The weight of ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbclarkson

Hello. First post in quite a while.

I am following an auction that is selling loose ammunition by weight, for example: "31.5 lbs 223 Rem reloads in a steel ammo can", and "26.7 lbs 9mm in a steel ammo can". How do I approximate the number of rounds in the can? Is a website out there that lists rounds by average weight? And, what is the weight of a steel ammo can?

Thanks everyone!

The weight of an ammo can depends on what ammo can. Also, is the weight supposed to be the total weight of the ammo plus the can, or is it what the statement implies -- "xx pounds of ammunition ... in a steel ammo can"?

Why would you risk buying ammunition that was reloaded by someone you don't know, and don't know anything about?>

JohnKSa

Administrator
Agree. If they say there are so many lbs of ammo in a can, the weight of the can shouldn't be included.

As far as the number of rounds, my personal opinion is that it's moot. I wouldn't pay anything more than metal scrap value for the reloads, and then only if shipping were free.

Without any more information on the 9mm, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay much more than scrap value either since that's what you might end up with.

44 AMP

Staff
Both 9x19 and 5.56mm rounds weight a bit over .4 oz, each.

round off to half an ounce, go from there...

Nathan

223/9mm
Primer - 5/5
Case = 91/61
Powder = 25/5
Bullet = 55/124

Weight(gr) = 176/195

7000 gr per lb

# per lb = 40/36

31.5lb 223 = 1260 rnds

26.7lb 9mm - 961 rnds

Mal H

Staff
gbclarkson has received some of the information he was seeking concerning the weight of the two calibers and how to approximate the numbers of rounds. He has also received some advice on whether to use that ammo or not. The decision to buy it or not is strictly his decision to make. Further input isn't necessary.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.