The Ultimate target pistol, S&W 52-2

HighValleyRanch

I was doing a detail cleaning of my old Smith model 52 yesterday and though that I would share this beauty with you all, as it is rather scarce these days.
The Smith and Wesson model 52 was designed for one purpose only. That of the ultimate centerfire target pistol for bullseye competition. The magazine is designed to hold only 5 rounds of .38 special midrange wadcutters. Each gun is hand fitted and ransom tested to hold 2" at 50 yards before being shipped out.

I bought this gun new in the mid 1980's in my bullseye competition days. In those days these were running around the 850.00 price range. High price even back in those days! I had to scrounge every cent to get this piece.

The shine and blueing has held up amazinly well over all these years of hard use.
Years of battering around in my pachmyer target box, thousands of rounds of practice and competition, the shine and blueing still look amazing.

Here is a link to more information on the history of the Smith 52:
https://gunsmagazine.com/smith-wessons-model-52-38-master/

So while I was cleaning this back to new, I was wondering if there are any new all steel guns out there with this type of shiney blueing. The new Colt commander I bought last year had a much duller blue. It took hours of polishing at Smiths center to get the base for these lustrous blue coatings.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05480.JPG
    DSC05480.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 374

T. O'Heir

"...The Ultimate target pistol..." Lots of far better target pistols around. The Smith 52 is up there for one of the best .38 Special target pistols though. Along with Cold Gold Cup .38 WC shooting 1911A1's. But they've been superseded, long ago, by .32 calibre Walthers, Uniques, etc, that ran $2500ish Cdn. in the 1980's.

DaleA

A VERY nice pistol. Sounds like it has been used and appreciate a lot which has GOT to generate some good Karma.

One totally unimportant and immaterial fact about the gun you failed to mention though is that when grade B mystery writers write:

"I ducked around the corner and slid a fresh clip of .38 specials into my gun."

They get to claim "Well of course I was talking about the S&W Model 52."

223 shooter

I recall in the early 1990s competing in an indoor pistol league with my Smith 2 1/2" 66 revolver , I came in second but the guy that beat be had a Smith 52! Very nice Model 52 you have there - a true classic!

dgludwig

I've competed with a Model 52 in Bullseye matches for the past several decades. As HighValleyRanch noted, this grand old pistol, with its impeccable workmanship and beautiful finish, was developed for Bullseye shooting; derived from its Model 39 heritage. Sadly, they can't make them like this anymore and still be affordable to most shooters.

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

There's a fellow on youtube with an early model Smith 52 that is DA on the first shot and SA after that. I didn't know such a model existed. Must have been the transition from the model 39.

Sevens

If it's the video that I think it is, that idiot needs to be flogged for the way he handles that pistol.

I believe they made 3500 of the original no-dash 52 and every one of those pistols is DA/SA, but there is a set-screw that locks out the double-action capability and most folks keep them that way. The ability to use double action ended with the 52-1, which also added frame grooves and a divot for the factory counterweight.

bac1023

Yes, the no dash uses a modified Model 39 trigger mechanism.

The 52-1 got its own trigger. The 52-2 got a new extractor. I've got a -2.

Jim Watson

I had a -1, now a -2.

I understand that if you release the DA on a -0 you will have a hard time getting the lockout readjusted.

darkgael

I have lusted after a Smith 52 for years. Still do.
That being said, the ultimate target pistol is probably one of the .22 “Free” pistols by Hammerli or Pardini or Morini or TOZ.

papa shooter

model 52

I had one for a couple of years but dropped it like a hot potato when a Colt National Match .38 wadcutter pistol came my way. I would not take anything for my Colt or the look on peoples faces at the range when my .38 special brass goes flying.
My competition days are gone but I enjoy plinking with the old Colt.

Tim

dgludwig

model 52
I had one for a couple of years but dropped it like a hot potato when a Colt National Match .38 wadcutter pistol came my way.

A pity you ditched the Model 52 for the Colt. Me, though I'd love to have both, if I had to choose between between the Colt and the Smith; it'd be the Model 52 all day long. The only way to put gravy on a potato is for it to be hot. ;)

1MoreFord

I've always wanted one but it would be a safe queen and occasional range toy as I've never shot bullesye. I've never even shot one and had an ole friend who had one.

dgludwig

I've always wanted one but it would be a safe queen and occasional range toy as I've never shot bullesye.

Because you're not a Bullseye shooter and have no interest in having a "safe queen", 1MoreFord, I'm curious what you use your High Standard Victor for; a pistol developed for serious Bullseye competition if there ever was one.

HighValleyRanch

A High Standard Supermatic Trophy 107 was my very first target .22 many years ago.
It served me well for my bullseye competition days. I put over ten thousand rounds through it, and the frame finally cracked, but then a good friend took it and welded it back up for me and we got her running excellent again!
Here it is with some custom anatomical target stocks out of figured Mytle wood (Oregon Bay)
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05501.JPG
    DSC05501.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 136

dgludwig

Very nice pistol, HighValleyRanch. Did the frame crack using only standard velocity ammunition? As you probably know, it's been reported many times that High Standard .22 target autos can develop a crack using a lot of hv stuff. But then, run enough of anything (several thousand rounds, in your case), even standard velocity ammunition, through most any pistol is going to cause a crack over time.

HighValleyRanch

No, the frame cracked from my use of hyper velocity ammunition. My fault.
It cracked right where predicted, in the corner of the mag well at the thinnes point.
Even with it welded back, the grip frame warped a little, but not enough to make it unfunctionable.
I also dry fired it everyday for years, and the chamber got peened like predicted. The first few times I took it to a gunsmith who used the special tool to pull the peen out and then reform it back to original. But after a few times of that, I just filed the peened bur off and it worked fine that way!LOL. I used a plastic tab and inserted it between the slide so the gun could still dry fire, but the firing pin could not damage the chamber face.