The wait is over, picked up my custom 3 caliber Colt 1991A1 today!

WC145

I've owned a bunch of custom 1911s, still have several and they're all great guns, but they had all been built for someone else. Something I had never done was commission a custom 1911 build for myself. Last year I decided it was time. I had this full size ORM 1991A1 .38 Super that I'd picked up a few years ago and had an idea to have it built into an all around, do everything gun, something I could use for competition, self defense, hunting, whatever I felt like. I took it to my friends at Dietrich Gunsmithy in Otis, ME. Robin, the gunsmith, is a very talented young guy and has done lots of work for me on other guns, including a custom revolver build for my wife. He knows the kind of stuff I like and we discussed what to do with the Super. I gave him a short list of the things I was looking for, I wanted it to have three barrels - .38 Super, 9mm, and 9x23 Winchester, a 10-8 U-notch rear sight and a gold bead front, the roll marks removed from the slide, mirror polished flats and matte rounds, and I wanted everything black. He took it from there.

We spoke a number of times over the course of the build, he'd show me a little of this or that when I stopped in the shop for other stuff. I had my worries about whether I'd like it when it was done. We had set a price up front, it was going to be expensive, I could have bought a high end production gun instead, but I really wanted one built just for me. The finish ended up being a big issue because there isn't much available for a polished black finish and I didn't want it blued, I have a high polish blued custom already and I wanted something tougher and more durable. In the end we went with Ionbond DLC because it is pretty much the only black finish that doesn't hide the metal. Like a blued gun, if the bare metal is polished, then it will show the same polish after being finished. It is also very hard and scratch resistant. Every piece of the gun except the springs has been coated.

Anyway, after a year and a half, I picked it up today and it is perfect. The polish and finish are amazing, it is all jet black, just the way I wanted it. All of the internals are Wilson and Brown, naturally everything has been hand fitted. All of the checkering and serrations were done by hand. I got the grips from Wicked Grips, I need to do just a bit of fitting on them. I've only had time to shoot one mag through it and it shoots like a dream with the 9mm barrel. I couldn't be happier with it. Tomorrow I'll be trying out the Super and 9x23 barrels as well and will see what I can do with it at 25yds.
I'll be showing it off on a few different forums so some of you will see this post elsewhere.
Here are some pics-

This is what I gave him to work with...
530552_464705043576094_2132850308_n.jpg

This is what I picked up today...
20141011_162243.jpg

20141011_162026.jpg

20141011_162809.jpg

20141011_164330.jpg

Woodslab

That is a kinda nice a looking gun. A guy I shoot with let me shoot his 1911
38 super. One of the most pleasant rounds and gun to shoot. 1260 fps if I remember.

Jim Watson

Looks nice.
But fixed sights for three different barrels for three different rounds is asking a lot of the barrel fit and ammo.

KyJim

I agree, it's a beautiful gun. I have that same sight set-up on one of my 1911s and love it (.140" rear notch). And, I'm always attracted to shiny guns. :)

Sevens

Well, that finish is simply gorgeous. Fine work on that target at 12 yards with cheap ammo, also. Thus far, I'd say there's plenty to be happy about!

2ndsojourn

To me, 1 1/2 years is a long time, and the only excuse for taking a long time is a nice job. And he certainly did a nice job on that.

WC145

Thanks all, I'll pass the compliments on to the gunsmith.

Looks nice.
But fixed sights for three different barrels for three different rounds is asking a lot of the barrel fit and ammo.
Yes and no. The barrels were fitted to the slide, same as you normally would, except instead of fitting one, he fitted three and they each have their own fitted bushing. Shooting straight shouldn't be an issue, and while I expect that some loads will shoot to POA, others that are substantially different in velocity will probably shoot a little higher or lower. I don't think there will be huge differences, nothing that can't be compensated for with practice and knowing where different loads impact at specific ranges.