The Zen of shooting: What we already knew

jimpeel

This from the Washington Times. It seems that they have "discovered" what we in the shooting sports have known for a long, long time. The Times piece is a synopsis of the CBS article.

SYNOPSIS SOURCE

CBS NEWS SOURCE

Women finding 'Zen-like' peace at firing range

by: CBS News
Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The face of the American gun owner is changing. More women than ever are picking up rifles, shotguns, and handguns. And target shooting is one of the fastest-growing female sports. ...

Female participation in target shooting in the U.S. has nearly doubled in the last decade, growing to nearly five million women since 2001.

<more>

The one picture of the woman with the pistol up to her ear with her finger on the trigger is a bit bothersome.

Last edited:

Glenn E. Meyer

It's funny but what on the surface seem antigun media come out with positive articles about folks shooting. Happens the NY Times and on NPR (although they are fairer than the NY Times by far).

Coyote WT

Women aren't the only ones. To some it may sound counter intuitive but I find my best anger management is an hour at the range with my .45 XD. Not because it "blows off steam" but because once I have the pistol in my hand I MUST focus on the here and now. What ever was bothering me has to take a back seat and wait for me to relax to a point where I can deal with it more rationally than emotionally. Happiness really can be a warm gun.

Skadoosh

CBS News has been hot on the trail of the Fast and Furious debacle also. Could be that we have a friend in the media outlets.

Mike38

Happens to me. While at the range, nothing else matters. Minor family woes, job stress, politics, economy, none of it matters. 3 or 4 hours at the range and I am the nicest, easiest going person you could ever meet. A few weeks later, and it’s time to go back to the range for more “therapy”.

Technosavant

The one picture of the woman with the pistol up to her ear with her finger on the trigger is a bit bothersome.

I think that's a Kahr ad (didn't watch the video)... it's the model they tend to use and looked like their "Thin is Sexy" motto as well.

Interesting (if short) article- it points out that shooting is one of yet many other recreations where concentration and discipline are vital to good performance. As such, it can help clear the mind and relieve stress (and that's ignoring any of the violence overtones... a suppressed .22 has precious little sound and fury, but you still need to concentrate and focus).

blume357

It's always amazing how we as humans can't quite retain knowledge or at least seem to want to constantly rediscover it...

has anyone read "Zen and the Art of Archery"?