The Truth about CMP Garands

kraigwy

What is a GOOD GARAND???, how can you tell???

To determine the quality (we are talking function, not looks) we want a rifle that functions. Meaning you can load the clips into the rifle, and it will keep firing, and the action will keep functioning as long as you feed it ammo and do the proper maintenance (clean and grease, etc).

The CMP Armors take care of that before they leave the CMP stores so thats not a problem. So that leaves us with the barrel. We all know a good barrel will shoot better then a bad barrel. How do we tell? We use a throat erosion gage and a muzzle gage.

Here is the caveat. I got my rifle in '81-82 from then DCM. They didnt offer grades, they sent what ever rifle that was next in the sales rack. Mine was a 6 diget early WWII verson. First time I shot it was at a rifle match at K-Bay in Hawaii. Didn't do that bad considering it was the first time I fired that rifle. (love beating Marines at their own games).

Since then in my Sniper Schools using the Garands I shot the heck out of my rifle. Several times shooting it until the sap boiled out of the hand guards. I've shot it in NRA HP and 1000 yard matches, buy all accounts the barrel should be shot out. Maybe, maybe not.

The Throat Erosian gage measured "8", the muzzle gage measures just a hair short of "2". A barrel like that should be a NO-GO when picking out a Garand, but is it??

Below is a NRA 200 yards reduced to 100 yard target (SR-1). Using the normal prone position (sling unsupported) I fired 8 rounds (174 pulled surplus bullets and LC 62 M-72 Brass). As you can see, if I would have came right one click and up one click I would have cleaned the target. Thats a hair over 3 MOA. A "3" MOA rifle would clean the 600 yard target (assuming the shooter could). Examining my SA CMP (DCM) Garand, it would be considered a "Rack Grade", Even as wore out as it is, the Rifle is Capable of Cleaning the Targets used in the CMP GSM Garand Matches. Its the shooter that's the weak link in the chain.

So next time someone tells you the CMP rifles are Junk, take this into account. If you can shoot them, the worse Garand coming out of CMP is more then capable of shooting excellant scores on the GSM Course of fire. Ask yourself if the $1000 pawn shop gun is really any better then the $500 CMP Garands. Plus you need to add in the fact that if you CMP rifle some how sneaks out of the CMP stores with a problem, CMP will rectify it, not sure the same can be said for your Pawn Shop Guns.

M1%20Target.JPG

DCM%20M1.jpg

Maximus856

Being active duty, what do I need to send to join the CMP? I was interested in buying 2 garands (one for my father, and one for myself). I can't view the forms on this computer, so any information will be appreciated until I can access a computer with the correct program. Also, any idea if my father could pickup the firearms for me? I'm currently deployed and he has power of attorney.

EDIT: I believe I just read that the rifles can be sent to a personal address. Is this the truth or did I misinterpret that?

Thanks,
-Max.

kraigwy

Yes they send them directly to your home, no FFL involved. It has to be an address, not a PO Box. Also an adult (not necessary the buyer) had to be available to sign for the purchase.

Eligability Requirements:

Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

Proof of Age:
You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization:
You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.

Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.
- Current or past law enforcement service
- Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
- Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
- Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
- Concealed Carry License.
- Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
- FFL or C&R license.
- Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

AS a side note: As per the quote, your Military Id will cover all the requirements, Proof of Citizenship, Age, Club Memebership, and proof of marksmanship training.

Last edited:

bassfishindoc

I haven't heard too many complaints about CMP rifles. I love mine, it is a SA service grade and once the cosmoline was cleaned up it looks gorgeous, plus it is very accurate. I think it's funny that someone will spend $1000 on a pawn shop Garand over a CMP one when the pawn shop Garand was probably originally purchased from the CMP.

MythBuster

The fit of the stock and handguards and the fit of the gas cylinder and OP rod mean so much on a Garand.

You can take a Garand with a new premium barrel and it will not shoot well at all if everything else it not properly fitted.

One with a worn barrel but correctly fitted every where will out shoot it by a HUGE margin.

Maximus856

Thank you much Mr. Stuart :) I've read a little bit about them and was thinking a field grade H&R and a service grade SA. I have no real reasoning behind it aside from one being a bit cheaper then the other, and wanting to see if there's even the slightest difference aside from an extra ding or two.

-Max

Last edited:

Iron Man

I own two CMP Garrands. One of them had white paint speckled all over it and was covered in grease. The barrel read a "0" and I bought it on the spot. I took it home, cleaned it up and refinished it for shooting. In the process I found range notes in the stock from a WWII soldier. This one will never leave my home unless it is stolen, or I am dead.

