The wife's gun

Yung.gunr

Hey everyone,
I'm not a big revolver guy, I'm more of a semi-auto guy myself. But, my wife is insistent that she only wants a revolver. We were thinking about a .357 so she could also shoot .38 specials. But, after talking with her she wants if for just a fun range toy. She has a shotgun that she is more comfortable with for HD. She thinks that perhaps eventually she would carry it. I'm thinking a .22lr with an additional .22 mag cylinder would be a good way to go. Not too keen on her relying on a .22 mag for protection, but I guess it's better then nothing.

So far from what I can see as far as new guns go we are looking at the following.
Heritage Rough Rider
EAA Bounty Hunter

I understand the Heritage is not the best, but is ok for her range fun? Any suggestions on some other revolvers in our pretty low price range?

Or maybe a used one would be in our price range....

BBroadside

I hope someone will come by and recommend for or against a North American Mini-Master. Adjustable sights, 4-inch barrel, interchangeable 5-shot cylinders in .22 LR and .22 WMR.

They sound fun, and they're more concealable than the average 4-incher, but I don't know if the removable cylinder reloading is more labor-intensive than you'd want in a fun gun. I am thinking of getting a Black Widow for cheap-ammo fun, and as a backup concealable.

If the Heritage doesn't seem high enough quality, look at the Ruger Bearcat.

maxman894

I have a Heritage with the .22LR and .22mag cylinders. I really like it. Just make sure to keep it oiled really well.

TheNocturnus

I had a heritage rough rider and loved shooting it but it was very inaccurate. I had to adjust the fixed front sight just to get close to hitting what I was aiming at. I traded it shortly after I bought it. I did just pick up a 9 shot H&R Revolver Model 929. I love it and it was very inexpensive. If you can find one, they are great. They have 4 or five different .22lr models I believe. They went out of business in 1986. I believe they were purchased by Marlin or something and are now producing some guns again... I think.

Here's a pic: http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72334&d=1311998068

rclark

My heritage Rough rider is 'right on'. Shoots to point of aim and is very accurate in .22LR . No complaints here (other than the stupid safety).

That said, my wife just picked up a Ruger Bearcat at a gun show. We went and shot it yesterday. Shoots to POA and my wife really likes it.... No kick to speak off... Just a fun shooter.... Fits her hands better and as she says "It's cute" . :p . It is a much 'classier' revolver than the Rough Rider... but it does cost twice as much....

T. O'Heir

Hi. Save yourself a lot of grief and take her shopping. Forget your thoughts altogether. It's not for you. It has to fit her hand and she has like it. Not you.

aarondhgraham

Considera a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22,,,

The new Charter Arms is building very nice handguns,,,
A lady friend of mine has a 2" Undercover in .38,,,
And a 4" Target Pathfinder in .22 LR.

Both took some shooting but now the triggers are smooth and crisp.

Other than a used S&W which will definitely cost more,,,
These are about the only double-action .22 revolvers out there.

My lady friend is drop dead accurate with hers.

Aarond

oneounceload

IF CCW is also in the mix down the road, one of the guns in 327 Federal might be worth her taking a look at. From 32S&W, 32 S&WL, 32 H&R and the powerful 327 Federal, there is a power level for fun and training, and level for serious work if necessary - and if reload, 32 SWL can be reloaded almost as cheap as .22

Locoweed

Yes, take her to the gun store(s) and let her look over what's in stock. Let her make the decision on what to buy.

Yung.gunr

To all those who provided some ideas- thank you for that and keep them coming.
I had not known of the Charter Arms, I will have to suggest she take a look at it.
Does the NAA trigger function like a normal trigger? It looks way different from anything I have ever shot.
Glad to hear some good things about the Heritage.

To those who suggest I pretty much butt out, thank you for your opinions. My helping her get ideas is proof that she makes her own decisions on what she will shoot. If it were up to me she would be getting a Smith & Wesson 22A. My only purpose in this is to help her find her options.

Thanks all.

Edit to apologize- my wife read this and thought it sounded like I was upset or harsh. Sorry, that is not what was intended, mainly saying that this will definitely be her choice and not mine. Have a good night all and happy shooting.

Last edited:

mbainton

Where can I find Pink Black Widow grips

I recently purchased a 22m Black Widow for a gift I want to change out the hand grips to pink but I'm un-able to find them any where. Does anyone know where I can find them or what other model would use the same size grips so I can search for them? Thanks for your help!

redlevel42

If you go the single-action revolver route, forget the others and find a Ruger Single Six convertible that has the mag and LR cylinder. You can find them used for very reasonable prices. There is nothing more fun at the range, unless it is a double action .22 revolver. If you go the double action route, find her a S&W Model 63 or Model 34. Either 2 inch or 4 inch. It will cost a little more, but you won't wind up with a worthless piece of junk. You can always get your money back on a trade if she decides she wants a center fire revolver later.

You/she can learn an awful lot about trigger control with a double action .22 S&W revolver. Burning a bunch of ammo is about the best way to gain proficiency as a shooter, especially if you are actually practicing to gain skill rather than just making noise. I have noticed that semi-auto shooters tend to enjoy the noise aspect moreso than revolver shooters.;)

Don't automatically dismiss the .22, especially the magnum, as a defensive weapon. Better than a sharp stick. Better than a .25 auto. I believe it is just as good as a .380.