a pair of eagles. I also may give a try to the sanding of the stock grips as they are cheap and easily replaceable if it screw them up.

Happy New Year Everyone.

tlm225

Another recommendation on the Eagle Gunfighter grips. I added a set to my Blackhawk .45. I did have to send in the grip grame to the factory to have the grips fitted because there was a bit of overhang on the backstrap as purchased. It now fits my hand much better.

gak

Shadi Khalil said:
I also may give a try to the sanding of the stock grips as they are cheap and easily replaceable if it screw them up.

I actually find it easier to do this on the gun...to get a grip on things, so to speak. Carefully mask off the metal but--if you care--also the already smooth grip edges. Gives your end result a more refined "I didn't do anything to them" look. If you're pretty exacting, this is about a 10 minute exercise. Over a wastebasket, hit the entire remaining grip area pretty vigorously for a few minutes with 00, moving on to 000 as an extra refinement-- but you may find it unnecessary. You'll be surprised how much "rubber dust" is in the wastebasket. I was pretty conservative and typically have taken mine (several) down only enough to knock off the sharp points of the checkering. This also "exposes" the material a bit more to reveal a more "hard rubber, "less cheap plastic feel...as I said, as it should have been new. Ruger is not alone with the harsh checkering. USFAs too can benefit from this exercise. While "antiquing" my Rodeo, my smith smoothed the grips down even further than my process, using sandpaper (fairly fine grit IIRC, carefully in stages) from the start--to ultimately match the "aging" of the rest of the gun. (If you use the steel wool long enough, you'd probably get the same results). Stellar job. The objective (to me) is to not eliminate the checkering, just usefully tone it down, still leaving them looking great.

Can't find my NV pics and don't know how much you can tell with this low res pic, but here is a set of current spec Blackhawk grips on an early Vaquero--same basic grips as NVs except XR3 Red and different emblem--"sanded" down with wool. Still look "new," world of difference in feel.
_Xutf-8XBXL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZXJyeS9waWN0dXJlcy9JTUcwMjE0MS5qcGc_X_.jpg

Last edited:

Shadi Khalil

Gak,

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I'm usually weary of tinkering in any way shape or form but this is something I'm not afraid to try. As a testament to my unhandyness, I'll have to get some sandpaper first, as we have none in the house :) from what I can see in the pic, it looks like a good end result. I'll try and swing by the home depot tomorrow after work and get some sand paper. I'll post my results. Thanks again and happy new year to all.

gak

Shadi, just PM'd you but the jist was - I'd use or at least start with steel wool (00 and/or 000...but I'd say 00 if only one)--vs sandpaper--if you're a little reluctant. Will take more rubbing, but very hard to mess up...easier to work with/modulate.

Last edited:

bedbugbilly

GAK - thaks for your post on altering the original NV grips. I love my Rugers and I REALLY love my NV - my only complaint is the factory grips on which the checkering is too sharp. I'm going to give your "method" a try on them and hopefully that will take care of the problem. I have to admit, the Rosewood gunfighter grips do look nice though. Thanks for the post on what worked for you. :)

gak

Bedbugbilly and Shadi, I think the idea isn't (necessarily) in place of a nice set of wood grips if that's the main objective,...but, I've found smoothing the stock "hard rubbers" is a cheap and pretty easy interim solution -- either to buy you time to find/get a set of woods...or as a 2nd "free" set that's fine for field use. Pretty quick to change out a set of grips. And, you might just find you actually like them regardless.

Shadi Khalil

Well, I was hoping to try this out this week but I'll be working 8-9 all week :(

However, I will be heading to my in laws house in the country this weekend where I can sand down the grips then try them out on the range :) If I mess them up (and from reading Gak's excellent post and PM's it's pretty hard to) I have other wood grips that can go on. I really do like the plastic/rubber style grips and searched the Internet for something similar but to no avail.