The UGLIEST SW in the World

It looks like Smith and Wesson sold out like Taurus and Remington. A built-in, non-removable gun lock. The straw has broken this camel's back. :(
locked.jpg

treeprof

I LOOKED over some new S&W stuff during a "S&W Days" sale locally, and all of the new scandium pistols have these (they had one for display only), as do recently made titaniums. Eventually, the whole line will have them according to the rep. In keeping w/the agreement, I believe.

For those interested in buying a scandium, he also said the delay in the scandiums was due to the CA testing, and that they'd be offered for sale once CA gave them the thumbs up. Not only is S&W following thru on the agreement, but they are apparently letting the states with the most draconian gun laws dictate their marketing/manufacturing decisions.

Also, everything comes with a fired case from the ballistic fingerprint testing and when I specifically asked whether the locks were related to the Saf T Hammer puyrchase he said "no, a prior committment".

VictorLouis

Which are you referring to in the photo?

The new 'screw'(allen?) above the thumb latch, or the lanyard coming off the backstrap?

treeprof

What appears to be the lanyard is the key for the lock, I believe. It looks a bit like a Torx-style screw head.

dewey

Guess I need to keep adding pre 1957s to my meager
collection. JUST WHAT I NEEDED ! ...another excuse
....dewey

loknload

No New Ones for Me

I'm afraid with this addition,:barf: There will be no new Smiths making residence in my safe:rolleyes: But that's okay because there are plenty of good used ones out there that need a new home;) And they have more class

David Scott

S&W still bites, but IMHO the built-in key lock is not a "sellout". It's a feature; if you don't need/want to use it, just leave it unlocked. IIRC, Taurus offered to let others copy their design for the lock when it first came out, and they still put a free 1 year NRA membership voucher in every box. Cut 'em some slack.

bdhawk

locks

whats the big deal can't you just unlock it and leave it? the main problem is it was made after the agreement.

LBC

So Springfield Armory can come out with an integral 1911 lock no questions asked, but when S&W does it, it's because they're spineless? Please explain the dichotomy... LBC

uglygun

I'd just be pissed if I paid for one of those nice expensive Performance Center model 29s or 27s only to have it's overall finish totally buggered up by the addition of some gimickry.

Remember, these are swing out double action revolvers. Need to lock that thing in a hurry, throw the damned shackel of a bicycle lock over the top strap of the revolver.

Oh wait, that's too simple for the common folk to figure out isn't it? :confused: No, it's got to be integral to the design of the firearm! LOL, the stupidity of this is just enough to make me laugh but at the same time it's a sad state of affairs when the simplest techniques of rendering a gun locked and inopperable are no longer adequate and we've got to figure out some newer more complicated way of doing it and then market it to the people.

Thing that pissses me off? I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA! If I want to buy a used Smith&Wesson it's got to be on this stupid damned "approval list".

I've just gone through a headache looking for a good condition S&W Model 28 highway patrolman. There was a nice 95-98% or better Model 28 at the local gun shop on consignment but the price was awful at nearly 500 dollars.

Getting online and looking around the net I found an absolutely NIB Model 28 6 inch barreled revolver that was being offered for 370 dollars, I can't get it though as the seller lives out of state. Even though this is in effect a used gun, to do a dealer to dealer transfer and to have my dealer sell it to me once he takes delivery, that darned Model 28 has to be on the approval list.

Guys, I'm boned!

I can purchase handguns not on the approval list as long as it's a person to person transfer of a used firearm, and that's what this consignment model 28 would be treated as. But to have the dealer purchase the firearm off of somebody and try to turn around and sell it back to me, if it's not on the list it can't be sold.

GOD! SCREW YOU CALIFORNIA!

I'm also likely never going to see the Model 29 Performance Center "Hunter 44" here in Ca., S&W probably won't bother to try and get it approved if they are only going to sell 2-3 of the things a year if that.

Guys, I'm really really starting to hate liberals and especially antigunners. It's hate, there's no mistaking it. Living in Ca. for so long has made it so that I have no tolerance for them.
:barf:

loknload

No New Smiths

Well fellas it's like this, I don't own a Taurus,why because of having a feature on it that I don't want or need. How do I know that someday that wonderful new feature won't cause that gun to lock up,Yes the gun in itself could do that but why chance it with something you don't need?
A new Springfield, I doubt it, same reason. I have a prelock model and don't really need another.
Now for the Smith, Now we all know why they did it and it wasn't just to join ranks with the others. Smith sold out plain and simple, now going along with their sell out agreement they have added a feature that I do not care for... end of story. ;)

Lavan

Urgently needed! One sacrificial lamb to booger up his lock feature and get shot in a DEFENSIVE situation and sue the hell out of all these idiots.
It's a friggin GUN, stupid. It is SUPPOSED to shoot bullets. Every time it's used.
These things are about to become the most expensive bullet PULLERS on the market.

We are doomed. It must be kinda like dying. You know, for a day or so before you kick off, you look REAL good...then...plop.

Grayfox

Here's the thing. The old S&W revolver is a totaly reliable firearm. It works every time plain and simple. This new lock gimmick is untried technology. Will it someday malfunction and lock up by accident? Will it someday fail to lock when you want it to? There are no markings on it, so how do you tell if the gun is locked or not? Pull the trigger? I don't want to be the person to discover the answers to these questions.
The beauty of the revolver is its simplicity. Just point and pull the trigger. I don't need or want anything messing with that.

Now, as to Springfield and the lock they put into their 1911s. No I don't like them either, but the difference is that Springfield's lock is completely contained in the mainspring housing. If you don't want it, simply change out the mainspring housing. Its a five minute job almost anybody can do. The S&W lock is built into the frame and you're just stuck with it.

Nope, I think I'll stick with used guns when I want another S&W.

Guy B. Meredith

grayfox,

There is a lock indicator on the hammer models next to the hammer. I hope the lock is a stage in production that can be skipped if it is possible for a given customer to avoid having it installed.

Anybody interested in designing an after market kit to tidy up the gun's appearance after the owner removes the lock device?

Trouble is with lawsuits. Once a product is improved, the maker can be sued for making the older product without the safety device. You see, they manufactured and distributed into the stream of commerce a "defective product". It happened to Ruger once after the Super Blackhawk replaced the three screw Blackhawk.

Tort Reform now!