The Ugly Duckling...

CajunBass

I may have told this story, if so bear with me. I took some new pictures the other day, and wanted to show them off.

Several months ago I almost passed on a Smith & Wesson Model 19 (no dash), four screw. The gun locked up tight, everything mechanical checked out fine, but it was "finish challenged" shall we say.

Scratches, worn lackluster blue, some fine surface rust, and just general "crud" all over it. I thought I might send it off to have it refinished.

But figuring I had nothing to lose, I cleaned it with Gunscrubber, Hoppes, and elbow grease. Then I took Flitz Polish to the metal. I know a lot of people say Flitz can harm the finish, but in this case, as I said, nothing to lose.

I put the polish on by hand, allowed it to dry, then buffed it off by hand with a soft cloth. I'm not sure how many times I did that, but it was three or four. Then I applied Pledge Furniture polish to it several times also. Not the best thing I'm sure, but it's what I had, and it won't hurt anything. Same deal. Spray it on a cloth, wipe it on, let it dry, hand buff off.

I got some pictures the other day out in the sun for the first time.

It doesn't look like new by any means. There are still scratches, there are still places where bare metal shows, but those scratches, and blue edges are softer now, the fine rust and "patina" are gone. What's left of the blue reflects light like a mirror.

Since those pictures I've cleaned the grips with warm water, soap and a spong and towel Got a lot of black and brown stuff off them, and cleaned out the checkering. Then a couple coats of the same Pledge and they look a lot better too.

walks with gun

Looks great, you don't want it looking so new your afraid to holster it and use the snot out of it anyhow. Should make a great defense or woods gun.

J A

Nice Grips!

The model 19 turned out very nice. It was well worth your time to give it a good cleaning and polish. And I love the grips. They turned out great also. You just can't beat a 4 inch model 19. One of S&Ws finest revolvers. Good job on the rescue. JA

Duster340

X2 on JERRYS' comment. Safe queens are nice for sure, but I do love guns that have been used and show it.

Nice revolver Cajunbass!