The Use of Ed's Red

wolfz

I'm wondering if anyone knows the effect Ed's Red (kerosene/acetone/mineral spirits/ATF) has on blueing?
Thx, wolfz

denfoote

I read on another board (Glockalk) that the stuff is pretty toxic. It is also not very good for polymer frames. I would think that it probably would not harm blueing though. Just like shirts, test it first to see if the bluing fades. I would not use it though because of the toxicity problem.

------------------
Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

JoeHatley

wolfz,

I can't speak about the original formula, but I use a similar mix to completely emerse my handguns in for cleaning. Only difference is I substitute Rislone and Marvel's Mystery Oil for the acetone. I make up a gallon and a half at a time.

Got the idea after seeing the Ed's Red formula and talking with an auto mechanic, who made his own solvent for his parts washing sink.

I've soaked blued, stainless, Ruger case hardened finish, and baked on Teflon finished handguns, for up to two days with no ill effects.

BTW: they come out great!!!

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

MADISON

I have been using Ed's Red for 5 years, without the ACETONE and LANOLIN.

I sooak my guns overnight, except for the Glock. The Glock barrel is soaked overnight.
I have had no ill effects and it is a lot cheeper than the commercial gun cleaners.

johnwill

I would take the posts in the Glock forum with a grain of salt. None of the people that were panning Ed's Red ever used it, it hasn't damaged any of my Glocks, and they've seen it lots of times.

wolfz

Joe,

Thanks for the help. My formulation is equal parts kerosene,mineral spirits,acetone and ATF44. Do you know if this close to the original formula? Also, I like to try your formula with the rislone and the Marvel's. Can you send me your secret recipe?

thx, John (wolfz)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeHatley:
wolfz,

I can't speak about the original formula, but I use a similar mix to completely emerse my handguns in for cleaning. Only difference is I substitute Rislone and Marvel's Mystery Oil for the acetone. I make up a gallon and a half at a time.

Got the idea after seeing the Ed's Red formula and talking with an auto mechanic, who made his own solvent for his parts washing sink.

I've soaked blued, stainless, Ruger case hardened finish, and baked on Teflon finished handguns, for up to two days with no ill effects.

BTW: they come out great!!!

Joe

[/quote]