There can be only one! What S&W .357 Revolver would you choose?

WVsig

I am not a Revolver guy. I owned a Ruger GP100 at one time but sold it. Never really loved it. It was a tank and shot well I just never loved the trigger as much as some S&Ws I have shot. Shot a friends S&W the other day and got me thinking I should own at least one .357.

So lets here it! If you could have only one S&W in .357 what will it be? Trying to keep it around the $600 mark give or take. Missed out on the 586s at Top Gun. When you snooze you loose. :(

lamarw

I already have it. It is a S&W 686 and I bought it about two years ago for well under your posted limit.

It is only equaled or surpassed in my revolver collection by my S&W model 25 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. This not saying much since I only own three revolvers. :)

AK103K

If you could have only one S&W in .357 what will it be?
Thats an impossibility, isnt it? :)

If I "really" had to choose, probably a 19. I picked up two last year, a 2" ($450) and 4" ($400), and both were in great, almost new shape.

I also really like my 4" 28, and only paid $500 for it, and while used, it was basically NIB.

Ive had a couple of the 586/686's, and they were OK, but they just dont do it for me like the K frames. I have been lusting after one of the 2.5" 686 Plus models of late though.

I do have a 620, which is more along the lines of the 19's, in both feel and looks. Its a seven shooter, and I keep finding live rounds in the brass pile on the ground when Im done. I guess I missed a "6 shooter driver" somewhere in my memory. :D

CWKahrFan

Tough problem... In that price range, I have an ex cond. 6" 586 and a factory reconditioned/ reblued 4" Model 19 w/custom grips and at this time I simply could NOT choose one over the other so I guess I'm not gonna be any help at all... sorry.

Last edited:

AK103K

The same thing usually happens to me when I get it in my head I want something. All the time I could have cared less, they were plentiful and dirt cheap. :rolleyes:

Nick_C_S

I already own it. My 686 4" bbl, purchased new in 1986 for $349.

If I could only own one gun - not just revolver - this would be it.

bledsoeG19

I have a 19-4 6 inch barrel that I absolutely love. This would probably be seconded by a 586. 686's are nice, but there's just something about a blued revolver that does it for me. My 19 is nickel, that's the only thing I'd change about it.

redlevel42

I own a bunch of S&Ws, but only one S&W .357 magnum. It is a Model 19-3. It belonged to a local LEO back in the 70s. His meth-head son sold it to a local shop a few years ago, and I bought it. It looks like it was drug behind a truck, but for just a short distance. I doubt he fired it much except for required yearly qualifications. I paid $320 OTD about four years ago.

I am a huge S&W fan, but not really a big .357 magnum fan. I have owned Models 27, 28, and 19, but I always go back to the .38 specials, it seems.

dgludwig

I like them all and, fortunately, am not limited to one (I have everything from a Model 60 to a Model 1955 Target) but if I had to choose just one from my inventory, it would be a Model 686 plus. And the choice wouldn't be that difficult.

Deaf Smith

There can be only one! What S&W .357 Revolver would you choose?

attachment.php

But... hahaha.. Mine is a .44!

Add my Colt Combat Commander for carry and I guess that would do.

but if I have to have a .357..

attachment.php

My S&W 66-1 will do to!

Deaf

WVsig

I like them all and, fortunately, am not limited to one (I have everything from a Model 60 to a Model 1955 Target) but if I had to choose just one from my inventory, it would be a Model 686 plus. And the choice wouldn't be that difficult.

I am doing my best to not start another addiction. :eek:

Howdy

Well, I sure as heck would hang onto this Model 19-3 that I bought brand, spanky new back in 1975 for $125.

Model_19-2.jpg

I would keep this Model 27 too.

model27enhanced_zps80a6a2ab.jpg

This Model 28 is too nice to ever get rid of. It has a four inch brother that is camera shy.

Model28_02-1.jpg

Just picked up this Model 13 a few years ago.

model13-202-1.jpg

Bought this Model 65 for only about $195 about ten years ago. Sorry for the quality of the photo.

Model_65.jpg

Nope, I wouldn't get rid of any of them.