Theater Firearms - need help (IN)

Keith_Yorktown

The theater group my wife is associated with is putting on a production in a few weeks. They need a small revolver, preferably nickel plated looking, that can fire. The other option, which I do not endorse, is using blank ammunition in a real revolver that I own.

I've found a few sources where we can rent or buy blank firing revolvers. http://www.iar-arms.com/ http://members.tripod.com/~ForteStage/blankfir.htm If you happen to know of any other sources please feel free to post them.

What I need help with is how to train an actress who is described as "freaking out" about having to use a gun. I'll also need to instruct the prop manager of any special instructions to follow regarding the ammo, and revolver.

I was planning on first obtaining the blank firing gun, and testing it out at the range. Then familiarizing the actress with the gun, sanes ammo at first. Then taking her to the gun range to get familiar with firing the weapon.

Any suggestions would be helpful at this point.

If a local NRA instructor would like to help, I am certain you would get mention in the shows program.

Thanks...
Keith

Zundfolge

I would probably go with a real revolver loaded with blanks, but I would also demand that I be made "Assistant Prop Manager in charge of firearms" and except for the time when the gun is being used on stage it would be in my possession (and locked in its case).

I would take the actress to the range to familiarize her with the gun (or better yet have your wife do it if she's up to the task).

Have her fire the revolver both with blanks and bullets (who knows you might just convert an anti ;) ).

Also check with the local PD to find out if its legal for discharge of a firearm in a theatrical production (or if it requires any special permits). If its a small theater house I'd think that blanks would be too loud (unless there are "theatrical blanks" that won't bust eardrums).

C.R.Sam

Blanks can do harm to and in the hands of the non proficient.
So can starter pistols.

Suggest having a knowledgeable person generate the sound from the wings on cue.

Sam

Keith_Yorktown

Yeah, the safety and liability issues are what worry me. After all, Brandon Lees death was at the hands of a gun firing blanks. Something was lodged in the barrel if I remember correctly.

Firing blanks off stage is another option we are considering.

The production is outside so the loudness shouldn't be a problem. I've already advised the director to contact the PD since they are in the same square as the outdoor stage.

Thanks again...
Keith

Justin

Also, you should never, ever discharge blanks at a person who is less than 15 feet from the prop gun. There's lots of particulate matter that comes flying out of the barrel of a blank gun, and it's going pretty fast.
IIRC, there was an actor in NY who died when he discharged a blank-firing weapon at his head. (This was a contact shot, but serves to illustrate that blanks can still be dangerous.)

You might also consider using an airsoft gun.

B24H

Try looking at NEF (New England Firearms) starter pistols, you can get them much cheaper from some of the hunting dog training sites (the track and field sites have prices, for some reason, 50% more). They have a solid barrel so there's a greatly reduced chance of injury. The .32 blank firing model is much louder.

HankB

The other option, which I do not endorse, is using blank ammunition in a real revolver that I own.
You're wise to not endorse this route, but I'd go further - IMHO that is not an option at all. In a small-time theater production, NO WAY IN H*LL WOULD I PROVIDE A REAL GUN!

The blanks that real firearms shoot can be potentially harmful at a surprising distance, and deadly at contact distance. Who's to say some ignorant person won't suddenly do something stupid, like hold it to his/her head and pull the trigger? That's what happened to Darwin award winner John Eric Hexum, who held a gun loaded with a blank to his head and pulled the trigger, punching a quarter-sized piece of his skull deep into what passed for a brain in his head.

Even if there were to be no criminal culpability, if you were the one who provided the gun, think of the liability issues! And if the wadding struck someone on stage or in the audience in the eye . . . :eek:

A blank-firing revolver - usually known as a "starter" pistol - would be far preferable. These usually use crimped rimfire blanks, which are far less dangerous than blanks made for cartridge firearms. Spray paint it silver if you must, but I recommend in the strongest possible terms AGAINST providing a "real" gun.

Radicalcleric

An empty casing with a primer makes a pretty good blank and there is no material projected from the barrel. Still dangerous at very close range, say five feet or less.

KSFreeman

Haven't a couple of actors shot themselves with "blank" weapons? Late `80s Jennifer O'Neil shot herself with a blank pistol trying to check if it was loaded.:rolleyes: [TFL chorus: of course it's loaded, Rule #1!!!]

Eez gon; eez not safe--blank gun or not!!!

snubby

How about a simple cap gun, like we used to use when playing "cowboys and indians?" These are cheap and safe-- should be loud enough for your purposes. And there's no way you'll end up firing a live round using one!

Nanaimo Barr

best to make the shot sound off stage. a decent boombox and a recorded gunshot would be much safer and you don't have to worry about freeking actresses. (try and work the boombox under a table etc with a cord you can plug in and unplug, cue tape to gunshot, unplug, press play, when you need the shot, plug in cord, hear shot. unplug) demand proper training for her though. good chance to show a lot of people what safe gun owners are like, be loud about it. other than that, no mater what you get do not turn it over to anyone but the actress just before she needs it and get it off stage and into a lock box as soon as possible. do NOT let some prop master who doesn't have a clue or anyone else get his/her hands on it. Actors like to play with guns. demand that you and only you be the cast Armourer. give her a toy cap gun with a bright orange tip for rehersal.

(way to many years working behind the sceens in drama groups)

DWS

After having worked as a professional stagehand for 9 years I must echo some of the previous posters. For a small venue recorded fire is the best route. As stated even starter pistols can hurt ears in a small space. Worst case we have done was to have a stagehand outside or in a back room with a microphone. That was for a "dedicated (also read dumb)" director.

I have worked many productions involving firearms. In the larger houses it was no problem. For Miss Saigon we used 18 M-16's, 14 AK-47's, and 20 or more 1911. all firing blanks, but that was a very large 3000 seat house.

Recording is probably the best way to go. With todays sound editing technology it isn't hard to make a pellet gun sound like a .45

Break a Leg

tombread

Get a prop gun-- a dummy and paint it silver if you must, even a cap gun-- and have a stagehand fire a starter gun offstage. This would be easier than coordinating a tape cue, though the sound wouldn't resonate as much as a pre-recording report.

Desertdog

Never use a real firearm

We had a case of using a real pistol with home made blanks that killed the star during rehearsals.
They had taken and pulled the leads out of real bullets and had left a small amount of lead in the casing. This iwas a case of total stupidity,
The wadding of blanks is as deadly as a live shell at close range.

viper_IRIGHTI

Prop guns- USE CO2 PELLET GUN

I would go to http://www.crosman.com/product and get a C02 pellet gun model of a S&W .357 which you can get in a nickle plated version. Load it up a w/ a C02 powerlett and fire away. Of course don't load it w/ pellets, just shoot it blank. A fresh cartridge can make a good bang.