BombthePeasants

Mr. Stuart, I relish your posts on the garand. With mustard even!

My 2 CMP Garands:

2garands.jpg

the top one is a Field Grade, and it shoots fantastic! $450 for that thing, and it shoots as well as the $900 Correct grade below it! (that gun gets stored away for the zombie invasion)

I firmly believe that the CMP program is the best thing since the invention of beer.

Tim R

To build on Mr Stuart's post if I can let me tell you all about my first S/G rifle and the CMP. Well I did order a M-1 from the old DCM program. I recieved a post war and correct M-1 which I turned into a 308 match gun by sending it off to a gun plummer. Absolutley a awsome M-1. Even the women's think it's pretty. But I got off my own topic here.

I orded a CMP service grade back when they S/G's went for $400.00. I recieved a Korea era Springer which appeared to have been used some. It was a little more beat up than the current S/G's coming out of the CMP. I wanted a rifle to shoot in the John C, Garand matches which were held once in awhile about 2 hours away from me.

I found there was some sort of junk in the barrel. No matter what I did I could not get the barrel completely clean. I called the CMP and spoke to one of the guys. I was told they could put a 60's barrel on it as they had a little better rifling than what I had. I told the guy I would think about it as I wanted a shooter but I also liked the history. So I cleaned some more. Keep in mind I used a coated cleaning rod and a muzzel guide. I have the kind of jag which a GI patch is wrapped around. I use Shooters Choice for solvent. I tried JB bore paste and a bunch of bronse brushes. Still the junk remained. With a strong light I could see some sort of hard junk in the grooves of the barrel.

I took the rifle out and shot it again and could not get the kind of group I was after and it made lots of copper. So for $19.95 I sent it back less wood to the CMP for a 60's barrel. The rifle was gone for about two weeks. When it returned the only thing the wife heard was WOW.

The 60's barrel they had put on was a 60's alright but appeered to be unfired. I also got a new op rod, trigger group, gas cly; front sight and bolt. They rebuilt the rifle! The nice thing was they used all S/A parts.

Today I'm involved with one of our local clubs who puts on a Garand match twice a year. I loan my rifles to those who don't have a M-1 of their own as does several of my shooting buddies.

bamaranger

good results

I bought a gun shop Garand 15 yrs ago, not really sure what I was doing, but I wanted a Garand and the shop had a rack of Arlington Ord rifles for around $335. The bbl was marked LMR with a date in the 50's and the rifle had a NM (which I knew was National Match) op rod. The NM op rod seemed promising.
It had an awful teak or mahogany stock.

The throat gauged 4 at the time, , but the muzzle failed the "bright ring test" with a loaded ctg, never have put a gauge on the muzzle. I knew nothing of these tests and bought the rifle on the promise of the NM op rod. At a gun show a guy gauged the throat for me and commented on the muzzle erosion.

Some 1000 rds later, the darn thing still shoots into 3 moa with ball ammo and 2 moa with 168 gr match reloads, to this day.

You guys are my Garand role models, other than a local friend/coworker marksman who knows quite a bit about them.

kraigwy's and bamaranger's experiences are inspiring, among others'.

My very nice '55 Service Grade is lonely.

Last edited:

wyobohunter

(love beating Marines at their own games).

Eh... you just say that because it's noteworthy when it happens (on rare occasion):p

Oh, and yes I bought my Garand locally and I will not try to justify my mistake. It looks nice and shoots nice but I should've bought a CMP and saved some $.

Ben Towe

Dang it boys, you've pushed me over the edge. Now I gotta have one. Can you go to one of their stores and buy one and skip all the shipping hullabaloo? Being able to hand pick one would be nice too.

kraigwy

Can you go to one of their stores and buy one and skip all the shipping hullabaloo? Being able to hand pick one would be nice too.

Yes, you still have to meet all the eligibility requirements but you can pick through them at the store and take them with you out the door.

Having said that, you have to pay the respective state's sales tax. The shipping is less then the sales tax. What you can do, is pick your rifle, then have the CMP ship the rifle to your home, saving a bit in the difference between the Sales Tax and Shipping Cost.

I was going to do that, I was scheduled to attend the GSM MI Clinic at Perry, I was going to pick up a carbine. That was in Sept. In June my wife talked me into going a head and ordering it so I ordered an rack grade Underwood, great rifle. But come Sept (when I was planning on getting the carbine at the store, THEY WERE ALL GONG. I lucked out, listening to my wife.

That shouldn't be a problem with the the M1s for a while yet.