Theoretical handgun question.

Ding

What's the least number of parts a semiautomatic DA/SA handgun with a manual safety can have? I know the Makarov can do it in 27, but is it possible to have less parts than that?

RustyRP

why?

-is a gun with 18 parts better than a gun with 36?
-does fewer parts mean that you will have fewer parts breaking?
-does fewer parts mean more reliable?
-is less more?

let me put it another way - if they both cost you the same amount of money - would you take a Sten or a MP5?

ps - i dont think it had a manual safety (was it DAO?) but the old grendle 380 didnt have too many parts - anyone have an exploded diagram/pic?

time for some more coffee.

[Edited by RustyRP on 12-21-2000 at 10:26 AM]

Jeff OTMG

Rusty, let me try.
-is a gun with 18 parts better than a gun with 36?
Is it better? Maybe, maybe not. It would be less prone to breakage of parts and therefore more reliable ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL.

-does fewer parts mean that you will have fewer parts breaking?
Yes, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL.

-does fewer parts mean more reliable?
No. What if you had a gun with 10 parts and another with 100 parts that was on par with a fine Swiss watch. If the gun with 10 parts wouldn't feed or the firing pin was of such poor quality that it broke every 5 rounds and the other gun would feed anything and had a firing pin that would go 100,000 rounds then the statement would not be true, but all other things would not be equal

-is less more?
It can be.

With two guns of equal quality and functional reliablity, the gun with fewer parts would be less prone to breakage and therefore more mechanically reliable.