Theft Prevention Of Mail Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

44caliberkid

I received a new barrel today from a well known barrel maker. The return address said "Trailer Axels" because this maker has experienced so much loss due to theft in shipping. He can't put the real name of his company on the package.
Some time back I ordered a complete Glock slide from a company that sells a lot of them. He was sending them USPS. The first one disappeared. He sent me another and said he quit using the post office. I told him I was a 28 year postal employee and someone at his local office knew what he was sending and stealing them. Tell the postal inspectors to start there. I also told him to just use company initials for his return address.
A friend who is a career UPS employee said a lot of guns get stolen there too.

44 AMP

Staff
Theft during shipment has been a problem for a long time. I note that when money (actual physical cash) is shipped, there are always armed guards, and usually armored cars involved...

I forget the year, might have been 68 with the gun control act, which required firearms being shipped to be labeled as Firearms in red letter a few inches high...

something like a million dollars worth of Winchesters was stolen from loading docks in the Chicago area alone, the year after that regulation went into effect...

about all you can do is insure the shipment for full replacement value. That's why they sell it.

You can label it "Granny's waffle stomper" and maybe the guy looking to steal a gun or gun parts will pass it up. But maybe you'll run afoul of the guy looking to steel waffle stomper parts....Roll the dice, take your chances.

Buy insurance (you, or the shipper) or take your chances, its sad, but its the way the world works.

stephen426

I am amazed at the stuff that gets shipped via UPS and FedEx. I know valuable items are almost always insured, but jewelry and high end watches are shipped all the time. I believe that most shipper abbreviate their name to make themselves less of a target for theft. I'm not sure how packages getting sent to high end jewelry stores don't get "lost" all the time.

peterg7

With tracking one would think prosecutions are a cinch, maybe theft is something shipping companies are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.