Then and Now (re-make of a poster)

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
illinois2_s.jpg

Larger

Older unsatisfactory image with the same caption
illinois_s.jpg

Not sure I've improved on it by much (might play with the text a bit).

I managed to produce a small Flash demo this weekend, perhaps I will be able to animate some graphics shortly. Does anyone have suggestions on sources of background music in digital format?

AnotherPundit

Oleg, I was looking over your site the other day, and I saw one poster that I think you could probably even turn into a series. . It had a caption that played on the phrase "An ounce of prevention." Just a series of images of crimes as background, with a few shotgun shells in the foreground and that caption . .a lot of possible variants.

WyldOne

i was kinda attached to having the year 1921 on it for some reason. we got the vote in 1920, i think it makes the notion of "progress" a bit more poignant.

but...i still like it. :)

ReverendHobo

Oleg, it's a great concept, but I initially got confused by the person in the lower left corner. She looks so theatrical, for a moment I thought, "this would be a great poster for a movie about gobblins."

I think people know what a grandmother looks like, and it needs no illustration. Also, in 1921 her grandmother looked like she does today, not like the person in the lower left corner. I think it would be cleaner to leave her off the poster altogether.

Also, the gun in the lower right corner is set off in a way to attract attention, but I am not sure if this is what the young woman is supposed to be using to protect herself with or against?

Honestly, I would probably just leave the young woman and the sign. Obviously you would need to work the word "gun" into the text in that case. It's kinda late at night, so my brain is running on empty, but maybe someone else... I'll try to come up with something tomorrow.

BTW, you're doing an outstanding work with these posters. Thank you.

citizen

Love the concept.
Adjust the text.
Rework the composition (and relative sizes).
(Then) It's a Winner!!! :cool:

(Whaddya mean we can't tell the artist how to work?!!!!!*#?)

Jim V

Oleg, the new version is much better since I think that a Colt New Service would have been much more common in Illinois in '21 than the Negant. At least, I'd rather have some one protected with a .45 Colt New Service than a .32 Negant.

FWIW and all that.

nualle

I like the newer one better but I've got a couple of ideas:

The grandmother pic and the holstered gun pic are balanced against each other but they look just dropped in -- laid atop the poster, not integral to it.

Also... it would be grand if you could find a vintage photo, circa 1920, of a woman just about the age of the modern one, and carrying a gun unselfconsciously in a comfortable, casual pose. I dunno about y'all, but both my grandmothers were 4 in 1920 (I'm 34 now), so an old woman in 1920-era clothing would be more generations back.

SteelyDan

Whew! I whipped thru the photos the first time and misidentified them. And I really liked the one I mistakenly identified as the "older" one better. Which led to the dilemma of whether or not to offer up a semi- apologetic post on constructive criticism and so forth, which I decided in the affirmative. Fortunately, I double-checked, and I like your version more.

Still have one thought, which I assume you've already considered. The girl in your photo looks about 17. By implication, the argument seems to be that minors should be permitted to carry. If that is the focus of your pitch (which, personally, I'd have a hard time getting behind), I think it's an effective photo. But if your focus is pro-CCW generally, I'd pick an older model -- a slightly attractive, semi-professional, woman. Maybe in a domestic setting, maybe with a couple of kids playing in the background.

Or, if I missed the point entirely, please permit me to offer up a lame "never mind," and crawl away to look for a beer.