they still ship sks rifles to the usa?

Technosavant

C&R rifles usually come over in gluts. When supplies are offered for sale and there's a big importation, they're all over. When the supply is gone, the only place to find them is in the hands of collectors who have already bought them.

It sure appears that the current supplies of SKS rifles have been exhausted. When I see new ones for sale in flyers, they seem to only be at one or two places, which tells me that there aren't enough for multiple importers to have bought large numbers. They still show up, but you aren't likely to see them in large numbers at gun shows anymore.

Dan The Sig Man

And the prices now days are HIGH... I remember back a few years ago you could get your hands on one for around $100, now I only see them for $300-$350, as he said, IF you can find them.

The prices might be high, but in Feb-March '08 on "GB" auctions, many list prices for Norincos were already about $270-300.
Today $300 does not seem so bad, if in the same very good condition, does it?

The recession might be keeping prices down in some areas.
The "Obama panic", after a few months, was proven to have no foundation, and was driven/promoted by sellers and scalpers.

Despite its lower price, the SKS will never be as chic and trendy as the AR.

Last edited:

Dan The Sig Man

I dont own the gun for chic or trendy... I like the gun because it is fairly accurate for me, and I can take it deer hunting and kill a deer at about 150-225. Plus, I just bought 300 rounds of ammo for it and paid $55. I have never owned nor shot an AR, which from what I can tell is VERY expensive to own. I will stick to the cheaper rifle that I can afford.

Technosavant

And the prices now days are HIGH... I remember back a few years ago you could get your hands on one for around $100, now I only see them for $300-$350, as he said, IF you can find them.

Keep in mind that 15-20 years ago the market was VERY different. $100 today won't buy as much of anything as it did in the early 90s, either.

I'd say that while the prices are higher than back then, I still don't consider $300 for a reliable and combat accurate autoloading rifle to be out of line. If you wanted to open a factory and make new ones, you'd likely not be able to sell them profitably for even double that.

riverwalker76

I haven't seen any for a really long time. I think the last SKS to come into the US that I remember were the Yugos.

I remember back in 1994 when Uncle Lee's in Central City, KY stated that they had them new in crates. I went down and bought 2 for $70 each in the wood crate ... original packing straw, manual in Chinese, and wooden box with Chinese markings. :p It's too bad I lost my taste for them in 2000 and sold them both for what I had in them! I'd really love to have one of them back. They were both consecutive rifles with all matching numbers. I remember to this day ... one was xxxxxx101, and the other was xxxxx102. All matching numbers on stock and receiver. ;) Gosh ... you just made me sentimental for a minute. :D

Those were the Golden Years ... the best of the lot. ;) We'll never see prices or rifles like those again ... ever. Today you can't find a used one that hasn't been bubba'd up ...much less one in New Condition with matching stock and receiver.

Dan The Sig Man

Well I am glad that I read that Post of yours. Cause that mean I am HOLDING on to mine. It is matching and it is in almost New Condition. My grandfather left it to me when he passed away in July. I am planning on using it a few times this year to hunt Hogs in Cali, and Deer in Georgia in December. I am however looking to made buy a new style stock for it, and keep the wooden on in a case, so it doesn't get messed up. I cant find out however what stocks are OK in California.

And yes you are right, I know that we will never see the prices we did years ago, but I would love to get my hands on another just like what I have now, That way when my son gets older he can have one of his own and experience what I do when I shoot it. I am going to give him my Grandpas, but I would love to get another one.

riverwalker76

Dan The Sig Man said:
Well I am glad that I read that Post of yours. Cause that mean I am HOLDING on to mine. It is matching and it is in almost New Condition. My grandfather left it to me when he passed away in July. I am planning on using it a few times this year to hunt Hogs in Cali, and Deer in Georgia in December. I am however looking to made buy a new style stock for it, and keep the wooden on in a case, so it doesn't get messed up. I cant find out however what stocks are OK in California.

And yes you are right, I know that we will never see the prices we did years ago, but I would love to get my hands on another just like what I have now, That way when my son gets older he can have one of his own and experience what I do when I shoot it. I am going to give him my Grandpas, but I would love to get another one.

The best thing you can do ... for your conscience sake .... clean it and put it in the back of the safe. Never sell it. I've sold 50 guns in my lifetime and haven't even thought back on them. It's these Chinese rifles I picked up that always haunts me. :eek: I can't get them out of my mind. :p

I've literally been looking for 2 years to replace the ones I sold. I have been to gun show after gun show. I even hit the pawn shops from time to time thinking maybe one will show up there. WHat I usually see almost makes me cry!!! Camo'd stocks, chopped up with all sorts of dings, and messed up bluing. On top of that ... everyone wants upwards from $300 for them! :eek:

Your best bet would be to never even consider selling it. If you do .... I've got dibs. :D

Dan The Sig Man

Naw I would never consider selling it just because it was my Grandpa's, he is the man that taught me to shoot and he is the man that was sitting next to me when I killed my first deer. I have seen a few links for a could websites that are selling Romy's, I know they are not the Chinese ones, but it is a SKS. I am working on getting my C&R License here in CA so that I can buy myself a couple, they are going for around $300.

Dan The Sig Man, that's a very good decision to keep it in original condition.

I've had my Norinco (first/only SKS) over two years and would not consider selling it. Other than more ammo, what other .30 caliber semi-auto rifle would the money buy, which uses lower-cost ammo?
This rifle has no sentimental value at all, but is simple, military-style (a critical factor), reliable, shoots affordable ammo
(AIM: $179/1,000 rds.) and always has its magazine.

The targets are in the mud or river at 50-150 feet and do not require an AR and fancy, glamorous (pricey) gear to shred, destroy them. Life is too short to be enslaved by fashion.

Last edited: