The yooper... NFA???

David Hineline

black powder muzzle loaders are not firearms and unregulated, unless you use a modern ignition system. That looks like a nipple/cap combination so not a firearm.

Skans

That's right - black powder rifles are not under the NFA. But, even if they were, I'm not sure what would cause that garage built gun to be regulated anyway - barrel looked long enough.

FWIW, someone was making a black powder pen gun - I almost bought one just for the novelty of it - I doubt that it takes any longer to reload than one of the regulated pen guns. Yeah, I know - they have no practical purpose, but then again neither does 90% of the junk that I own.

Willie Lowman

Modern ignition = primers.

Anyone can buy a cap and ball gun. A modern 209 inline muzzle loader is considered a modern rifle and subject to more controls.

rantingredneck

Not federally. Not unless something has changed dramatically in the last couple years.

State law may have some bearing on those in certain states, but here I can still buy them mail order direct to my door and walk out of a shop with one with no 4473 filled out.

Again, unless something has changed in the year or so since I did this last.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
A modern 209 inline muzzle loader is considered a modern rifle and subject to more controls.
ERROR!!!

Walk into my el Marto Del Wal, grab a modern 209 fired ML off the shelf (not in the gun case), march to the register and flop down the cash. If you have gray hair, no id will even be asked for!;)
Brent

Willie Lowman

Ummm...

Oh, duh. My only inline was a Thompson/Center Encore. They are regular rifles. Mine just had a .50 caliber, 209 primer, muzzle loader barrel on it.

I was thinking muzzle loader the ATF was thinking multi-caliber rifle.

Thanks Hogdogs.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I think this is my next gun! Doubt I would ever deer hunt with it but would be fun to have on a "tackycool" sling at my cookouts!:D
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
DL, Naw... I like the look with them hi-tek GR sights!;) Will have to work on my reload speed to get the maximum R.O.F. from the bugger though... Gonna need one of them wet sponge thingys too to avoid a "kaboom" when I rod the charge, right?
Brent

davlandrum

HD - but it won't be tactycull enough without a flashlight and laser attached.

Of course, you could secure them to it with duct tape...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
4IS, YEPPER I SURE DID!!! That quote was funny to me but I am surprised he didn't address the attributes of that wonderful "positive disconnect trigger system"...
Brent